rachlawt97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I actually feel really stupid posting this thread but I just need help.

So I'm doing A2 Geography and my mock for Unit 4 did not go well. I'm re-sitting soon and I think what's letting me down is that I'm just really confused on how to structure the report?
If you're doing/have done this exam then any help would be greatly appreciated! How are you/how have you been taught to structure it and what do you need to include? It's stressing me out big time (I've tried to ask my teachers but they just look at me like I'm stupid so here I am..)

I'm doing the Tectonic Activity and Hazards option by the way!

Thanks
hannahw807
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm taking the Tectonics option too!

This thread should help you:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...117&p=53105931

In it I posted a structure for a report that you should follow. I copied it here for you

Section 1a - Introduction (10 marks)
1- REFERENCE - actually make reference to your title in your introduction.
2- DEFINITIONS - indirectly define the key words in the title so that you break the main title down.
3- FOCUS - you must state what you are going to be looking at in particular in this report. Diagrams of key concepts go here.
4- FRAMEWORK - how you are going to address the question with concepts and case studies. Make sure to mention here your 3-4 main case studies that you intend to use in the answer. These must be relevant and up to date. Each case study must be justified as to why you think it is an ideal case study to use for the particular piece of information you are discussing.

Section 1b - Methodology (15 marks)
1- PRIMARY SOURCES - people, interviews, your own experience.
2- SECONDARY SOURCES - websites, newspapers, DVDs, online essays, podcasts, magazines etc. Name specific methods, and if you can, specific articles. Justify your use of them. Cite as many as possible.

Section 2 - Analysis, application and understanding (20 marks)
Include main concepts and theories
Pepper your essay with snippets of information from other case studies.
Mention any different values or perspectives on any topic that you are discussing.
Use 3-4 main case studies. Make sure you vary the location of these case studies eg one in Asia, one in North America, an LIC and a HIC etc.
Make sure you mention both sides of any arguments even though you may lean towards one side of the argument.
Use sourcing of information throughout.

Section 3 - Conclusions and evaluation (15 marks)
Start your conclusion by emphasizing the complexity of the question set.
Recall the content/case studies of the essay as a summary (specifically mention these by name).
Evaluate at the end of the essay, but also try to evaluate throughout the essay.

Overall
1. Include headings that are underlined, in the style of a report. (eg 1.1 - Introduction, 1.2 - Methodology)
2. Use sub headings within each section. (eg 1.2.1 - Primary research, 1.2.2 - Secondary research)
3. Diagrams must be legible. Make diagrams at least 1/3 of a side. Also, annotate and figure reference the diagram. Refer to this figure reference at an appropriate point in the text.
4. Reference throughout your work, whether it be people or websites.
5. Make sure that spelling and grammar are perfect. You get 10 marks
for quality of written work and communication.
6. Use black pen to write with and a pencil and ruler to draw with.

If you have any problems, please don't hesitate to ask
rachlawt97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by hannahw807)

In it I posted a structure for a report that you should follow. I copied it here for you

2- DEFINITIONS - indirectly define the key words in the title so that you break the main title down.
3- FOCUS - you must state what you are going to be looking at in particular in this report. Diagrams of key concepts go here.
4- FRAMEWORK - how you are going to address the question with concepts and case studies. Make sure to mention here your 3-4 main case studies that you intend to use in the answer. These must be relevant and up to date. Each case study must be justified as to why you think it is an ideal case study to use for the particular piece of information you are discussing.

2- SECONDARY SOURCES - websites, newspapers, DVDs, online essays, podcasts, magazines etc. Name specific methods, and if you can, specific articles. Justify your use of them. Cite as many as possible.

Mention any different values or perspectives on any topic that you are discussing.
Use 3-4 main case studies. Make sure you vary the location of these case studies eg one in Asia, one in North America, an LIC and a HIC etc.
Make sure you mention both sides of any arguments even though you may lean towards one side of the argument.

Recall the content/case studies of the essay as a summary (specifically mention these by name).
Evaluate at the end of the essay, but also try to evaluate throughout the essay.

Overall
1. Include headings that are underlined, in the style of a report. (eg 1.1 - Introduction, 1.2 - Methodology)
2. Use sub headings within each section. (eg 1.2.1 - Primary research, 1.2.2 - Secondary research)
3. Diagrams must be legible. Make diagrams at least 1/3 of a side. Also, annotate and figure reference the diagram. Refer to this figure reference at an appropriate point in the text.

Thank you so much!!! You're amazing, this is so, so helpful
lillyac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pre-release out!

anyone have any structure for the tectonics report now that we have the pre-release? What physical and what human factors are people thinking of? And what impacts are you guys thinking of discussing?

I am definitely using the Crunch model (maybe this will even form the structure of the report) and dreggs model to compare LICs and HICs disasters. Does Parks model fit in anywhere? Cant see where it might fit in..
For case studies I am thinking Kobe, Christchurch, Haiti (earthquakes), Pinatubo, Iceland and Nyiragongo (volcanoes) and Japan vs Asian Tsunamis.

However I'm still a bit confused as to physical vs. human and which impacts to focus on..anyone have any ideas?what impacts are you guys thinking of and what are the factors?
Attached files
lillyac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannahw807)

Overall

Hey, this was AMAZINGLY HElpful, thank you!! Do you by any chance have any ideas about how to prepare for the specific pre-release? Our teacher hasn't gone over it yet, and I'm pretty confused about human vs physical impacts and how to section the report...what sections are you thinking of?

Thanksss
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (510)
51.2%
No (486)
48.8%

Watched Threads