The Student Room Group

What would you consider cheating in a relationship?

Me and my man were having a heated discussion today about what is and isn't acceptable in a relationship. Basically I think cheating is sexual contact from kissing to sex, and emotional bonding/confidence that interferes with or replaces our emotional bonding as cheating. Also dancing/grinding on others is cheating, but he doesn't think so. Whats your view on what's considered cheating in a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BunnyMisery246
Me and my man were having a heated discussion today about what is and isn't acceptable in a relationship. Basically I think cheating is sexual contact from kissing to sex, and emotional bonding/confidence that interferes with or replaces our emotional bonding as cheating. Also dancing/grinding on others is cheating, but he doesn't think so. Whats your view on what's considered cheating in a relationship?

Texting arrangements blow jobs kissing all cheating if you were happy you wouldn't need to look elsewhere

What does he consider cheating actual sex, I'd kiss his friend and say ahhh it's not cheating we didn't have sex (I wouldn't but most girls would in that situation)
He thinks it's fine if another girl is grinding on him in a nightclub and flirting with the opposite sex isn't cheating either, but anything else he would consider cheating the same as me. Personally I think all of that is cheating, but that's just my view.
He thinks it's fine if another girl is grinding on him in a nightclub and flirting with the opposite sex isn't cheating either, but anything else he would consider cheating the same as me. Personally I think all of that is cheating, but that's just my view.

If my bf did that he'd have nothing worth grinding for let me tell you.... That's sexual contact it's a sexual thing to do this man lives on another planet in the nicest possible way
Reply 5
Cheating is devoting sexual attention to another person in any physical form.
I might be tempted to. No matter who you have, there is always someone better..

That's why I multiple date instead of settling with anyone. Having as much fun with as many different girls as possible before I decide to settle for one for my entire life.

How can I put it...
It's like having an icecream stand and there is the options of chocolate, strawberry, vanilla.....

Now, most guys think they can just pick lets say strawberry, think it's good and stick with it. (Pick a girlfriend and stick with her).
Then they somehow accidentally try chocolate and think, hold on, I like this much more. (Cheat on the girl for someone else).
And repeat.

I acknowledge this and thus want to taste everything so I know that when I make my final decision, and order my life time supply of it, I will truly love it. (When I find the girl I know I like I wont be tempted with other girls).

-- Don't know why I said all this, just read the title and rolled with it without reading the description :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iAmanze

That's why I multiple date instead of settling with anyone. Having as much fun with as many different girls as possible before I decide to settle for one for my entire life.

How can I put it...
It's like having an icecream stand and there is the options of chocolate, strawberry, vanilla.....

Now, most guys think they can just pick lets say strawberry, think it's good and stick with it. (Pick a girlfriend and stick with her).
Then they somehow accidentally try chocolate and think, hold on, I like this much more. (Cheat on the girl for someone else).
And repeat.

I acknowledge this and thus want to taste everything so I know that when I make my final decision, and order my life time supply of it, I will truly love it. (When I find the girl I know I like I wont be tempted with other girls).

You will end up very lonely. If a woman did that she would be called every name under the sun also that's no way to treat a lady
Original post by iAmanze

How can I put it...

And repeat.

As long as you're upfront and honest with the girls you're dating at the time, theres no problem with that. As long as you're not promising commitment or telling her she's the only one then it can't be considered cheating.
As long as you're upfront and honest with the girls you're dating at the time, theres no problem with that. As long as you're not promising commitment or telling her she's the only one then it can't be considered cheating.

The word cheating implies the lady believes it's a relationship 0% honesty
Also find men that say that are usually only using their right hand and they wish they were some lothario with women falling at their feet. Normally just a person acting the big I am when in reality they've never had a gf

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think flirting is cheating, as long as everyone involved knows the boundaries. But that's what works for me personally. If I was with someone who was uncomfortable with that, I would alter my behaviour.

I think anything you need to hide... kissing, sexual contact, inappropriate messages (as in, sexual or secret) or emotional connections that go beyond friendship... would be cheating.
I reckon it doesn't matter what label you put on it, if it's something he wouldn't do infront of you he shouldn't be doing it at all.
Original post by carlaraptor
I don't think flirting is cheating, as long as everyone involved knows the boundaries. But that's what works for me personally. If I was with someone who was uncomfortable with that, I would alter my behaviour.

I think anything you need to hide... kissing, sexual contact, inappropriate messages (as in, sexual or secret) or emotional connections that go beyond friendship... would be cheating.
Doesn't flirting give off mixed signals though? What may be harmless flirting to you could mean to the person you're flirting with "he/she clearly likes me" or "he/she wants to sleep with me" and therefore try and take things further. Personally i'd say that's a form of emotional cheating and unacceptable.

Kissing is borderline cheating. Hugging is acceptable, but anything else, where one partner of a relationship initiates it, well, that would be cheating in my book. I'd be uncomfortable if I was in a relationship and got to a situation where another girl was grinding on me or something...in my book, that would be cheating...but then a complicating factor is context. Flirting is a minefield...but if you're in a relationship, what good does that do? I agree with the poster above in that it is cheating...if nothing else, it means your eyes are looking elsewhere...Likewise, reciprocating such actions as outlined, are also cheating in my book too.
Reply 14

In my view, cheating isn't just physical.
Any disturbance to the emotional stability of your current relationship (as a direct result of the attraction to another) is cheating in my book.

Now that doesn't mean somebody can't fantasise about another or check somebody else out, it merely means that any attraction does not upset the balance of their current relationship.

That being said, it's well regarded that cheating is primarily a physical thing, dependent on actions, not thoughts.
Doesn't flirting give off mixed signals though? What may be harmless flirting to you could mean to the person you're flirting with "he/she clearly likes me" or "he/she wants to sleep with me" and therefore try and take things further. Personally i'd say that's a form of emotional cheating and unacceptable.

I would only flirt when the other person is aware and respectful of the fact that I have a boyfriend. I wouldn't flirt and omit the fact that I have a boyfriend - that would be wrong. In fact I'm only really flirty with friends, particularly those who understand that a) it doesn't mean anything and b) I love my boyfriend and nobody could come close to him. We are both quite flirty people but we trust each other. I'm talking very light flirting as well...

I would be annoyed if he flirted with random girls/didn't tell them about me. But neither of us are like that.

Different things work for different people/relationships.
Some good answers so far, gonna show my bf this later!
Kissing is unacceptable IMO.
Reply 18
As for the definitions that I have in my dictionary, what ever that either party does without the either parties consent or knowledge, be it virtual, emotional and physical.
Err yes there is such thing as emotional infidelity, and it's far worse than physical infidelity IMO.

Quick Reply