Turn on thread page Beta

Food For Thought! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    first off.. I'm not middle class.. incase that was a reference towards me. And secondly.. since when do people start listening to the church? the church also preaches abstinance.. but they don't listen to that do they?
    it wasnt a reference at you, mearly a comparitive to make a point

ReputationRep:
    chickenpox isn't deadly first of all. second.. herpies is not as well..
    AIDS is a deadly VIRUS!! It can be spread.. CANCER CANNOT, unless it is genetic, in which case so what? CANCER can hinder a person, or it can make them live.. it can give them the freedom of doing what they please without worrying about their future because they know what is coming. I am merely saying that aids can be stopped, but we are to ignorant as a whole to realize this.
    Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head, there are many contagious diseases/virusses out there, that if left untreated can proove fatal, how bout menigitus for one or hepititus for another. How do you suggest we stop the aids virus, just let all those who have it just die, Hmm yeah there ya go, extermination, problem solved. As it has already been stated those who have it know the risks and they aren't out there trying to infect the rest of us. As for people's stupidity, hell you can't control what people do. If they want to go out and have unprotected sex, you can't stop them.

ReputationRep:
    AIDS is a simple thing to stop the spread of.. You CEASE high risk behaviors.. sexual intercourse.. UNLESS YOU KNOW YOUR PARTNER, AND YOU KNOW THAT NEITHER OF YOU HAVE TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE HIV BACTERIA! But our society nowadays.. we are PLEASURE BOUND! We have sex because it feels good, not because we care for the person we are with.. THAT IS WRONG! Would you like to read something very good? It doesn't speak of aids or sex, but it DOES speak of the carelessness of todays society.
    what about those is underdeveloped countries who do not have access to the tests? or women who are forced to have sex with men because of the society/ culture in which they live? what if the pair had taken precautions, but the disease had been transmitted by means other than sex (if it is transmitted through bodily fluids then surely blood transfusions, kissing, eating food which has been sneezed on could spread the disease)?

ReputationRep:
    referring to original post-

umm- I thought you were a christian?

ReputationRep:
    Just because they have no money doesn't mean that they shouldn't get condoms. I am sure there are clinics there that offer them for free.
    perhaps not- not all countries have the money to provide free contraception. and what makes you think that a prostitute has a choice over whether the man wears a condom?

ReputationRep:
    first off.. I'm not middle class.. incase that was a reference towards me. And secondly.. since when do people start listening to the church? the church also preaches abstinance.. but they don't listen to that do they?
    why should people in south africa listen to the church- christianity was one of the main arguments made for the instigation of arpatheid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    I believe that enzymes in saliva kill the HIV virus, ruling out kissing and sneezing, unless there are cuts in the mouth and nose that would allow blood to pass through. Low chance, though, and I've read of HIV sufferers checking for cuts.

Blood transfusions can cause HIV to spread. Paul Michael Glaser's [Starsky of Starsky and Hutch] wife contracted HIV in the early 1980s through a transfusion, then passed it on to her son and daughter. His wife and daughter both died and his son is HIV positive. However, all transfusion blood is now rigourously tested for any disease, there are very strict controls.
    not in china- they had a program to pay people to give blood, didn't check the needles properly, and now a large number of chinese people are suffering from aids. I doubt that the correct proceedures etc. are strictly followed in many third world countries

the point about saliva has been noted though and will be checked

ReputationRep:
    For the HIV virus to be transmited by saliva you would have to drink 11 pints of bloody slavia in one go they estimate. That is how low the risk is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    For the HIV virus to be transmited by saliva you would have to drink 11 pints of bloody slavia in one go they estimate. That is how low the risk is.
    lol- drink up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head, there are many contagious diseases/virusses out there, that if left untreated can proove fatal, how bout menigitus for one or hepititus for another. How do you suggest we stop the aids virus, just let all those who have it just die, Hmm yeah there ya go, extermination, problem solved. As it has already been stated those who have it know the risks and they aren't out there trying to infect the rest of us. As for people's stupidity, hell you can't control what people do. If they want to go out and have unprotected sex, you can't stop them.
    Here in order to go into highschool you have to have your hepatitus shots, along with a booster shot every year or so. But thats just my school. As for meningitis.. is it just me or is that not transmitted by physical contact or contact with bodily fluids?
    sorry.. I'm off again.. continue this tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Why Drop the Debt?

For the story of how the debt began, and how it grew, be sure to read
    A Beginner's guide to the Debt Crisis

Debt costs lives:
    In the world’s most impoverished nations, the majority of the populations do not have access to clean water, adequate housing or basic health care. These countries are paying debt service to wealthy nations and institutions at the expense of providing these basic services to their citizens. The lives of 19,000 children could be saved every day if the debt of these countries was cancelled and savings put to good use.

"Must we starve our children to pay our debts?" Julius Nyerere, former President of Tanzania

Debt sucks:
    Debt sucks the natural resources out of a country, forcing countries to become dependent on international creditors for more aid and new loans.

"Debt is tearing down schools, clinics and hospitals and the effects are no less devastating than war." Dr. Adabayo Adedeji from the African Center for Development Strategy

Strings attached:
    The conditions that come with new loans and debt relief hurt the poor. Debt relief under the current program takes essential human services, like primary health and education and access to safe water, out of reach of the impoverished majority.

FACT: Even interim debt relief is conditioned on the requirement that countries sign a new loan.

They already paid:
    These nations have already paid back their debts time and again. The debt crisis set in when interest rates skyrocketed and compound interest made repayment impossible.

FACT: Nigeria borrowed $5 billion, paid $16 billion to date and still owes $32 billion.

Don’t owe:
    Much of the debt is a result of "bad faith" lending including:

* the practice of pushing loans on developing nations because banks had too much money and had to lend it;
    * knowingly lending to corrupt governments for political purposes;
    * lending with conditions that ensured that profits return to the creditors.

Some debt also resulted from stolen wealth, or loans that were used to serve the purposes of the elite and not the people. Other debt resulted from irresponsible projects that failed to serve a greater purpose, or caused harm to the people or the environment.

This is why debt campaigns from around the world say "Don’t Owe, Won’t Pay!"

from http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cg..._the_debt.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Why Drop the Debt?

Debt costs lives:
    In the world’s most impoverished nations, the majority of the populations do not have access to clean water, adequate housing or basic health care. These countries are paying debt service to wealthy nations and institutions at the expense of providing these basic services to their citizens. The lives of 19,000 children could be saved every day if the debt of these countries was cancelled and savings put to good use.

"Must we starve our children to pay our debts?" Julius Nyerere, former President of Tanzania

Debt sucks:
    Debt sucks the natural resources out of a country, forcing countries to become dependent on international creditors for more aid and new loans.

"Debt is tearing down schools, clinics and hospitals and the effects are no less devastating than war." Dr. Adabayo Adedeji from the African Center for Development Strategy

Strings attached:
    The conditions that come with new loans and debt relief hurt the poor. Debt relief under the current program takes essential human services, like primary health and education and access to safe water, out of reach of the impoverished majority.

FACT: Even interim debt relief is conditioned on the requirement that countries sign a new loan.

They already paid:
    These nations have already paid back their debts time and again. The debt crisis set in when interest rates skyrocketed and compound interest made repayment impossible.

FACT: Nigeria borrowed $5 billion, paid $16 billion to date and still owes $32 billion.

Don’t owe:
    Much of the debt is a result of "bad faith" lending including:

* the practice of pushing loans on developing nations because banks had too much money and had to lend it;
    * knowingly lending to corrupt governments for political purposes;
    * lending with conditions that ensured that profits return to the creditors.

Some debt also resulted from stolen wealth, or loans that were used to serve the purposes of the elite and not the people. Other debt resulted from irresponsible projects that failed to serve a greater purpose, or caused harm to the people or the environment.

This is why debt campaigns from around the world say "Don’t Owe, Won’t Pay!"

from http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cg..._the_debt.html
    You are very intelligent. But do you speak from experience? Merely curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Why Drop the Debt?

Debt costs lives:
    This assumes rather a lot. It assumes that the money saved by debt cancellation will be spent on all of these wonderful things; potable water, adequate housing, basic health and education etc.

The problem is that these "the world's most impoverished nations" are also the worlds most corrupt nations.

The reason many of these countries found themselves in debt in the first place was not because they were borrowing money to build their infrastructures and provide potable water, adequate housing, basic health and education etc, but to build up armies and erect palaces as a tribute to the vanities of their politicians.

IMO, we could cancel all debt tommorrow and in five years time the majority of these countries would'nt have a ten tap stands more than they have today.

I think assuming that this saved money will be spent on these things is a bit naive to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    It is now time to begin the reckoning.
    why- because they didn't agree to a war with no legal reason?

One list contains the names of countries which have stood by our side during the Iraq conflict. This list is short.

The United Kingdom, Spain, Bulgaria, Australia, and Poland are some of
    the countries listed there.

The other list contains everyone not on the first list.

Most of the worlds nations are on that list. My press secretary will be distributing copies of both lists later this evening.

Let me start by saying that effective immediately, foreign aid to those nations on List 2 ceases immediately and indefinitely. The money saved during the first year alone will pretty much pay for the costs of the Iraqi war.
    ah- so those countries who had experianced the horrors of war and didn't want to cause bloodshed will be penelised? and the people in those countries which have no money, desperately need the aid but couldn't go to war because they have huge debts already are going to be left to starve?

Need help with a famine? Wrestling with an epidemic? Call France.
    errm- why france in particular?

In the future, together with Congress, I will work to redirect this money toward solving the vexing social problems we still have at home.
    unlike so many third world countries

Screw with us and we will hunt you down and eliminate you and all your friends from the face of the earth. Thirsting for a gutsy country to terrorize, no room in this world where you won't be hunted down and eliminated.
    and if you get the wrong people?

I am ordering the immediate severing of diplomatic relations with France, Germany, and Russia. Thanks for all your help, comrades. We are retiring from NATO as well. Bon chance, mes amis.
    great- years of difficult dimplomacy trying to avert another world war out of the window. nice one.

A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2.

Since we are likely to be seeing a lot more of each other, you folks might want to try not pissing us off for a change.
    or what- you'll nuke them as well?

Mexico is also on List 2.

President Fox and his entire corrupt government really need an attitude adjustment. I will have a couple extra tank and infantry divisions sitting around. Guess where I am gonna put em? Yep, border security. So start doing something with your oil.
    yah errm- mexican immigrants form the basis of a large amount of america's industrial labour, without them, american firms could be a bit screwed. could also be a bit of a problem for the maquiladoras which provide so many cheap goods for america

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    unlike so many third world countries
    Screw the third world. American tax dollars for American people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    naturally.. very good.!!!! *nods agreement*

ReputationRep:
    A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2.
    Um, last time I checked Canada was on the "list" of the coalition forces in Iraq. And I assumed thats how you based this list type thing from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Um, last time I checked Canada was on the "list" of the coalition forces in Iraq. And I assumed thats how you based this list type thing from.
    I didn't write that list.. so I don't know how they were compiled. But I am a new yorker, and I have heard nothing of canadian armed forces in iraq. Oh and don't get me started on canadian and american relations.. not a good topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    unfair trade agreements instigated by america and other first world countries keep the third worlders in poverty- it is only fair that they should at least give some compensation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    unfair trade agreements instigated by america and other first world countries keep the third worlders in poverty- it is only fair that they should at least give some compensation.
    I think the third world countries should have to pay off their debts, but WITHOUT interest. Interest is just plain.... wrong!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.