The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is my problem 'serious' enough for counselling?

Hi,

I am 19 at university in my second year and I feel like I have some issues that are just stopping me from being happy at the moment.
I have thought about using the universitys counselling service but I don't want to go and the counsellor think that im just being a mard arse and don't have a 'real' problem.

I've always found it hard to open up to people, but even more so over the past few years to the point where I tell no one my problems at all because I think that their either aren't going to understand or they are just going to give blunt replies or advice and not really care. I've had a number of 'best friends' who I've had for about a year, all 3 then ended up getting boyfriends and I was brushed to the side and not really needed anymore which has had a huge impact on me. I'm now really close to one of my coursemates however I don't really tell her anything because im too scared of it happening again - I don't want to be disregarded by her if she does end up getting a boyfriend or whatever happens. Because of this I keep all my problems to myself. All of my other friends are at uni, and one of my close friends has many more 'real' problems so I feel like mine are very insignificant. Im always trying to please other people and get really bad anxiety and stress if I feel I have let that person down. I feel like im always there for others if something happens that same day im there comforting or on the other end of the phone, or sitting up till all hours but I just feel like no one will ever do that for me. I feel very alone basically.

Ive also gone through a breakup in the past 6 months - from a very complicated relationship (cultural issues) and I just cant seem to get over it.

Do I 'qualify' for counselling or am I being mard
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am 19 at university in my second year and I feel like I have some issues that are just stopping me from being happy at the moment.
I have thought about using the universitys counselling service but I don't want to go and the counsellor think that im just being a mard arse and don't have a 'real' problem.

I've always found it hard to open up to people, but even more so over the past few years to the point where I tell no one my problems at all because I think that their either aren't going to understand or they are just going to give blunt replies or advice and not really care. I've had a number of 'best friends' who I've had for about a year, all 3 then ended up getting boyfriends and I was brushed to the side and not really needed anymore which has had a huge impact on me. I'm now really close to one of my coursemates however I don't really tell her anything because im too scared of it happening again - I don't want to be disregarded by her if she does end up getting a boyfriend or whatever happens. Because of this I keep all my problems to myself. All of my other friends are at uni, and one of my close friends has many more 'real' problems so I feel like mine are very insignificant. Im always trying to please other people and get really bad anxiety and stress if I feel I have let that person down. I feel like im always there for others if something happens that same day im there comforting or on the other end of the phone, or sitting up till all hours but I just feel like no one will ever do that for me. I feel very alone basically.

Ive also gone through a breakup in the past 6 months - from a very complicated relationship (cultural issues) and I just cant seem to get over it.

Do I 'qualify' for counselling or am I being mard

Hi is this me?! I feel the same about opening up to people too… and I'm also worried if this is qualified for counselling too

I don't have answer but I I feel I can relate to what you're saying!

I feel exactly the same about friends just using you to talk about their feelings but never really asking you how I feel.. doesn't really help when I find it hard to open to people.

I guess if its really bothering you, it should be worthwhile going to a councillor.. which Ive been meaning to do for a long time but I can't seem to pluck up the courage to do it.. :frown:

Latest