The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Journalsim at U.N.I of Stirling?

I'm wondering is their any point doing journalism there? the entry grades are BBC, is it a good respected UNI? I'm torn between going there or doing Law at somewhere like UWE or Lincoln.
So it Stirling good? Is the nightlife good etc?
Someone please answer, nobody ever answers my questions on this so please!!
I briefly looked into journalism and you should check to see if it's accredited by the national council for the training of journalists (would send a link but can't copy and paste on this). Don't know much about the uni itself, sorry:/
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
It's a good Uni. I don't know much about the nightlife to be honest, but I suppose it must be alright - there are two clubs in town, and a number of pubs all within 5 minutes walk of each other; it is very much a student town... they make up a significant portion of the population. It's a small city, but it has pretty much everything you need, and it's close to Edinburgh and Glasgow anyway.

I don't know much about the journalism course, but I'm in 3rd year studying English and I really love the university itself. It has a nice campus, and they're building new accommodation if you're looking to go into halls. :]
Reply 3
I wouldn't bother with Journalism at Stirling. It's not NCTJ accredited which is a requirement for a lot of entry level/grad journo jobs so you'd have to get accredited after. The journo dep seem to take a pride in this and they explain it's because their degree is more academically/theoretically based but that's not much use if you're an aspiring journalist. I did the first year journo modules last year and it was the most unorganised module I've ever taken. There's not enough content so there's a lot of repetition and only two contact hours a week. There was absolutely no practical training or exercises. I like Stirling Uni a lot but wouldn't recommend them for journo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending