The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So if I were to go to Notts and do Finance, Accounting and Management, does that mean I'm not on equal footing as a Notts grad with Econs?
Reply 21
Original post by makrxx
So if I were to go to Notts and do Finance, Accounting and Management, does that mean I'm not on equal footing as a Notts grad with Econs?

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Accounting%20%26%20Finance
If this rankings are to be trusted, you should consider Bath if you want to do Finance and Accounting.
Original post by makrxx

You're still at Notts.. It won't make too much of a difference all else equal.

Econ grads tend to have stronger a-levels than the FAM course but If yours are strong enough it wouldn't matter. Just focus on ECs and bagging work experience/insight days.
Reply 23
Thanks guys. I'm an international student so did not do As. Not confident in doing well for a 3 year Economics degree hence I opted for FAM as I'm slightly stronger in finance and accounting.

I've also had offers from Durham and Manchester. Read how good Durham is but I just wouldn't want to be in the small town of Stockton.

Lastly, saw how certain Notts societies have some top banks and IBs as sponsors, does that help in any way or just something for them to show off?
Original post by harry218
Hi everyone, I am having difficulties deciding on which universities for my 1st/2nd choice, I am still waiting for LSE to reply, if I am fortunate to get an offer ofc I will make that my first, however in case I do not, i am struggling to decide on my choices, so far I am thinking the best option is 1st-nottingham and 2nd-bristol however i am not 100%, they are all top 10 or maybe 15 uk universities but bath is not a russell group would this matter? what are everyones thoughts on which university would be best for a career in investment banking

I go to notts to study econ, probably the best shout for IB :smile:
Hi everyone, I am having difficulties deciding on which universities for my 1st/2nd choice, I am still waiting for LSE to reply, if I am fortunate to get an offer ofc I will make that my first, however in case I do not, i am struggling to decide on my choices, so far I am thinking the best option is 1st-nottingham and 2nd-bristol however i am not 100%, they are all top 10 or maybe 15 uk universities but bath is not a russell group would this matter? what are everyones thoughts on which university would be best for a career in investment banking

Bristol is a UK top 10, Nottingham close to a UK top 10, likewise Bath. Don't get fooled by the UK rankings, they DO NOT measure prestige or quality of universities.
Forget Bath. Bristol and Nottingham are similar in prestige but not sure which one is better. They both are beautiful universities. Nottingham is a campus university with gardens and mansions. Bristol blends into the city and looks a bit like Oxbridge.
Original post by Raymat
Forget Bath. Bristol and Nottingham are similar in prestige but not sure which one is better. They both are beautiful universities. Nottingham is a campus university with gardens and mansions. Bristol blends into the city and looks a bit like Oxbridge.

Bristol and Bath are still more competitive (480 points) than Nottingham (440 points) on average across the board. Though for Economics Nottingham requires A*AA, so for the subject in question Nottingham is very competitive.
I heard that employers esp IBs rarely know about the rankings/competitiveness for subjects but mainly care about the overall rankings/prestige of the uni. Is this true?
I heard that employers esp IBs rarely know about the rankings/competitiveness for subjects but mainly care about the overall rankings/prestige of the uni. Is this true?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
If you want to do IB, then Bath. Because Bath focuses on placements it has links with lots of the big investment banks e.g. UBS and HSBC have internship spots specifically for Bath econ students, and quite a few others ended up at Goldman Sachs etc. on placement year. Also links with Blackrock and Citi. If you look at employability, Bath normally ranks higher than others
(edited 9 years ago)
Bristol init lad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complete tosh, they know LSE is best for Economics, then Cambridge, then Warwick, then Nottingham etc.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Complete tosh, they know LSE is best for Economics, then Cambridge, then Warwick, then Nottingham etc.

But they care more about the overall rep, QMUL is quite good for law but employers aren't going to be trawling through subject rankings..

They have better things to do.
Original post by Princepieman
But they care more about the overall rep, QMUL is quite good for law but employers aren't going to be trawling through subject rankings..

They have better things to do.

They will know the top 5 Law and Economics departments, and recruit mainly from there.

Bristol.
"That is better" is a very subjective question, so only based on my experience can I express my personal opinion.

Nottingham was my choice in terms of universities. I grew up in Bristol and cared little about the city, while the first time I visited I went to Nottingham. The campuses at UoN are also lovely, a little away from the city, yet close enough for convenience. The teaching and amenities standard offered in Nottingham were also exemplary for me. They have also campuses in Malaysia and China, so many graduate students can study abroad for a six months or a year.

With regard to the quality of life, it was dubbed the happiest city of the UK when I lived in Bristol, but the highest unemployment among young people. For graduates, not great. When I lived in Nottingham, there was one of the largest homelessness rates in the United Kingdom, and I witnessed a sting. It was notorious for its high crime rate with outside the city, but I did not hear of more violent crime than in Norwich (which I now live in) or Bristol.

It depends on what you think of towns and obviously different people have different opinions and experiences, but I would always recommend Nottingham as a place to study.

Latest

Trending

Trending