I don't care for Valentine's Day

Watch
TheGoldenBean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A lot of single individuals may in fact feel that Valentine's Day can be somewhat depressing as they are forced to see all of the love heart shaped items in shops and couples confessing their love to one another. But I actually feel quite happy being single as the day approaches. I feel happy knowing I don't have to spend money and try and find the perfect gift for my beloved while being cost effective. It's just another day to me. Is there any other people out there who share my point of view dears?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Me too, I'm planning to spend my whole life single. I'm too good (or too bad) to have a partner
PillsIV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGoldenBean)
A lot of single individuals may in fact feel that Valentine's Day can be somewhat depressing as they are forced to see all of the love heart shaped items in shops and couples confessing their love to one another. But I actually feel quite happy being single as the day approaches. I feel happy knowing I don't have to spend money and try and find the perfect gift for my beloved while being cost effective. It's just another day to me. Is there any other people out there who share my point of view dears?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say that... But deep down you feel different.
*places hand on your heart*
TheGoldenBean
Rep:
?
(Original post by PillsIV)
You say that... But deep down you feel different.
*places hand on your heart*
You're right dear! How did you see through my façade? I'm crying as I write this! Please help me find someone before the day of dread!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're right dear! How did you see through my façade? I'm crying as I write this! Please help me find someone before the day of dread!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hugs:
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you feel the same way if you weren't single?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valentine's Day is a horrendous example of forced consumerism - I really dislike it personally. It seems more like a chore to me and I don't need a specific day in the year to do something special for my significant other and I don't like being forced to do it on a specific day, especially when the entire retail and service industry chooses to dry **** you over a barrel for the privilege.
TheGoldenBean
Rep:
?
(Original post by R Dragon)
Would you feel the same way if you weren't single?
Hmmm, that's a difficult one to call for I have yet to be in a relationship. Obviously Valentine's Day is nice for expressing how you care about someone, but it doesn't bother me that I'm not celebrating it with my lover because it feels a little overrated in my view. But yes it may be subject to change when I'm inhabiting the dating world, we shall see within time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel if you really love your partner the other 364 days of the year should be more than enough for you to make him/her feel happy. The special stuff people do on valentines day feels like a waste of time to me, save the presents and other crap for an actual day of significance like an anniversary or birthday or something.
jakeel1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Valentine's Day is a horrendous example of forced consumerism - I really dislike it personally. It seems more like a chore to me and I don't need a specific day in the year to do something special for my significant other and I don't like being forced to do it on a specific day, especially when the entire retail and service industry chooses to dry **** you over a barrel for the privilege.
We don't do it, I just pick a few days of the year at random it's much more romantic and doesn't feel like a horrible consumerist chore.
Icebaker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same. It's nothing more than a gimmick, a commercial opportunity for money-hungry businesses, a day where huge profits stand to be made. Anybody can be Prince Charming one day a year, with the dinner and the flower and all that, but you know what impresses me? When a guy can do that NO days a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheGoldenBean
Rep:
?
(Original post by jakeel1)
We don't do it, I just pick a few days of the year at random it's much more romantic and doesn't feel like a horrible consumerist chore.
Aww you big old romantic you! That's rather sweet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emsies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been in a relationship for many years and neither of us do anything for valentines day. It's a ridiculous "holiday" made up to sell cards and gifts. Why should that one day be the day you appreciate your partner and do nice things for them? I'm much more appreciative of the little things he does for me everyday than some big, fake gesture that requires little effort to buy once a year.

Does that make my relationship bad/abnormal/uncaring? No.

I wish everyone would boycott valentines day. But it's not going to happen.

On a side note, I feel similarly about Christmas and tend to make small gifts for close family and rarely wrap them and never, ever buy cards for any occasion. It's a waste of trees. I've never had anyone complain or argue with my reasoning.
TheGoldenBean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emsies)
I have been in a relationship for many years and neither of us do anything for valentines day. It's a ridiculous "holiday" made up to sell cards and gifts. Why should that one day be the day you appreciate your partner and do nice things for them? I'm much more appreciative of the little things he does for me everyday than some big, fake gesture that requires little effort to buy once a year.

Does that make my relationship bad/abnormal/uncaring? No.

I wish everyone would boycott valentines day. But it's not going to happen.

On a side note, I feel similarly about Christmas and tend to make small gifts for close family and rarely wrap them and never, ever buy cards for any occasion. It's a waste of trees. I've never had anyone complain or argue with my reasoning.
I feel similarly about buying cards pet. I feel bad for the blessed trees! I also usually just give my presents in gift bags which can be reused instead of wrapping the gifts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like the day after because of all the discounted chocolates
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (15)
22.39%
I'm not sure (2)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
26.87%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.48%
I'm not a current university student (29)
43.28%

Watched Threads