Sherlock Holmes was an idiot

Watch
jakeel1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
He didn't even realise he was using induction not deduction.
Bruise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong, but deduction is an ancillary of critical rationalism, which was discovered by Karl Popper as a rebuke to induction (logical positivism) as favoured by the Vienna circle during the 1930s.

When did Sherlock live? Is he even real?
jakeel1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bruise)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but deduction is an ancillary of critical rationalism, which was discovered by Karl Popper as a rebuke to induction (logical positivism) as favoured by the Vienna circle during the 1930s.

When did Sherlock live? Is he even real?
Deduction means to reason from the general to the particular, assuming the premise is true the conclusion is absolutely certain. Sherlock Holmes almost never did this, he used induction which is uncertain and appeals to probability. You are correct with respect to history, I am talking about the so called brilliance of the fictional character.
Bruise
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jakeel1)
Deduction means to reason from the general to the particular, assuming the premise is true the conclusion is absolutely certain. Sherlock Holmes almost never did this, he used induction which is uncertain and appeals to probability. You are correct with respect to history, I am talking about the so called brilliance of the fictional character.
Are you saying that Sherlock was dumb for using this logic? Should he have used deductive logic? Is it even possible to use deductive logo in that kind of detective investigation?
jakeel1
Rep:
?
Are you saying that Sherlock was dumb for using this logic? Should he have used deductive logic? Is it even possible to use deductive logo in that kind of detective investigation?
I am saying the author who wrote such an interesting character who was an 'astute logical reasoner' didn't even know the difference between these two elementary terms, which is rather amusing, given logics obsession with the correct form.
Bruise
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jakeel1)
I am saying the author who wrote such an interesting character who was an 'astute logical reasoner' didn't even know the difference between these two elementary terms, which is rather amusing, given logics obsession with the correct form.
You know what they say, if you're good at English, you're bad at maths and vice versa!
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He was often out of his mind on heroin, so it's easy to see how he made the mistake.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You know what they say, if you're good at English, you're bad at maths and vice versa!
Where is maths involved?
lustawny
Badges: 6
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
He was often out of his mind on heroin, so it's easy to see how he made the mistake.
I thought it was cocaine?
Bruise
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Where is maths involved?

Oh that's a good question. Logic in itself is inherently related to maths. You could argue it's both related to maths and English. The number 4 is mathematical but is the word 'four' not as mathematical as 4?
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lustawny)
I thought it was cocaine?
He took it by IV, so I always assumed it was heroin, but possibly.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He uses both, but he basically acknowledges that there is a possibility that he doesn't have all the information so there is a chance that his logical premises are wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (112)
28.21%
No - I have already returned home (51)
12.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
20.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (115)
28.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed