The Student Room Group

Intercalation advice needed!Which one is more important the University or the Course?

So as I planned to intercalated for next year! I was wondering which one would be of a better advantage!

Intercalating at a course at a very famous, high-standard University in which the course is not much connected to my future career! Or intercalating at a course of preference at a university of lower standard!!

Many thanks
Currently, in terms of points for specialty applications, you are awarded points based on the level of the degree (MSc / BSc) and the grade awarded (1st, 2.i etc) - neither topic nor location give you any extra points. At interviews, a 'relevant' intercalated degree can be used to show commitment to specialty, e.g. if you can show that your intercalated degree is in some way backing up your dedication to the specialty (such as anatomy for surgery). I did medical law and ethics which is fairly generic, but useful for many specialties, and I was able to talk about it at both medicine and paeds interviews, as well as getting points on the application form.

make sure you pick a topic that you can stand spending a year on; a year is a long time if you pick something for prestige but aren't actually so interested in the topic. Writing a dissertation is hard work at the best of times, but so much harder if you are disinterested in your topic from the outset.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your generous explanation! I so appreciate that.

One last thing then, I have found the some unis give a MSc intercalation (undergraduate level). Would that be regarded as master in regards to points and in regards to future career?

Basically I m so much into orthopaedic and I don't know which program would be of a better benefit for me! thanks again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DebMedStud

One last thing then, I have found the some unis give a MSc intercalation (undergraduate level). Would that be regarded as master in regards to points and in regards to future career?

Basically I m so much into orthopaedic and I don't know which program would be of a better benefit for me! Applied Orhtopaedic technology at Dundee or Sports and Excerise Medicie at Barts? Which one would you personally recommend!?

Many thanks again!

Assuming you are in your fourth year? I would recommend the MSc in Musculoskeletal Science at UCL, based at the RN Orthopaedic Hospital.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/surgery/research/ioms/student_programs_ioms/msc_musculoskeletal_science/MSc_Musculo_May10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by carcinoma
Assuming you are in your fourth year? I would recommend the MSc in Musculoskeletal Science at UCL, based at the RN Orthopaedic Hospital.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/surgery/research/ioms/student_programs_ioms/msc_musculoskeletal_science/MSc_Musculo_May10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks for your advice! Unfortunately, it is a post grad program and a medical degree is required as an entry requirement!
Reply 5
Original post by junior.doctor
Currently, in terms of points for specialty applications, you are awarded points based on the level of the degree (MSc / BSc) and the grade awarded (1st, 2.i etc) - neither topic nor location give you any extra points. At interviews, a 'relevant' intercalated degree can be used to show commitment to specialty, e.g. if you can show that your intercalated degree is in some way backing up your dedication to the specialty (such as anatomy for surgery). I did medical law and ethics which is fairly generic, but useful for many specialties, and I was able to talk about it at both medicine and paeds interviews, as well as getting points on the application form.

make sure you pick a topic that you can stand spending a year on; a year is a long time if you pick something for prestige but aren't actually so interested in the topic. Writing a dissertation is hard work at the best of times, but so much harder if you are disinterested in your topic from the outset.

Basically I m so much into orthopaedic and I don't know which program would be of a better benefit for me! ?

Many thanks again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Many thanks for your advice! Unfortunately, it is a post grad program and a medical degree is required as an entry requirement!

No you can definitely do it after your fourth year of medicine. Someone I know in my year is currently intercalating on that course.

After completing your fourth year of medicine you would be eligible for a BMedSci degreeif you left and have therefore also accumulated enough credits for a postgraduate intercalated degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically I m so much into orthopaedic and I don't know which program would be of a better benefit for me! Applied Orhtopaedic technology at Dundee or Sports and Excerise Medicie at Barts? Which one would you personally recommend!?

Many thanks again!

And yes an MSc qualifies for master points. So 4 on fpas

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is hard to know just from the titles of the programmes. I would say that between those two programmes, it would be your personal choice, depending on the individual content of each programme and what you hope to get from them. Worth taking into account location from a logistics (not prestige) point of view - think about where you are at now, the logistics of moving / external intercalation and getting to know a new bunch of people, vs the advantages of experiencing a different city / part of the country. I have heard of MSc completed as an intercalation only being given BSc-equivalent points, I am trying to remember how it was worded on my specialty applications last year - I *think* they did differentiate between an MSc achieved during med school vs an MSc achieved before or after.
Reply 9
Original post by carcinoma
And yes an MSc qualifies for master points. So 4 on fpas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks for your time and help. I have read a lot about the MSc in Musculoskeletal science and they replied that do accept medical students. I was just wondering if you have little bit more idea about it as i read that the modules are taught online and even the exams are MCQ's online too! So i do not know how effective would that be!!

thank you so much
Reply 10
Original post by junior.doctor
It is hard to know just from the titles of the programmes. I would say that between those two programmes, it would be your personal choice, depending on the individual content of each programme and what you hope to get from them. Worth taking into account location from a logistics (not prestige) point of view - think about where you are at now, the logistics of moving / external intercalation and getting to know a new bunch of people, vs the advantages of experiencing a different city / part of the country. I have heard of MSc completed as an intercalation only being given BSc-equivalent points, I am trying to remember how it was worded on my specialty applications last year - I *think* they did differentiate between an MSc achieved during med school vs an MSc achieved before or after.

Thanks a lot for the extremely useful information! I guess You are right. I should go with the programme I like more. The one in UCL is very connected to Orthopaedic just been hesitated about the online teaching system!

Thaks a lot
The university. No point if you want to study Law but you end you going to London Met to study it.
Reply 12
Isnt it sad how we are pushed to do iBsc for points?
Such a shame

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending