The Ultimate Paris thread Watch

fille française
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm going to Paris with some friends soon and just wondered what tips everyone has about the city.........hostels, clubs, bars, hotels, restaurants, museums, shops..........pretty much anything!!!

Thanks!
Janey145
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fille française)
I'm going to Paris with some friends soon and just wondered what tips everyone has about the city.........hostels, clubs, bars, hotels, restaurants, museums, shops..........pretty much anything!!!

Thanks!
I am SO jealous.
I went last half term and it was fantastic. Having been several times now i can safely say it's the best city I've ever visited.
You have to do the Louvre obviously, and the musée d'orsay and the pompidou centre are worth it too. Obviously go see Montmartre - if not the cathedral go walk round the artist square.
Imo the best area to stay in is the student quarter/St germain. It's full of...well students, and is probably the safest part. Also go to the Latin quarter one evening - it's awesome.
I love literature so I also trekked round all the famous coffee shops where Voltaire, Camus, Sartre, de Beauvoir etc. used to go. pretty great feeling drinking coffee in the same place as the greats!
If you (for some insane reason) want to get out of Paris for the day go to Versailles. It's well worth it.
Clubs all depend on the season. If you're going to stay at a hostel (the best imo) then there'll be loads of people who'll tell you where's best & when.
Have fun!!

P.S. Probably worth getting a rough guide - i find they're the best for avoiding the usual touristy places.
FrenchGal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Janey145 gave you good tips.
Don't miss the Marais (Saint Paul's métro station, ligne 1, the yellow one :p:), the Jewish/gay area. In the daytime, it's full of (very expensive :p:)clothes shops as Zadig et Voltaire, Paul and Joe... very trendy. The Place des Vosges is the most beautiful square in Paris IMO, there are lovely cafés where you can sit, hardly any cars. The rue des Rosiers has a tea shop called Le Loir dans la Théière which is well worth it.
In the nightime... the streets fill up with gay guys, and when you're a girl, you feel so safe... there are bars and clubs, and it's busier than in the daytime.
I went there to watch the World Cup final last July... nice atmosphere.
dragon_1706
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I enjoyed walking around the Marais too. Last time I was in Paris, I stayed in Montparnasse, which I didn't know much about, but it's quite a nice area - there are places to eat etc round there, but it's also quite quiet.
Badassbabe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My biggest tip...try to speak French as much as poss, the response you get from people is so different.
dragon_1706
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Badassbabe)
My biggest tip...try to speak French as much as poss, the response you get from people is so different.
Very true!
FrenchGal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do go get a drink at the Place de la Contrescarpe (rue Mouffetard, 5e arrondissement). I spent endless hours sitting around the fountain in the middle between classes. Actually, bring your own juice as it is sooooooo expensive there. But there's a place there where they sell cheap nutella crêpes. That's our drug, to us students :p:
À la folie, pas du tout
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
go to the tower at montparnasse too, at nightime - you can see the whole of paris it's pretty cool.... and paris is amazing you're gonna have the best time i'm so jealous!! i wanna go again!
lejones17
Report 12 years ago
just got back from paris with uni!..........one tip.........it is EXTREMELY expensive, espesh 4 drink so make sure u take alot of money

you probs no this alredi
KerriT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is the other option of not drinking... anyway, my contribution is go to Les Deux Magots on Boulevard St Germain and have a hot chocolate and watch the world go by. I think the hot chocolate is 4euros but it is divine!
akmd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Virgin Megastore at Champs Elysees has some amazing architecture. The interior looks like a gothic cathedral. It's really cool.

I also went to the Arc De Triomphe and Longchamp racecourse for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe. The Hotel Sofitel at Boulevard Saint-Jacques (now a Marriott hotel) was really nice too. I'd love to go back.
applejuice345
Report 11 years ago
How much will I be needing for 4 days in Paris excluding accommodation ? I am going to be a proper tourist
Guidelines will be appreciated! thanks
applejuice345
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
Well it's 4-5€ for a crêpe/sandwich on the rue de Rivoli, probably a bit more or a bit less elsewhere.
Allow 4€ for a half-pint, probably about the same for a soft drink or a coffee (coffee a little more sometimes).
Public transport is 1,40 per journey, though if you're using it a lot you could get a Paris Visite pass (can't remember the exact price, but the website: www.ratp.fr)

Not sure about entry prices ; I think the musée d'orsay is something like 8€ entry, the louvre is probably more I'd guess.

If you budget 40-50€ a day you should have plenty so long as you aren't after posh/cooked meals.
ah ok cool! then I would think around 200€ shall be enough. Better take the card just in case....
thanks!
Juncture
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
Not sure about entry prices ; I think the musée d'orsay is something like 8€ entry, the louvre is probably more I'd guess.
I don't know about the age of the OP but if you're under 18 you can get into both of those for free (and i'd imagine most other museums/art galleries)
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can get nice three-course meals for about 15 euros. I think we only tended to eat one meal a day (always steak!) when we were there, probably because we got up late and did loads of sightseeing so we didn't have time to eat other than in the evenings!
quadruple_twist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You have to go to the Locomotive nightclub (it's right next to the Moulin Rouge) just to experience how dire it is! It's so dire it's actually fun!! Drink beforehand though because it's €8 for a 30cl can of beer and €7 for a shot...

As for where to eat: Chartiers!!! I can't remember where exactly it is but it's either on or near Rue de Faubourg. It's an amazing experience: €6 for a bottle of house wine, the waiters write your orders on the tablecloth, the menu's only in French and it's always busy, bustling and dirt cheap (for Paris anyway). Couldn't recommend it more!
lorrybeep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are the shops closed on the weekend in Paris? I know the rest of the country are but since Paris being the shopping capital, are they?
applejuice345
Report 11 years ago
hmmm I am only taking 200 euros for a four day trip in paris.. is that enough or am I going to have to take the debit card just incase..
my accommodation is already paid for which includes breakfast and dinner..
applejuice345
Report 11 years ago
merci beaucoup !
Findthecar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know this might be a silly question when we're talking about France, but how is Paris for veggies? I'm not necessarily looking for a full on veggie restaurant or anything, but how many of the cafes/ restaurants have something meat and fish free on the menu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads