Turn on thread page Beta

Dilemma: Modelling or uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i guess i'd like to ask you all for some advice about what i should do. i've been offered a modelling contact with models one in london for a year. it seems like a great opportunity as it'd give me the chance to travel around the world (they've mentioned i'd be able to go to the far east and new york ) and earn some money while doing something that i love.

the only problem is, what to do about uni. i really really want to go, theres no way i want to be a model as a career as much as i love it i also want to study for a degree and maybe do a PhD eventually. should i just take a gap year and see how it goes. i really, really don't know what to do. i found out this afternoon and i'm completely over the moon about it. i think i'll definately take up their offer, but what about the uni thing? at the minute i'm set for going to bath in october to study psychology. do you think they'd let me defer? its a really competitive course though so i don't know whether they'd allow it.

argh! i'm so excited and stressed all at the same time

any advice much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh brains and a model!

Erm, uni. Modelling agencies promise much but the glamour is only seen by the mighty few. Easier to succeed in uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i guess i'd like to ask you all for some advice about what i should do. i've been offered a modelling contact with models one in london for a year. it seems like a great opportunity as it'd give me the chance to travel around the world (they've mentioned i'd be able to go to the far east and new york ) and earn some money while doing something that i love.

the only problem is, what to do about uni. i really really want to go, theres no way i want to be a model as a career as much as i love it i also want to study for a degree and maybe do a PhD eventually. should i just take a gap year and see how it goes. i really, really don't know what to do. i found out this afternoon and i'm completely over the moon about it. i think i'll definately take up their offer, but what about the uni thing? at the minute i'm set for going to bath in october to study psychology. do you think they'd let me defer? its a really competitive course though so i don't know whether they'd allow it.

argh! i'm so excited and stressed all at the same time

any advice much appreciated.
    Oh, girl you are so lucky! Isn't that what everyone wants? A years contract is perfect as you say for a gap year, so go for it! You'll be able to return to your studies easily, or become the new Kate Moss. And you never know you may get a taste for the fashion industry, and take a qualification in something fashion related. Hmm, maybe I'm getting carried away.

You'd have to check it out with Bath, but if it's competitive... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thats amazing to grab a year contract, that something like Megan Gale gets. My advice, take a gap.

If you dont go to uni, youll will have nothing to fall back on. Keep in mind, its a very lonely life. My sister went to Japan doing it and she was the only one there who spoke english, no one else could tell her what to do she sort of had to work it out for herself with the little japanese she knew.

ReputationRep:
    hmmn difficult one. life is too short to think of what ifs - if ur guarenteed a place at uni next yr - defer entry and go for the modelling. If u applying - apply and say that ur spending the next year travelling the world. looks good on your CV as well as being an amazing opperutnity.
    if it doesnt work out, you can organise another way to spend your gap year - go for it and see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Ooh brains and a model!

Erm, uni. Modelling agencies promise much but the glamour is only seen by the mighty few. Easier to succeed in uni
    Silly me failed to notice it was a year's contract. See if you can defer entry to your university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Oh, girl you are so lucky! Isn't that what everyone wants? A years contract is perfect as you say for a gap year, so go for it! You'll be able to return to your studies easily, or become the new Kate Moss. And you never know you may get a taste for the fashion industry, and take a qualification in something fashion related. Hmm, maybe I'm getting carried away.

You'd have to check it out with Bath, but if it's competitive... :rolleyes:
    lol, you're right. i should be over the moon rather than stressing out about stuff like this. it's every girls dream and i am sooo happy i'll give bath a ring in the morning and see what they say about the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    I was a male model once.

ReputationRep:
    lol, you're right. i should be over the moon rather than stressing out about stuff like this. it's every girls dream and i am sooo happy i'll give bath a ring in the morning and see what they say about the whole thing.
    Yeah! I guess it's like probably very difficult for you, having two dreams come true and it probably feels like you have to choose but you don't have to!

If Bath say no, could you go to another university who will let you take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I have successfully combined both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I was a male model once.
    Ooh any pictures of your modelling days? Unless they were a bit, you know...

ReputationRep:
    Post a pic, VoodooDoll, and I'll tell you if you should be a model or not!

ReputationRep:
    Careful though, they might take it to mean you've lost interest in them. Only tell them about the modelling if it's imperative that they know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Careful though, they might take it to mean you've lost interest in them. Only tell them about the modelling if it's imperative that they know
    good idea, might be best to tell them i fancy doing a bit of travelling instead. i can always use the "i need to find myself" card :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    good idea, might be best to tell them i fancy doing a bit of travelling instead. i can always use the "i need to find myself" card :rolleyes:
    As long as you say find not feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    As long as you say find not feel.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Bonny baby contest?
    "Rings" I have lovely hands. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Post a pic, VoodooDoll, and I'll tell you if you should be a model or not!
    how do you post pics on here? i will if someone explains how to, i'm useless at internet stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Bonny baby contest?
    BTW. CLassic title; "Big fat pink member" Who thought of that? Very good.

ReputationRep:
    Uggh <shivers>

One does not find themself, they create themself.

Still works as a good excuse

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.