Substitution for Definite Integrals with Trig

Watch this thread
username970964
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Name:  20150207_182537.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  313.1 KB

Are steps missing between lines 1 and 2? have no idea how the equation changed so drastically.
WishingChaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
The first line is incorrect anyway.

Given  x = \tan(\theta) , what is  dx ?

(Original post by Airess3)

Are steps missing between lines 1 and 2? have no idea how the equation changed so drastically.
username970964
Rep:
(Original post by WishingChaff)
The first line is incorrect anyway.

Given  x = \tan(\theta) , what is  dx ?
sec^2 θ
Anonymous_0749
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago

my working out would be literally:

[arctan(x) ] pi/4 and 0 limits ; you get the formula in the formula book ? well for mei we do (FP2)
WishingChaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, pretty much. You get that:

\text{d}x = \sec^2(\theta) \text{d} \theta

Now, you need to substitute this into your integral, along with the correct limits. But, before doing this, do you know a trigonometric identity that might help here?

Spoiler:
Show

1+\tan^2(\theta) =  \sec^2(\theta)

Once this is done, what does your integral now simplify too? It should, of course, be an integral of the dummy variable  \theta

sec^2 θ
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

you may find some of these examples useful

PDF.pdf
username970964
Rep:
(Original post by TeeEm)
you may find some of these examples useful

PDF.pdf
Thanks! But can you explain how you got from the step before to 1/2 + 1/2 cos2θ dθ in the third line in example 3? Is it derived from a certain trig identity?
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thanks! But can you explain how you got from the step before to 1/2 + 1/2 cos2θ dθ in the third line in example 3? Is it derived from a certain trig identity?
standard identities useful in integration

cos2x = 1/2 +1/2cos(2x)
sin2x = 1/2 -1/2cos(2x)

they are rearrangements of cos(2x) trigonometric identities
username970964
Rep:
(Original post by TeeEm)
standard identities useful in integration

cos2x = 1/2 +1/2cos(2x)
sin2x = 1/2 -1/2cos(2x)

they are rearrangements of cos(2x) trigonometric identities
Name:  Photo on 08-02-2015 at 16.59.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  173.1 KB Name:  Photo on 08-02-2015 at 17.01.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  142.1 KB

So I got the answer to be 1? Is that the right answer or did something go wrong?
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Name:  Photo on 08-02-2015 at 16.59.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  173.1 KB Name:  Photo on 08-02-2015 at 17.01.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  142.1 KB

So I got the answer to be 1? Is that the right answer or did something go wrong?
I should be able to read it but at the moment I have forgotten how to reflect my head
username970964
Rep:
(Original post by TeeEm)
I should be able to read it but at the moment I have forgotten how to reflect my head
Ok, here's the pictures, yesterday my phone ran out of charge so I had to use the camera from my laptop.
Attached files
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Ok, here's the pictures, yesterday my phone ran out of charge so I had to use the camera from my laptop.
the first 4 lines are correct then it is wrong

∫ 1 dθ integrates to θ, with limits in θ
username970964
Rep:
(Original post by TeeEm)
the first 4 lines are correct then it is wrong

∫ 1 dθ integrates to θ, with limits in θ
Ah, ok, so the final answer is pi/4.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (116)
29.82%
It went fairly well (185)
47.56%
It didn't go too well (60)
15.42%
TERRIBLE! (28)
7.2%

Watched Threads