rate-enzyme conc graph 'analysis'?

Watch this thread
tariktarkan1907
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I did my experiment, got a straight line for rate of reaction against enzyme concentration, but a linear relationship, instead of direct proportionality which i stated is the general trend in my prediction. This trend of directly proportionality only exists when other factors like temp, ph and subtrate are kept constant...and when theres no enzyme inhibition, right?

As enzyme conc is greater, the rate of reaction for trypsin will be much faster at breaking down the casein protein in milk. I get that
But at much lower enzyme concentration, can i say less enzyme-substrate complexes form, because
- of a reduction in the substrates available
- ph and temperature move into extremtieis ,breaking the weak h-bonds and ionic in the enzyme tertiary strucuture slightly?
-level of inhibition my increase, reducing the rate?

are there any other factors you can think of, for a decrease in rate of reaction as the enzyme conc decreases?
Justme:-)
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
The easiest way to think of it is that if there are only a certain number of enzymes, there are only a certain number of enzyme substrate complexes which can be formed.
Imagine it like at a supermarket when the enzymes are the tills. Despite how many shoppers there are, the number of tills is the same so with more shoppers/substrate the number of tills/enzymes will be the limiting factor as they are being used to their full capacity.
I don't even know if this answers your question at all, it just came to my head and I got carried away writing it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (67)
42.14%
They're exactly what I expected (36)
22.64%