Is this selfish? Watch

Maria1812
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello when I am older I would like to wear designer clothing however is this selfish their is so much poverty in the world I try to dress modestly cover my knees and shoulders I am a Catholic I want to live modestly. I feel that I am selfish wishing to have a nice bag for example when I look through magazines I like how designer clothing looks like but is it selfish for me to ever buy expensive clothing? Should I forget about this dream as it is selfish its not really a dream but I sometimes think how nice something looks.

So my overall question is: Is it selfish and unmodest to wear expensive clothing if there is so much poverty in the world and should I give money to charity rather then spend them on nice things when I am older? I am struggling with whether certain things are right to do as modesty is an important moral for me.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Expensive"? Depends on how much you earn. The people who are in poverty can't even afford cut-price deals
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I get my designer clothes from charity shops, that's certainly not selfish
wiseLAD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends how devoted you are. Most moderate Catholics would see nothing wrong with purchasing nice designer clothes as a treat, although there are of course limits- it's pretty hard to justify buying a diamond encrusted watch! In brief, just so what you think is right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
puddingbot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No reason why you can't wear expensive clothes AND donate some money to charity, lots of people do. But I don't think it's selfish to want to wear nice things.
Icebaker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not selfish. This is the capitalist West, we're not living in Stalin-era Russia. If you're successful, if you have the means, then feel free to spend your money as you see fit. It's a free society. Don't make other people's wellbeing your concern, you can't do anything to change the way things are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on how seriously you take your religion.

If you mean you are Catholic - go to Mass, attended a Catholic School, will get married in a Catholic Church etc. etc. but it is really just a superficial matter of form.

You don't really believe all that stuff about heaven and hell, treating others as you would want to be treated, much less that nonsense about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of an needle than a rich man to get to heaven, then go ahead.

In reality your religion will not hinder you and you don't seem to have any other moral compass.
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by pickup)
Depends on how seriously you take your religion.

If you mean you are Catholic - go to Mass, attended a Catholic School, will get married in a Catholic Church etc. etc. but it is really just a superficial matter of form.

You don't really believe all that stuff about heaven and hell, treating others as you would want to be treated, much less that nonsense about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of an needle than a rich man to get to heaven, then go ahead.

In reality your religion will not hinder you and you don't seem to have any other moral compass.
I have other morals I don't go to church I don't want to get married I have a personal relationship with God so I do not think I need to go to Church as I speak to God everyday. Do you think I should only spend money on things I need and not want?
wiseLAD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well firstly, I think you should consider going to church as it is, in my opinion essential for having a close relationship with God, but that is a discussion for the TSR Catholic Society And technically yes, but I feel no guilt in buying some nice clothes from time to time as long as it's for the right reasons ie because you like the look of the clothes as opposed to because everyone else wears designer brands

Posted from TSR Mobile
theantiparticle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should just be honest with yourself as to why you truly want these things. Do they induce a feeling of superiority? Does the lack of them make you feel inferior to those who do own these things?

I don't think being a Catholic should restrict what clothing one can buy but if you are worried that people are going without food in the world and you happen to have some disposable income then you should go with your gut feeling, nobody else can decide for you.
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maria1812)
I have other morals I don't go to church I don't want to get married I have a personal relationship with God so I do not think I need to go to Church as I speak to God everyday. Do you think I should only spend money on things I need and not want?
Well it's personal choice isn't it?

You have to weigh up whether you get pleasure more from treats you can buy for yourself or from using that money to help other people.

It's not black and white - so you are allowed new clothes you know.

But, when it is out of all proportion ie you are prepared to spend thousands on a handbag or dozens of them, then I think that your moral compass is not functioning for whatever reason.

It seems, from what you wrote, that you are aware that you are missing some ability to act with common decency. That is why I wrote that it depends whether you have internalised your religion or whether you don't really believe it.

I repeat, as you are a Christian?, even if not a practising Catholic, do you believe in what Christ said? If you don't then religiously, you have no problem and your actions will be guided by your conscience. You don't say what sort of God your God is. If he's the sort who says go for it and indulge yourself OK.
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by theantiparticle)
I think you should just be honest with yourself as to why you truly want these things. Do they induce a feeling of superiority? Does the lack of them make you feel inferior to those who do own these things?

I don't think being a Catholic should restrict what clothing one can buy but if you are worried that people are going without food in the world and you happen to have some disposable income then you should go with your gut feeling, nobody else can decide for you.
I do not care what people think how I look but when you walk into a nice store I see nice soft cashmere clothing I like how they feel and I like how the designer bags look really nice. If you go to affordable shops the items in my opinion are not as elegant and I like organic mateirals only as I dislike synthetic materials as they feel nicer. Is this wrong I just like their look and how the materials feel. I like leather bags,shoes but is this selfish? As I like qulity a lot not to feel superior I just like how they look and I like good quality materials such as Cahmere and cotton.
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by pickup)
Well it's personal choice isn't it?

You have to weigh up whether you get pleasure more from treats you can buy for yourself or from using that money to help other people.

It's not black and white - so you are allowed new clothes you know.

But, when it is out of all proportion ie you are prepared to spend thousands on a handbag or dozens of them, then I think that your moral compass is not functioning for whatever reason.

It seems, from what you wrote, that you are aware that you are missing some ability to act with common decency. That is why I wrote that it depends whether you have internalised your religion or whether you don't really believe it.

I repeat, as you are a Christian?, even if not a practising Catholic, do you believe in what Christ said? If you don't then religiously, you have no problem and your actions will be guided by your conscience. You don't say what sort of God your God is. If he's the sort who says go for it and indulge yourself OK.
I believe in God I often sturggle between religion and morality I often struggle to try and live a life that is fulfilling such as helping others and be kind to others but i struggle as i promise to do the right thing but I can't keep them. I practice my religion differently I think it is about the relationship you have with God I think church is a place you go to have inspiration and try and be stronger. I don't go to Chruch as I don't think I need to.I like nice things i don't purchase them though I have this deep desire to have them but I don't purchase them as i would feel bad and I want to do the right thing so i save all my money so I won't feel guilty If i spend it on myself I keep it for emergencies such as for food and things I need I want to try to be slefless.
theantiparticle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maria1812)
I do not care what people think how I look but when you walk into a nice store I see nice soft cashmere clothing I like how they feel and I like how the designer bags look really nice. If you go to affordable shops the items in my opinion are not as elegant and I like organic mateirals only as I dislike synthetic materials as they feel nicer. Is this wrong I just like their look and how the materials feel. I like leather bags,shoes but is this selfish? As I like qulity a lot not to feel superior I just like how they look and I like good quality materials such as Cahmere and cotton.
Ok, therefore its just a case of striking the right balance between not spending too much on clothing and donating perhaps a small amount to a charity if you want. There is only so much you can do, you still have to live your life, you cant be expected to give everything to charity, just follow your conscience
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by theantiparticle)
Ok, therefore its just a case of striking the right balance between not spending too much on clothing and donating perhaps a small amount to a charity if you want. There is only so much you can do, you still have to live your life, you cant be expected to give everything to charity, just follow your conscience
Thank you I will make the right decision when I will be grown up. I will fallow my conscience and look more into things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.03%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.78%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.76%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.26%
No (284)
71.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed