The Student Room Group

I think I love my best friend

Hi,

I'm a Fresher at university and I'm really enjoying my time here. Over the last week, I've realised that I think I love my straight best mate, Jimmy (I've changed his name). He's broken up with his girlfriend recently and I've been helping him with that and, having been spending loads of time with him, I just feel so complete when he's about. I'm a straight guy as well and I realise there's a clear "He's straight" thing, but I don't even love him on a sexual level - it's just entirely beyond that. I just miss his company the whole time and find myself utterly content just to sit there and have him in my company. I go out of my way to see him and I find myself continually replaying moments we're together. I'm not even especially clingy with him, I have loads of other mates so it's not a case of me being a loner. My dream would be to spend the rest of my life with him without ever having sex and I'd be just so incredibly happy. (Genuinely, on no planet is this a sexual love - it's just not.)

I have two main questions here: 1) I realise this isn't exactly normal, but do you think I should say anything? and 2) If I don't, should I continue to be his best mate (like, we're just so incredibly close)?

It's a very bizarre situation, but any help would be whole-heartedly appreciated!!
Hey anonymous, I really don't think there's anything bizarre about loving your best friend. He is after all, your best friend.

You enjoy his company. You love sharing things with him. You want to help him get through a break up because you want him to feel better. Why? Because he is your best mate! You know he'd do the same for you!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm a Fresher at university and I'm really enjoying my time here. Over the last week, I've realised that I think I love my straight best mate, Jimmy (I've changed his name). He's broken up with his girlfriend recently and I've been helping him with that and, having been spending loads of time with him, I just feel so complete when he's about. I'm a straight guy as well and I realise there's a clear "He's straight" thing, but I don't even love him on a sexual level - it's just entirely beyond that. I just miss his company the whole time and find myself utterly content just to sit there and have him in my company. I go out of my way to see him and I find myself continually replaying moments we're together. I'm not even especially clingy with him, I have loads of other mates so it's not a case of me being a loner. My dream would be to spend the rest of my life with him without ever having sex and I'd be just so incredibly happy. (Genuinely, on no planet is this a sexual love - it's just not.)

I have two main questions here: 1) I realise this isn't exactly normal, but do you think I should say anything? and 2) If I don't, should I continue to be his best mate (like, we're just so incredibly close)?

It's a very bizarre situation, but any help would be whole-heartedly appreciated!!

Darling I'm not going to be of any help but I shall type some **** anyway.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how much I care about my closest friends, especially because I've been going through **** with my mental health over the past few years and I don't think I'd be alive without them. Sometimes I worry over them like a parent, sometimes I go crying to them like a child. And I hate that we might not be 'together forever', which is easy to confuse with romantic love, but I know what romantic love feels like and it's just different. I love my best friend more than I've ever loved anyone. And because we're girls, we talk more openly about this stuff which makes me feel more secure that we won't lose each other.
So back to your thing, he's your best friend and since you don't have sexual feelings for him, you might just be a very compassionate person who wishes to express the love of a strong friendship in a way that seems a bit intense to others.
Original post by PeanutAvenger
Hey anonymous, I really don't think there's anything bizarre about loving your best friend. He is after all, your best friend.

You enjoy his company. You love sharing things with him. You want to help him get through a break up because you want him to feel better. Why? Because he is your best mate! You know he'd do the same for you!

I was tempted to say this but the whole "I go out of my way to see him and I find myself continually replaying moments we're together." - that sounds beyond the realms of normal to me...
Unless it's making you unhappy just go with it. Don't need to over analyse things. I wouldn't say anything, what are you gonna say?
Reply 5
Original post by Adipoptosis
I was tempted to say this but the whole "I go out of my way to see him and I find myself continually replaying moments we're together." - that sounds beyond the realms of normal to me...

See, I think this but there's not a lot I can do to stop myself feeling this way! I have the presence of mind to realise it's not normal, which is why I'm posting on here - any ideas on what/if I should do something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending