Me00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi !

I'm a french student and I got offers from Warwick (PPE), Durham (PPE) and Edinburgh (Economics&Politics).

I want to firm Warwick but I don't know which uni to put in insurance !

What should I do ?

Thanks
DBV997
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would go with Durham personally, with a world-renowned economics department, but I would visit both for you to see what you prefer.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would firm Edinburgh personally, better world wide rep, longer history. I didn't even know that Durham had a good econ department so its definitely not "that" world famous. Edinburgh is also a bigger city.
DBV997
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm well the 2 are very different and you need to consider whether you would prefer the 4 year Scottish system or the 3 year English system. Look at each of the courses and decide which you prefer, and think about what place you would be happy spending the next few years of your life in. Well done on both of your offers though, they are both great universities which I'm sure you'd both love
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Durham as some consider it as the alternative to Oxbridge. Has very high student satisfaction (partly due to the student accommodation). Located in a beautiful city which has very low crime rate.

Its part of Duoxbridge!!...only joking!!
laeof
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
Durham as some consider it as the alternative to Oxbridge. Has very high student satisfaction (partly due to the student accommodation). Located in a beautiful city which has very low crime rate.

Its part of Duoxbridge!!...only joking!!
Why would you want to go to an alternative to Oxbridge when you can go to a University just as good? . Edinburgh has the biggest endowment investment after Oxbridge. most of all Edinburgh has one of the consistently ranked one of the most beautiful cities in Europe...so if the choice is up to which has a beautiful city they are both great.

OP choosing a university because "others consider it xyz" all in all is not recommended. Unless you are choosing a university simply to be able to brag to people. Choosing based on other people's opinions is really not recommended.

I have no idea about either economics department to be perfectly honest, but I really would not choose a university because "it has a bit longer history" either.

OP, what's the most important factors for you choosing a University? Have you visited them at all? Is there anything in a city you're after? I've visited Warwick as it was one of my choices but for a very different course to you. I may be able to answer some questions on the place and feel of Warwick though; Warwick is very much a campus university in comparison to durham and Edinburgh so they are very, very different to live in for 3 years!

EDIT: Just seen one of your other posts OP that the course at Edinburgh was not appealing to you. If this is the most important factor for you and the other universities offer more appealing courses then go with those!
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd go with Durham because Edinburgh has such a low student satisfaction whereas Durham has one of the highest. Edinburgh is beautiful and the social life isgood but what's the point when their teaching sucks ass and there's no support. And don't be folled by research rankings and endowment as they don't really say much about undergraduates.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arminb)
what's the point when their teaching sucks ass and there's no support.
Uhuh. I'm sure you're a perfect student though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.4%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.22%
No I am happy with my choice (84)
57.53%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.85%

Watched Threads