Is it bad for your breasts if you wear a bra when youre sleeping? Watch

Da Mouse
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hi guys. someone told me that its best the you shouldnt wear a bra when at night when your sleeping - why?
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have heard that it can be a cause breast cancer, but i don't know if thats correct
[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Makes it more difficult for your drunken b/f to get at 'em?
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
i have heard that it can be a cause breast cancer, but i don't know if thats correct
I heard that but I don't know if I believe it or not. I've done it quite a few times.
kemiandtheboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i never heard of it giving you cancer?

but they do have these horrible hard rib type support thingys which just dig into your ribcage and hurt, so you wake up feeling battered....
squigaletta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I heard the breast cancer thing aswel. I've also heard that incresing pressure on breasts can cause breast cancer, and I'm pretty sure that the breast cancer bra thing is because of the constant pressure. I dunno how reliable that is tho...tbh I never know why ppl sleep in their bras...? But on the odd occasion you will be fine.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by squigaletta)
I heard the breast cancer thing aswel. I've also heard that incresing pressure on breasts can cause breast cancer, and I'm pretty sure that the breast cancer bra thing is because of the constant pressure. I dunno how reliable that is tho...tbh I never know why ppl sleep in their bras...? But on the odd occasion you will be fine.
I only do occasionally cos I'm lazy
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What possible advantages could there be to wearing a bra while sleeping?
clouddweller
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its not bad for your breasts, but id imagine it would be very uncomfortable.
clouddweller
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It isn't bad for your breasts, but I doubt it would be the most comfortable thing in the world.
Why would you want to wear a bra at night?
HerRoyalHighness
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
I don't wear one, its very uncomfortable, but i have heard about the breast cancer thing.
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have heard so many tales about this, I have a mate who ALWAYS sleeps in her bra, she says if you don't they will go "saggy" and tells me that is why mine hang down a bit , I tell her it is because of thier size(DD) but I am not really sure if she has a point,was just sticking up for myself!

All I know is I would rather sleep bra-free and comfortable without straps bands and wires getting tangled and digging in than have them perfectly "pert" all the time .

I think I heard the breast cancer thing once, but i just thought everything is said to give you one sort of cancer these days, I don't think any of it is that conclusive.

Another thing I heard is that with a perfect bra you shouldn't ever be able to tell you are wearing it, if I had one of those (magical IMO) perfect bras I would gladly sleep in it!
swirl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They're not 'bad for you'. It's just advised not to wear underwired bras in bed while the breasts are still developing.

As for the breast cancer rumour - considerable pressure on breasts may help spread existing cancer cells. There are three conditions there. Wearing an ordinary bra does not constitute as considerable pressure, unless you have heavy inner padding, forcing the breasts up - for example continuously wearing tight corsets.

The lymphatic vessels in the breast are very thin and highly sensitive to pressure, thus easily compressed into lumps, causing lymph valves and vessels to close. Lack of oxygen and nutrients with a build up of waste products may cause cancer.
C00kies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I HATE not wearing a bra in bed. I can't sleep at all without one. Don't yours hurt when they're not supported, or is that just the size?
Anonymous1783
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Everything causes cancer these days!
tari :)
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think you're meant to wear a wired bra to sleep because of the pressure. Don't think it's recommended to wear a bra to sleep if you're still developing either.
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by C00kies)
I HATE not wearing a bra in bed. I can't sleep at all without one. Don't yours hurt when they're not supported, or is that just the size?
same here it feels weird now if i try to sleep without it on and wake up achy! but if i sleep with one on it's fine!

(Original post by Anonymous1783)
Everything causes cancer these days!
pff tell me about it! all the warnings and stuff! they even said milk could cause cancer in the papers before!
egg_soup
Report 12 years ago
it is bad for your posture and your boobs. You should let them breathe at night time - i cant remember why but i know it can be bad for you.
squigaletta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I only have little breasts, so maybe thats why I don't really notice. Could easily not wear one during the day aswel.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Apparently bras can compress the lymphatics in your breast, resulting in poor drainage and this buildup can increase the risk of cancer developing - there are fairly good statistics showing that the more hours per day you wear a bra, the more likely you are to develop breast cancer, although there are probably other confounding factors.

As for them going saggy, there's a lot less gravitational effect on them when you're lying down and are still than when you're standing and walking/running around, so it's a minimal effect, I'd say. I never wear a bra when sleeping, it's just not comfortable for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads