Will the taboo against "White"/"English"/"National" pride ever die out?

Watch
crazystudent321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Everyone is very aware of the idea of Political Correctness now, and it can be argued the obligation to be Politically Correct has gotten out of control.

Rightfully so, any form of racism is heavily frowned upon by the general public/media, so people generally aim for a neutral stance. This however seems to put a massive strain on ethnic majorities to keep politically correct. In the UK, the idea of English or White pride is usually considered racist. Political parties which boast any white or english patriotism are branded racist (some major ones being UKIP and the BNP, which are essentially racist). If a person expresses white pride or english patriotism, they will usually be frowned upon, and associated with ideology UKIP/BNP hold, which is very racist and related to negative things such as white nationism/supremicy and facist beliefs. People generally don't want to be associated with these ideas, so will avoid any act which could be contrued as patriotic/racist.

A recent example of this is open display of the St George Flag/English Flag (red cross/white background) being considered racist. Common practice when supporting England in the world cup. In some cases, the display had even been banned. And certain councils/organizations deciding to stop flying the flag, where they would have before, almost always due to the threat of appearing racist, as the flag is associated with white supremecy/english pride, and as an icon for racist movements such as the EDL.

Growing up in England, I have seen a distinctive drop in the public display of the St George flag, and have seen it rise up as a symbol of racism. With its heavier use in predominantly white areas, and the common sight of a large flag hanging out a window or on the wall of the property of a 'skin head'/racist occupants. Not to say all use is racially motivated, but with the symbol being now being heavily associated with racist activist groups, it has almost become a social symbol to display or identify with white supremecist attitudes and nationalist ideology.

This sort of taboo also extends outside of the UK. For example, when Germany won the world cup in 2014. Citizens took to the internet and to the media to express their mixed feelings towards the display "German Pride" and german patriotism/nationalism following the win. There are hundreds of reports/articles on this, many of which link german nationalism to the old nazi party, and WW2 often being mentioned as a trigger against patriotism, as Germans would not want to imply their national pride condoned/celebrated that history. It was reported many Germans were uncomfortable with expressing patriotism and national pride after the win with the fear it may be associated with bad history.

We do openly celebrate national pride days/events for ethnic/racial minorities, which is great. However we would never dare to celebrate an english national pride day, without being considered racist. I believe the UK/England as a is very tolerant and accepting to ethnic minorities in general, with very strict anti-discriminatory laws enforced. Such as workplace/hiring equality laws and new legislation to identify and treat crime more seriously if proven to be racially/ethnically/religiously/homophobically motivated, with the introduction and definition of 'hate-crime' into the law in the past 20 years, and iconic investigations such as the Macpherson report, where the police were labeled racist and massive changes were enforced, and laws against racism introduced.

Law's considered so strict even, there was a recent scandal where the Police allegedly failed to properly investigate/arrest the leaders of a sex/trafficking ring, with the fear of being racist, as the ring leaders were all of ethnic minority.

What do you think of english patriotism, and its link to racism? What are your opinions on the display of the St George flag, and it's politcal corectness? Do you think there is a social taboo against it? Will it ever change?

Are anti-discriminatory laws working efficiently? Are they too strict? Has political correctness gotten out of hand?
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's interesting how Scotland can be openly nationalist but any display of national pride by English people is labelled as racist.
There's nothing inherently wrong with displaying the flag of the country you're born in, I don't know why some people get so upset about it. I guess they've got nothing better to do with their time than complain about something ridiculous.

That being said, I personally see no real reason to be proud of something so arbitrary as the place of birth that you had no control over, but I'd defend the rights of anybody to be proud of it regardless.

Nationalism has been given a bad name by the like of the BNP, which is why it's likely that people are wary of it. Plus the notion of white pride is often closely connected to white supremacy and other Aryan ideals, so y'know...

However, much like your skinhead/racist association it's sometimes misconstrued, as people get put into boxes that they don't belong in due to generalisations.
member1179807
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crazystudent321)
Everyone is very aware of the idea of Political Correctness now, and it can be argued the obligation to be Politically Correct has gotten out of control.

Rightfully so, any form of racism is heavily frowned upon by the general public/media, so people generally aim for a neutral stance. This however seems to put a massive strain on ethnic majorities to keep politically correct. In the UK, the idea of English or White pride is usually considered racist. Political parties which boast any white or english patriotism are branded racist (some major ones being UKIP and the BNP, which are essentially racist). If a person expresses white pride or english patriotism, they will usually be frowned upon, and associated with ideology UKIP/BNP hold, which is very racist and related to negative things such as white nationism/supremicy and facist beliefs. People generally don't want to be associated with these ideas, so will avoid any act which could be contrued as patriotic/racist.

A recent example of this is open display of the St George Flag/English Flag (red cross/white background) being considered racist. Common practice when supporting England in the world cup. In some cases, the display had even been banned. And certain councils/organizations deciding to stop flying the flag, where they would have before, almost always due to the threat of appearing racist, as the flag is associated with white supremecy/english pride, and as an icon for racist movements such as the EDL.

Growing up in England, I have seen a distinctive drop in the public display of the St George flag, and have seen it rise up as a symbol of racism. With its heavier use in predominantly white areas, and the common sight of a large flag hanging out a window or on the wall of the property of a 'skin head'/racist occupants. Not to say all use is racially motivated, but with the symbol being now being heavily associated with racist activist groups, it has almost become a social symbol to display or identify with white supremecist attitudes and nationalist ideology.

This sort of taboo also extends outside of the UK. For example, when Germany won the world cup in 2014. Citizens took to the internet and to the media to express their mixed feelings towards the display "German Pride" and german patriotism/nationalism following the win. There are hundreds of reports/articles on this, many of which link german nationalism to the old nazi party, and WW2 often being mentioned as a trigger against patriotism, as Germans would not want to imply their national pride condoned/celebrated that history. It was reported many Germans were uncomfortable with expressing patriotism and national pride after the win with the fear it may be associated with bad history.

We do openly celebrate national pride days/events for ethnic/racial minorities, which is great. However we would never dare to celebrate an english national pride day, without being considered racist. I believe the UK/England as a is very tolerant and accepting to ethnic minorities in general, with very strict anti-discriminatory laws enforced. Such as workplace/hiring equality laws and new legislation to identify and treat crime more seriously if proven to be racially/ethnically/religiously/homophobically motivated, with the introduction and definition of 'hate-crime' into the law in the past 20 years, and iconic investigations such as the Macpherson report, where the police were labeled racist and massive changes were enforced, and laws against racism introduced.

Law's considered so strict even, there was a recent scandal where the Police allegedly failed to properly investigate/arrest the leaders of a sex/trafficking ring, with the fear of being racist, as the ring leaders were all of ethnic minority.

What do you think of english patriotism, and its link to racism? What are your opinions on the display of the St George flag, and it's politcal corectness? Do you think there is a social taboo against it? Will it ever change?

Are anti-discriminatory laws working efficiently? Are they too strict? Has political correctness gotten out of hand?
I'm proud to be white. I'm proud to have a white baby. I am a supporter of spreading truth like the Auschwitz football club and I am not a skinhead or hate anyone. I am a racist in the same way that human being has racial and cultural awareness and a loyalty to their own community even if there is politically correct denial of truth. People espousing this institutionalised politically correct nonsense should be exposed for the fools or cowards they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads