RachelLJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

I'm going to be a Scotland-based applicant for university in 2016 (i.e. apply in 2015). It will only be for my undergraduate degree but I am thinking ahead about my postgraduate studies, which I hope to do internationally, most likely in France or Spain or Italy although possibly Canada. I want to study languages for my undergrad and do my postgrad in something like translation or international relations/economics/development. Which universities are most highly acclaimed in these countries for my undergrad work? Particularly France and the other European countries. I am thinking a lot about my choices just now and I am currently thinking of choosing Cambridge/Oxford, UCL and Edinburgh. Where else may be well-acclaimed internationally yet still provides a good time while at uni? I thought about St. Andrews but it seems as if the area may be a bit stifling. And Durham is very good in the UK but allegedly unknown in wider Europe.

Thank you!
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RachelLJ)
Hi!

I'm going to be a Scotland-based applicant for university in 2016 (i.e. apply in 2015). It will only be for my undergraduate degree but I am thinking ahead about my postgraduate studies, which I hope to do internationally, most likely in France or Spain or Italy although possibly Canada. I want to study languages for my undergrad and do my postgrad in something like translation or international relations/economics/development. Which universities are most highly acclaimed in these countries for my undergrad work? Particularly France and the other European countries. I am thinking a lot about my choices just now and I am currently thinking of choosing Cambridge/Oxford, UCL and Edinburgh. Where else may be well-acclaimed internationally yet still provides a good time while at uni? I thought about St. Andrews but it seems as if the area may be a bit stifling. And Durham is very good in the UK but allegedly unknown in wider Europe.

Thank you!
As far as I'm aware, masters in countries like France and other European countries are probably less competitive than masters at top UK Universities like LSE and Oxbridge. I have seen people go from lower-ranked UK Universities like Greenwich go onto do their masters at LSE. Therefore, I don't really see your University choice at undergraduate level having too much of an impact on you ability to do a masters at say, SciencesPo.

As long as you go to a reasonably good UK University (in the top 20), there's no reason why you can't get into top schools in Europe as long as you come out with a 1st or a very high 2.1

Canadian schools like Toronto and McGill may be more competitive however, though I still don't seem them being harder to get into than Oxbridge and LSE.

I may be wrong on all this though so I'm willing to be corrected

UCL, LSE, Durham, Oxbridge, Warwick, Exeter, SOAS, Manchester, Sheffield, Edin, Andrews, are amongst others, a good set of Universities.
RachelLJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
As far as I'm aware, masters in countries like France and other European countries are probably less competitive than masters at top UK Universities like LSE and Oxbridge. I have seen people go from lower-ranked UK Universities like Greenwich go onto do their masters at LSE. Therefore, I don't really see your University choice at undergraduate level having too much of an impact on you ability to do a masters at say, SciencesPo.

As long as you go to a reasonably good UK University (in the top 20), there's no reason why you can't get into top schools in Europe as long as you come out with a 1st or a very high 2.1

Canadian schools like Toronto and McGill may be more competitive however, though I still don't seem them being harder to get into than Oxbridge and LSE.

I may be wrong on all this though so I'm willing to be corrected

UCL, LSE, Durham, Oxbridge, Warwick, Exeter, SOAS, Manchester, Sheffield, Edin, Andrews, are amongst others, a good set of Universities.
Thank you so much! That was really helpful

Do you have any advice upon what kind of city size is good for student life? I come from one of around 250,000 inhabitants, possibly less. I love the size of my city but I also love quaint little villages and big cities. I just want atmosphere and ambience, with a real feel of culture… Gosh I can be picky sorry.

Is Durham good enough to be worth the fees, in your opinion? I can get university for free in Scotland so I was thinking:

Edinburgh
St. Andrews?
UCL
Oxbridge
Durham???

But I don't want to pay the fees unless it is truly worth it, as I am sure you understand.

Thank you again
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much! That was really helpful

Do you have any advice upon what kind of city size is good for student life? I come from one of around 250,000 inhabitants, possibly less. I love the size of my city but I also love quaint little villages and big cities. I just want atmosphere and ambience, with a real feel of culture… Gosh I can be picky sorry.

Is Durham good enough to be worth the fees, in your opinion? I can get university for free in Scotland so I was thinking:

Edinburgh
St. Andrews?
UCL
Oxbridge
Durham???

But I don't want to pay the fees unless it is truly worth it, as I am sure you understand.

Thank you again
They are all very good universities. Personally I'd go to Scotland if you don't have to pay fees- Glasgow, St. Andrews and Edinburgh are world class universities and places like Herriot-Watt, Aberdeen, Stirling and Strathclyde are hardly bad.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi!

Thank you!
Avoid French unis at all cost. It's free for a reason.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LSE is internationally renowned.
PlayerBB
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi!

Thank you!
UCL,Oxford,KCL,Kingston, Kent and Hertfordshire are the best and my fav universities but they're highly competitive. I'm applying to UCL and Hertfordshire universities but if you love villages you should apply to Hertfordshire, it has the village like ambiance , if i were u, I wouldn't go to France as they offer courses in French language
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (50)
18.38%
Labour (110)
40.44%
Liberal Democrats (56)
20.59%
Green Party (17)
6.25%
Brexit Party (7)
2.57%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.47%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.84%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)