MissExo-k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Howdy
So after a pretty easy set of GCSE results of A*s, As and a B, I thought I was set for the voyage into A levels.
Conversation with former self: "so getting three As cant be that hard. i'll be in a top uni and having a great job in no time!" "too right myself! nothing is too hard for you!"

*back to reality*
And now here I am, faced with a mock paper for chemistry where I got a measly 34/80, stuck in the bottomless pit that is AS levels.
Oh well, I'm sure Unit 2 will be bette- wait what? It's harder?
Well bum.

Here begineth my conquest to battle the evil AS Edexcel Chemistry into the cavern where it so belongs. Saddle up, chaps.:bl:
fluzzles98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree, AS Chemistry is disgusting. I managed to somehow scrape a C in my mock (getting an E in unit 1 and a B in unit 2 evened out to a C thankfully) but it's making all of my other (much better) grades look bad😢 it's a never ending battle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
(Original post by fluzzles98)
I agree, AS Chemistry is disgusting. I managed to somehow scrape a C in my mock (getting an E in unit 1 and a B in unit 2 evened out to a C thankfully) but it's making all of my other (much better) grades look bad������ it's a never ending battle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know right! There are people in my class getting As already :eek:
But I need good grades to do physiotherapy at uni, so *sigh* revision begins!
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh dear! I battled through AS chemistry last year and came out with a comfortable A and now I'm doing A2 so if you have any questions fire away (although I do OCR, I doubt it is that different). Good luck.
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Highest in my class was a high B so at least everyone is finding it difficult at my school! But yes, sigh for you! Luckily I don't need chemistry so I will drop it after this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gaiaphage
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently doing A2 chemistry, and all I can say is revise the markschemes (and past papers) like you've never revised before. I got a C in my mock (a month before my Chem 2 exam) and that motivated me to learn the exact wording the questions ask for - they're pretty much always identical. I'd say perhaps half the questions in my real exam were worded identically to other years' questions, just with different chemicals in certain places. Got 97/100 in the exam so it looks like it worked.
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This made me laugh, I think you summed up my own current thought stream regarding AS levels perfectly I'm also doing AS chemistry but on OCR A, I'm not sure how difficult that is compared to Edexcel. I got 49/61 A in my Unit 1 mock which I was reasonably pleased with but alas my chemistry teacher is still insisting you must be working every single minute of your life on this subject or you will fail miserably, so I will be following your little journey with interest!
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by izpenguin)
Oh dear! I battled through AS chemistry last year and came out with a comfortable A and now I'm doing A2 so if you have any questions fire away (although I do OCR, I doubt it is that different). Good luck.
I'm aiming for a B this year as, even though I will most likely drop it, I don't want it to be a complete failure! Hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
(Original post by izpenguin)
Wow that's really good Thanks for offering, I shall ask you if something pops up after finishing !another! past paper !
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing AQA so I don't know how that compares to the other exam boards... What other subjects are you all doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
Highest in my class was a high B so at least everyone is finding it difficult at my school! But yes, sigh for you! Luckily I don't need chemistry so I will drop it after this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aah lucky you! There's this super clever girl in my class who got a D in her mock so it does console a little!
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MissExo-k)
Aah lucky you! There's this super clever girl in my class who got a D in her mock so it does console a little!
Hahah that's very true 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaiaphage)
I'm currently doing A2 chemistry, and all I can say is revise the markschemes (and past papers) like you've never revised before. I got a C in my mock (a month before my Chem 2 exam) and that motivated me to learn the exact wording the questions ask for - they're pretty much always identical. I'd say perhaps half the questions in my real exam were worded identically to other years' questions, just with different chemicals in certain places. Got 97/100 in the exam so it looks like it worked.
Thank you so much for the tips! That score is amazing ! I have got so many past papers to do but it will be all worth it hopefully!
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
This made me laugh, I think you summed up my own current thought stream regarding AS levels perfectly I'm also doing AS chemistry but on OCR A, I'm not sure how difficult that is compared to Edexcel. I got 39/50 A in my Unit 1 mock which I was reasonably pleased with but alas my chemistry teacher is still insisting you must be working every single minute of your life on this subject or you will fail miserably, so I will be following your little journey with interest!
Hehe I think a lot of people are a bit shocked at AS levels to be honest !! Yes my chemistry teachers seem to be forcing questions down our throats but they know what they're doing (hopefully)!!
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
I'm doing AQA so I don't know how that compares to the other exam boards... What other subjects are you all doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing English Lit, PE, Biology and Chemistry. I think they're mainly all the same backbone, but with slightly different bits added in. What subjects are you doing?
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah right Im doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
peanutbutterjam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing OCR B and everythings a shambles
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
Ah right Im doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow that's quite a heavy lot! Psychology and maths seem super hard from what people at my school are saying…
fluzzles98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MissExo-k)
Wow that's quite a heavy lot! Psychology and maths seem super hard from what people at my school are saying…
Psychology and maths are actually my best ones haha I don't know really, psychology has a lot to remember and maths has always been my best subject so I'm finding it okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
MissExo-k
Rep:
?
(Original post by peanutbutterjam)
I'm doing OCR B and everythings a shambles
Oh dear :erm: … Don't fret though- there is still time! And I'm sure that your teacher can help you as well. Plus, as I've found out, there seems to be an endless supply of past paper questions to do which will help! You can always do some past papers with your notes to start with if that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (157)
60.62%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.25%
No- I want it (73)
28.19%
No- I don't want it (18)