Games with bad or mediocre reviews that are actually really good

Watch
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let's right some wrongs. Tell people about the hidden greats they must play.

Shaq Fu (Mega Drive) - I think most people that say "Shaq Fu is the worst game ever" haven't even played it (certainly in my experience), just bandwagoning. The graphics and animations are top quality, the music is catchy and there's some interesting characters. The gameplay is good too. You'll be able to do all the moves, but whether you do them at the right time or lose is entirely down to you. Prepare to get whooped a bit, especially by the old man.

Lucius - I was put off by so-so reviews, but I gave in and it was one of my favourite games of the year. What's not to love about a pick-up-and-play Damien Simulator? It's hard to take seriously complaints of a lack of in-level save points when each level takes a few minutes...

Alpha Protocol - I have no idea why this got bad reviews. Apparently it's because it was released a few months after Mass Effect 2, but it must be because reviewers are so bad at reviewing any non-AAA game. This is the only game I've played where my choices really did matter, outright completely changing a future mission's layout. There's nothing more satisfying then getting recon, then going in, taking the data, and leaving without any evidence you were there. A lot of games do the 'crazy, comic relief sidekick' cringeworthily bad, but the one in this game is one of my favourite characters ever. It also has the good/bad morality, but rather than a choice between 'adopt all the kittens' or 'be Hitler', you usually get a choice of several different shades of being a suave ****.
mr.gud
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh God, yes! Alpha Protocol is an amazing game! I loved that game, yes it's flawed but it still turns out to be a pretty darn good game!
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
battle for middle earth... PS3

Its such a silly game, and I can entirely see why responses to it were average to bad - people expect a serrious lord of the rings game, etc. and it was never going to be that..

However if you treat it as a really silly and stupid game, then its great fun! Best played with friends, and its just so ridiculous in places that its brilliant.

Think 'the room' type of so-bad-its-good, but for lord of the rings fans..

The dialog is draedfull and hillarously bad in many places.. some of the maps are so awfully designed, and their are great glitches all over the place..

I mean you can: Punch aragorn in the face as a troll.. kick hobbits and burn the shire.. beat the balrog by headbutting him as gimli.. pitch teams of 5 gandalf against each other.. etc. etc.

Its stupid and a bad game - but great fun in a silly way
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This was back over a decade ago now so I may be thinking back with rose tinted glasses, but my brother and I used to love Simpsons Skateboarding. Then, when I found our old PS2 while clearing out the attic, I decided to wiki Simpsons Skateboarding to see if it was available for PC and discovered it had been panned on release!

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
battle for middle earth... PS3
Battle for Middle Earth was a (pretty great) RTS game for PC :yep: The sequel wasn't released on PS3 either. Perhaps you're thinking of Guardians of Middle Earth or Lord of the Rings Conquest?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
This was back over a decade ago now so I may be thinking back with rose tinted glasses, but my brother and I used to love Simpsons Skateboarding. Then, when I found our old PS2 while clearing out the attic, I decided to wiki Simpsons Skateboarding to see if it was available for PC and discovered it had been panned on release!

Battle for Middle Earth was a (pretty great) RTS game for PC :yep: The sequel wasn't released on PS3 either. Perhaps you're thinking of Guardians of Middle Earth or Lord of the Rings Conquest?
Ah yes conquest is what I mean

Your right battle for Middle Earth was actually a decent game, remember being really hyped for it as a teenager

Never played the 2nd though
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah yes conquest is what I mean
In that case I'm the other way round to the people you described, the ties to LOTR were the only thing that kept me playing conquest for longer than ten minutes!
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
In that case I'm the other way round to the people you described, the ties to LOTR were the only thing that kept me playing conquest for longer than ten minutes!
Did you play it by yourself?

I think of I had sat down and played it by myself expecting a decent game, I would have hated it...

But laughing through it at how awful it was in places with a few friends made it a great experience
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you play it by yourself?

I think of I had sat down and played it by myself expecting a decent game, I would have hated it...

But laughing through it at how awful it was in places with a few friends made it a great experience
Yeah I've played on Live. I don't really get fun out of "so bad it's good" video games, to me unenjoyable gameplay is still u enjoyable gameplay even if other parts of the game are also bad enough to find hilarious. If I wanted stupidity and enjoyment with friends nothing was every going to replace the ridiculous custom game types of Halo 3, there were about a dozen of us who would spend entire weekends playing the wackiest games we could find. That was the golden age of gaming for me :moon:
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Yeah I've played on Live. I don't really get fun out of "so bad it's good" video games, to me unenjoyable gameplay is still u enjoyable gameplay even if other parts of the game are also bad enough to find hilarious. If I wanted stupidity and enjoyment with friends nothing was every going to replace the ridiculous custom game types of Halo 3, there were about a dozen of us who would spend entire weekends playing the wackiest games we could find. That was the golden age of gaming for me :moon:
fair enough

I was kind of out of the gaming scene by halo 3, but I do remember hours of fun on halo 1 with friends. they never used to like to play competativly, because I was the only one with an xbox, so would normally win.. so instead we used to play on this ice-map, where you could drift your warthogs around.. and we would play a game where 2 of us would start in warthogs at different sides of the map, and the first person to ram the other ones car over, forcing you to leave the car.. wins..
Was silly looking back, but fun for us kids at the time.

Golden era of gaming with friends for me was n64. smash bros, pokemon snap, mario kart, golden eye, pod racing - all with 4 friends sat round an old telle when we were kids. Perfect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.75%
No (646)
65.25%

Watched Threads