Grade boundaries.Why is that?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I got the Scaled component Grade boundaries from the AQApapers done in Jan 2003.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/...-bound-E03.pdf

Take Biology A unit 2 for example. To get an A u only had to get 67% which suggests that the test was a bit hard and that the marks were scaled down.However for the same exam u had to get 40% for an E which its the standard mark without scaling up or down.Surely if to get an A u only needed 69% than to get an E u should only need about 29%.
The same trend can be seen for most exams (except for coursework units).Why is this? This seems unfair to the people just aiming for a pass.
rowei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're right. On most exams over recent years the mark needed to get an A seems to have decreased slightly, from a 70%+ mark to a 60%+ mark, but the mark needed for an E has remained about the same. That means that there is less disparity between an E grade candidate and an A grade candidate, meaning that more people get the top grades, but not necessarily more people passing.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
is there a good reason for this?
rowei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know. All I know is that grade boundaries are formulated based on how well/badly candidates performed in an exam, so in a hard exam low overall grade boundaries would be justified. As a general rule, there should normally be about 40% separating an A and an E, but it can be as little as 25%.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its because less people would have passes at the higher boundaries, basically meaning an A a few years ago is worth more than an A now (ignoring all the change in the system, of course).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Im aware how secretive edexcel are about grade boundaries but does anyone have last years grade boundaries?
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, their not that secretive, they are in every examiners report
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
True..but when i mean secretive I mean not widely avaliable on the web like AQA.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are there any GCSE ones around? Just wanting to know if I really did that well at all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (17)
7.83%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (14)
6.45%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (45)
20.74%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (28)
12.9%
No, nothing has changed (73)
33.64%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (40)
18.43%

Watched Threads