Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi ive just finished an assignment for A level pe which was supposed to be less than 3000 words. ive gone 450 words over though do u think they will notice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hi ive just finished an assignment for A level pe which was supposed to be less than 3000 words. ive gone 450 words over though do u think they will notice :rolleyes:
    Yes. You're better off handing in nothing, than going over the word limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking)
    Yes. You're better off handing in nothing, than going over the word limit.
    ok im gonna delete some stuff it might get precious marks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    my frend had the same problem and the teacher told her that if she hadent cut the words out it would have been an A but becoz she cut them she gt a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    my frend had the same problem and the teacher told her that if she hadent cut the words out it would have been an A but becoz she cut them she gt a C
    wait im changing my mind..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ok im gonna delete some stuff it might get precious marks though
    just join words together. like turn 'is not it' into innit. it's an easy way to reduce your word count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    wait im changing my mind..
    only try to shorten sentences without changing any bit of the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    only try to shorten sentences without changing any bit of the content
    ok cheers for ure help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ok cheers for ure help
    no problems (gud luck with ur crswrk)
    i handed all mine in

ReputationRep:
    Can't you try annotating a diagram, or putting some information into a table so that it doesn't count as part of the word count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ok cheers for ure help
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    one of my courseworks was 3500ish instead of 3000. that was pushing it a bit. If you can cut out about 200 words (ususally quite easy - don't get rid of any major points; just make your wording more succint and concise - maybe use funky punctuation to get rid of too many conjunctions) you'll be safe (the word limit is more of a guidline than a concrete rule; as long as the essay doesn't feel excessively long they won't check it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    I'd love to have had that problem with my economics coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking)
    just join words together. like turn 'is not it' into innit. it's an easy way to reduce your word count.
    ...and your grade, I would imagine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Can't you try annotating a diagram, or putting some information into a table so that it doesn't count as part of the word count?
    good idea but its supposed to be an essay i think so i dont think they'd allow diagrams. I'll just hand it in coz its only about a quater of a page over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    one of my courseworks was 3500ish instead of 3000. that was pushing it a bit. If you can cut out about 200 words (ususally quite easy - don't get rid of any major points; just make your wording more succint and concise - maybe use funky punctuation to get rid of too many conjunctions) you'll be safe (the word limit is more of a guidline than a concrete rule; as long as the essay doesn't feel excessively long they won't check it).
    yea i think the teacher might be marking it anyway but then again he is sad enough to spend his time counting words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    yea i think the teacher might be marking it anyway but then again he is sad enough to spend his time counting words
    Well, he would know how many lines are on a page, take an average of words per line and ta-da. But I doubt he would bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Well, he would know how many lines are on a page, take an average of words per line and ta-da. But I doubt he would bother.
    i hope not

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the exam board whether or not it matters...

my media (aqa) was 3500, on my teacher said that it didn't matter
    my history (ocr) was 3052, and my teacher said that the examiner was allowed to not mark the 52 words if he wanted to. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    It depends on the exam board whether or not it matters...

my media (aqa) was 3500, on my teacher said that it didn't matter
    my history (ocr) was 3052, and my teacher said that the examiner was allowed to not mark the 52 words if he wanted to. :rolleyes:
    its aqa but we all got told not to go over the limit and that examiners can tell when there over

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.