The Student Room Group

Reapplying to cambridge advice

I'm currently doing doing my A2s and was rejected from maths at cambridge this year ( I had a really bad interview.) My AS results were 4 As in maths further maths, physics and chemistry. My ums average was about 88% (91% average in maths and further maths.)
I did however receive an offer from Warwick of A*A*A grade 2 step.
If I was to work hard I believe I would be able to get 3 A* and 2 grade S step results at the end of this year.
My question is if I do get these results, should I reject my offer from Warwick, take a gap year and reapply to cambridge and If I was too what would be the chances of me getting accepted as I would already have over their usual entry requirements?
Thanks for any advice
Reply 1
If you truly got SS in STEP II and III then they'd take you without hesitation as that shows immense mathematical talent. But are you SURE you can really get that? STEP is ridiculously hard and something like 5% of the people sitting each paper get an 'S' (not certain about the exact %).
Reply 2
I could decline my offer from Warwick all the way too results day so I suppose my question is if I did get SS would I be near guarenteed an offer from cambridge or would it still come down to interview?
Reply 3
Original post by Amandeep_3
I could decline my offer from Warwick all the way too results day so I suppose my question is if I did get SS would I be near guarenteed an offer from cambridge or would it still come down to interview?

You would probably have to give an interview again even though they have seen you before but it is a bit risky declining Warwick because this is still a great university. I don't want to put a downer on you but what if you don't get accepted for Cambridge next year and you already ended up declining Warwick? You're grades at AS are very excellent aswell but Cambridge still rejected you so what if you were to be rejected again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You would still need an interview at Cambridge if you reapply. There is a possibility that it could go as badly as the first one and you could be rejected again. You have to think about how badly you want to go to Cambridge. Also I'm not sure what Cambridge thinks about reapplicants??
Don't think Cambridge are a fan of people taking gap years, especially in subjects like maths unless your somehow keeping your mathematical skills up to scratch for a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would talk to Warwick and ask them to change your option to deffered entry. Then apply to Cambridge next year so you do have your option of Warwick there if you don't get a place.

I did the opposite thing with mine and Warwick are happy to do this. I applied for deffered entry and I changed this to entry for next year.

And you should do something in your gap year to keep mathematical ability up, Cambridge don't like maths applicants taking gap years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Don't think Cambridge are a fan of people taking gap years, especially in subjects like maths unless your somehow keeping your mathematical skills up to scratch for a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some subjects they recommend it (like engineering) if you spend your year wisely. But yes you are correct about maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SerLorasTyrell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queens' are fine with a gap for Maths. Some others are neutral on it.

But it's likely the poster would have to sit STEP again anyway.

On the upside Warwick would still be likely to make an unconditional offer if he reapplied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So if I was to achieve the grades mentioned above and reapplied to cambridge would I be considered as equal footing to someone who has 4As at AS or better?
Original post by Amandeep_3
So if I was to achieve the grades mentioned above and reapplied to cambridge would I be considered as equal footing to someone who has 4As at AS or better?

If you get SS (in STEP II and III that is) and 3A*s you are pretty much guaranteed an offer.

Of course nothing is 100%, but it really is as much a done deal as you can get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending