The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
On the distance I hope it's a typo, because I have always done it over 20metres.

Ref. pressups, yes you have to do full press-ups, at least I am led to believe that....If you're training at the mo, start by doing as many full ones as poss, then as soon as you can't do any more do them off your knees....repeat a couple of times...you will build up to doing more I promise, it's worked for me.

Some-one on IOT or just out of will probably have the definitive answer on these q's.
Reply 41
Regarding the full press-ups, I seriously recommend circuit training to improve overall strength. I strated attending circuits every week - it did wonders for my bleep test scores and also improved upper body strength.

On the press up stations I used a similar technique to tiger - alternating between knee ones and the full press ups. I can now pump out at least 25 full press ups!
Reply 42
Right I just got this from my RNR unit. as you can see it is the assessment levels of bleep test. Enjoy! - dont forget this is for RN not all you crabs :p: (would imagine its similar though)

GRADED ASSESSMENT OF MSFT LEVELS

Gender Age Pass Good Very Good Excellent
Male
16 24 9.10 11.10 12.7 14.2
25 29 9.4 10.10 11.10 13.2
30 34 8.7 10.2 11.1 12.5
35 39 8.1 9.5 10.4 11.9

Female
16 24 7.3 7.9 8.6 9.4
25 29 6.7 7.3 7.9 8.6
30 34 6.2 6.7 7.3 7.8
35 39 5.5 6.2 6.8 7.2

PS sorry about the cr@p formatting!
Reply 43
oops sorry, o well no harm in knowing the RN ones aswell!
Reply 44
The best thing you can do for these tests is, as I'm sure countless people have said before, doing as much fitness training as you can, especially running. It is a test of your VO2 Max - how much oxygen you can take up and get into your muscles. The best way to improve this is by being as fit as you can. I know it sounds obvious, but people are talking about doing stuff like running on a machine and upping the level, but this does not take account of turning 8-12 times a minute nor does it simulate real running - get out on the road and get some experience of drag and make sure you push yourself - half of the fitness test is psychological and pushing yourself to your absolute maximum, which should hurt a lot.

But either way, it is ultimately a test of how well you can run between 2 small markers - so practice turning quickly as it will make life so much easier. At my boat club, we do these tests once a term and it's always the guys with the running background that triumph even if they aren't necessarily the best guys over an hour on the ergo.
I have a question that's uniformed service based...

Pre-recruitment and attestation into the services, be it army, navy or RAF, fire, police or prison service, do you think it would be a good idea if there was somebody available with experience of uniformed service to lead potential recruits through suitable fitness training to ensure there wasn't a huge shock to the system once they had joined?
As in pre basic training fitness classes/sessions?

Really interested to hear what you all have to say.

JB.
Reply 46
Hello Kiddies! Fortunatly I am now in the next age bracket for the wonderful fitness test! If you really want to see how you will managed the MSFT challenge a PTI! It may sound mad but it makes you feel good to see these spawns of Satan breathing out their asses!!!!
Just to update you, the fitness test has changed - there are no longer seperate 17-25yr and 25-29yr brackets the requirement is level 9.10 (I think!) for 17-29yr olds. As for women I couldnt tell you :frown: strange there seems to be no advice on the RAF site
Reply 48
Both age groups have to reach 9.10, but 25-29 do slightly fewer press ups and sit ups. For women in those age brackets the RAFFT MSFT is 7.02.

It is unclear from the advice booklet whether candidates are expected to reach PJFT or RAFFT levels at Phase B. It's probably best to aim for the upper level in any case - that's what I'll do, if I get that far!
You have to show some improvement from OASC at your fam visit so don't go all out to get level 12 or whatever if you know you won't improve.
My advice, run for as long as you possibly can. Make an impression. Then when you go back on your fam. visit, run for even longer. You can always improve. Take the opportunity to get yourself as fit as you possibly can.

Says me after eating half a shish kebab.:smile:
Reply 51
When I was at OASC, I hurt my ankle during one of the leadership exercises the morning of the fitness tests. Didnt want to leave it out, so me (being a tool) just ignored it, sprayed some Deep Heat on it before the fitness test, and went for the Big Jog.

Big mistake. I dropped out at 8.2 feeling like my foot had fallen off. Passed the pressups/situps, but Im still angry at myself that I couldnt push a few more levels off that damned test. Should be easier to improve on 8.2 though!

Still, Im (provisionally) in for IOT10 - just have to make sure I pass the beep test at the fam visit next month...!
Yoof the Fifer
My advice, run for as long as you possibly can. Make an impression. Then when you go back on your fam. visit, run for even longer. You can always improve. Take the opportunity to get yourself as fit as you possibly can.

Says me after eating half a shish kebab.:smile:

Ahh a shish isn't tooo bad, better than me with my fat burger and fat fries for lunch......
Oh come on now Mr. Flibble and Inaspin, haven't you realised, it's a Sunday. You're allowed a lie in on a Sunday. Posting at 4:36 and 5:44!:eek: Folks i'm impressed! I was dreaming of big green helicopters at that time.:rolleyes: :biggrin:

I better get myself to the gym. I feel really guilty now.
I'm not in the UK........
Bloody jocks :p: :wink:
Captain planet
Bloody jocks :p: :wink:

Hhahahaha! LMAO. :wink:
Reply 57
nurse
Anyone have any ideas how I can give this a go at home (in local park) Does level 5.3 sound easy or hard to you guys? thats what I have to reach.... Thank god I am not male and 18:wink:

Thank God I don't have to do those anymore lol, although I did get 11.2 last time (but I remember 2-3 people went on to level 14). And many girls got to around level 7, some even 9). I think your question has been answered a couple of times now, but I'm not exactly sure why you're wanting to do the beep test at age 26? Is it just to see what fitness level you're at or because you need to as part of a job application? Sorry for my ignorence.
Aristoteles
Thank God I don't have to do those anymore lol, although I did get 11.2 last time (but I remember 2-3 people went on to level 14). And many girls got to around level 7, some even 9). I think your question has been answered a couple of times now, but I'm not exactly sure why you're wanting to do the beep test at age 26? Is it just to see what fitness level you're at or because you need to as part of a job application? Sorry for my ignorence.

It's part of the RAF selection process, and is also used to gauge a recruits level of fitness during training. (Along with other fitness assessments of course.)
Reply 59
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

2. I know that girls do press ups off a bench in the normal OASC & RAFFT, but for the BPFA (or IOTFA as it's now called), do we do them off the ground the same way as the boys?

Merci

Just to make sure no one gets confused here, at OASC girls have to do the full press ups now like the guys, i believe it changed failry recently.

Latest