Can someone explain how the reaction force works to me?

Watch
CancerousProblem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My mechanics teacher assumed it was obvious right from the start and I finished the first two mechanics modules and I'm still left slightly confused about the reaction force
Groot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When an object is lying on the ground, its weight force is acting downwards. The object is clearly not going through the ground but staying in place, so its weight must be balanced by an upward force. This is the reaction force which the ground exerts on the object.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CancerousProblem)
My mechanics teacher assumed it was obvious right from the start and I finished the first two mechanics modules and I'm still left slightly confused about the reaction force
Imagine it this way, when you punch something really hard it hurts doesn't it? Especially if it's a wall. That's because when you punch the wall with a substantial force the wall opposes this force. That is a reaction force.

Another example is: gravity pulls you towards the earth's core, the earth's crust opposes the gravitational force.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (89)
64.49%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed