Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My teacher was telling me today that P1 (or C1) as it will be called is now not going to include ANY integration.

What do you think about the change in the syllabuses to make it more accessible? I think it's pretty bizarre that somebody doing an AS in maths will never meet integration at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    My teacher was telling me today that P1 (or C1) as it will be called is now not going to include ANY integration.

What do you think about the change in the syllabuses to make it more accessible? I think it's pretty bizarre that somebody doing an AS in maths will never meet integration at all.
    Wahoo. What's integration, hmm... don't tell me I don't need to know! Not that I'm rubbing it at all, I'm sure you had fun doing more work then I will.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, it's pathetic actually. Maths A-level now has around 30% grade A candidates! I think it's unfair, they keep removing interesting bits out of the syllabus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Wahoo. What's integration, hmm... don't tell me I don't need to know! Not that I'm rubbing it at all, I'm sure you had fun doing more work then I will.
    I take it you're doing alevel maths next year then? =P

I think it's a shame you won't meet integration until A2, it's not difficult, and it's very powerful.

ReputationRep:
    Pure will stay the same. They are reducing the number of applications required from 3 to 2. To make the modules balance, they are then splitting the 3 P1-P3 modules into 4 C1-C4 modules - people still take 6 modules, but only 2 applications.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're doing alevel maths next year then? =P

I think it's a shame you won't meet integration until A2, it's not difficult, and it's very powerful.
    I am. They should take the difficult parts out then, if it's not so difficult.

Actually, what is it?

ReputationRep:
    It's crap. They're making it harder for those who want tot do the degree, by increasing the jump length.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the opposite of differentiation, as we have just learnt integration at school, does that mean it will be useless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Pure will stay the same. They are reducing the number of applications required from 3 to 2. To make the modules balance, they are then splitting the 3 P1-P3 modules into 4 C1-C4 modules - people still take 6 modules, but only 2 applications.
    Ah okay, so they'll be doing C1/C2 in their first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    It's crap. They're making it harder for those who want tot do the degree, by increasing the jump length.
    Imagine, some of them might be going to university interviews without having seen integration at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    Is that the opposite of differentiation, as we have just learnt integration at school, does that mean it will be useless?
    Yes and no. It will come in later in the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    And differentiation is?

ReputationRep:
    And differentiation is?
    the opposite of integration

ReputationRep:
    And differentiation is?
    Finding the rate of change of a function. Example, consider the function y = x². The rate of change dy/dx = 2x, that is, as x increases, y increases by twice as much. I think.

ReputationRep:
    the opposite of integration
    Argh no! You're all too clever, I can see you all with your powerful maths minds trying to confuse me. Hopefully I'll develop one of these too.

ReputationRep:
    No, pure will be the same. Integration is not on C1, but it will reach P3 diufficulty by C4, which is compulsory for an A level in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Finding the rate of change of a function. Example, consider the function y = x². The rate of change dy/dx = 2x, that is, as x increases, y increases by twice as much. I think.
    well defined.

edit: hm, y doesn't increase at twice the rate at which x increases, just twice x.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, that sort of makes sense. But I guess I know what it is now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    No, pure will be the same. Integration is not on C1, but it will reach P3 diufficulty by C4, which is compulsory for an A level in maths.
    What's compulsory for an AS?

ReputationRep:
    At any instantaneous point, y is increasing double as much as x is. So yeah.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.