Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do this or is it entirely down to the sellers?

My mum & I are going to look at car on Saturday morning, as I'll be sharing the car with her we want to know if I could handle it. I'll be going from Fiesta to some long estate car so need to know if I can manage it. I don't doubt that in time I could learn but don't really want a car that's going to take ages to get used to so near to taking my test. Any one have any experience of this?

(Moderators, please feel free to delete this after a few suitable answers etc, unless it's helping someone else?)

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very surprised if the dealer was willing. My friend test drove a car when he held his provisional, so it is possible. But i think it'll be very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if you would be able to:- Insurance reasons....but I guess you could always ask the dealer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I'd be very surprised if the dealer was willing.
    Yeah, I wouldn't give a brand new sparkling thing to a person who can't even drive.

ReputationRep:
    Any new car before the test will take time to adapt to...and if the car you take your test in is very different to the one you drive in with your mum then it wont make a difference will it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the car and the sellers. I once went to test drive a sports car after being passed a year and they didn't let me but then went to another place and test drove 4 new cars and they never asked my age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yeah, I wouldn't give a brand new sparkling thing to a person who can't even drive.
    Insurance reasons etc fair enough, but I'm a competent safe driver (obviously only speaking from supervised experience here, on my own I reckon would be completely different!). I've been driving for well over a year. I just want to see how heavy the steering would be & how awkward gear changes are in big cars, our little fiesta you have to fight with to get it into 5th! I'm just too lazy & poor to sit a driving test!
    I know it's up to them & I won't question their decision but would still love to try it! I even have experience of driving lots of different cars, just not estate ones!
    I hope they let me, just to drive around a car park or something.

EDIT: It's not a brand new car, far from it, it's just bigger than anything I've driven before!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.