Turn on thread page Beta

Grade boundaries.Why is that? watch

Announcements

I got the Scaled component Grade boundaries from the AQApapers done in Jan 2003.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/...-bound-E03.pdf

Take Biology A unit 2 for example. To get an A u only had to get 67% which suggests that the test was a bit hard and that the marks were scaled down.However for the same exam u had to get 40% for an E which its the standard mark without scaling up or down.Surely if to get an A u only needed 69% than to get an E u should only need about 29%.
    The same trend can be seen for most exams (except for coursework units).Why is this? This seems unfair to the people just aiming for a pass.

ReputationRep:
    You're right. On most exams over recent years the mark needed to get an A seems to have decreased slightly, from a 70%+ mark to a 60%+ mark, but the mark needed for an E has remained about the same. That means that there is less disparity between an E grade candidate and an A grade candidate, meaning that more people get the top grades, but not necessarily more people passing.

is there a good reason for this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. All I know is that grade boundaries are formulated based on how well/badly candidates performed in an exam, so in a hard exam low overall grade boundaries would be justified. As a general rule, there should normally be about 40% separating an A and an E, but it can be as little as 25%.

ReputationRep:
    Its because less people would have passes at the higher boundaries, basically meaning an A a few years ago is worth more than an A now (ignoring all the change in the system, of course).

Im aware how secretive edexcel are about grade boundaries but does anyone have last years grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    no, their not that secretive, they are in every examiners report

True..but when i mean secretive I mean not widely avaliable on the web like AQA.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any GCSE ones around? Just wanting to know if I really did that well at all.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.