Tinkerstwo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
first post so so please be gentle.

my daughter wil be choosing her options soon. Mostly it's foregone conclusion and straight forward.

The last choice is the difficult one for her. A case of what subject she dislikes least from what's left. However she is really interested in photography. The school don't offer gcse photography though so not an option. However they do offer art. My daughter asked if she could pick art but do all photography, but the art teacher said whilst she could do mostly photography she would have to do some drawing/painting. I'm not convinced this is the case.

Anyone any experience of doing solely photography in gcse art? How much work does it involve?

Thanks
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerstwo)
Hi,

my daughter wil be choosing her options soon. Mostly it's foregone conclusion and straight forward.

The last choice is the difficult one for her. A case of what subject she dislikes least from what's left. However she is really interested in photography. The school don't offer gcse photography though so not an option. However they do offer art. My daughter asked if she could pick art but do all photography, but the art teacher said whilst she could do mostly photography she would have to do some drawing/painting. I'm not convinced this is the case.

Anyone any experience of doing solely photography in gcse art? How much work does it involve?

Thanks
Hi

I did a GCSE in art and although I wasn't that interested, I had a few friends in my class who much preferred photography. The most common exam board for art is AQA, so here's the outline of what you have to do for each section and whether photography would be suitable:
- Initial observations: This part HAS to be photography. You get a topic (or pick one), then have to take observational photos around that theme and use them later in the course
- Observational drawing: This is where you draw/paint/sketch the photos you took in a variety of different mediums. Although you may be able to do a few of these through computer photo editing software like photoshop, to get a good grade you need to be able to show variety and that includes using different mediums. You do have to do quite a few of these, and the most common ones that people did were watercolour paint, acrylic paint, ink, pen and wash, biro, chalk pastel, pencil (coloured or monochrome) and line drawing
- Artist analysis: If you want to do a main theme on photography, then you have to pick photographers as your artists. You get examples of their pieces and then have to do 2 parts of analysis: Written and visual. The written analysis is about describing the form and content of the piece, as well as the deeper meanings and symbolism. The visual analysis, although normally done in the same kind of forms as the observational drawings, can be done in the form of photography. You'd have to set up a photo in the same layout and colours to match the original photo as closely as you can, and then maybe edit it afterwards depending on the style of the artist.
- Development: This is where you combine your artists and observational images. This can be done in photography where you edit your original photos in the style of the artist you chose.
- Final piece: Using one of your developments, add to this even more and make it more detailed/bigger/just generally better. If you're doing photography this is more often than not a series of photos.

However, saying that, this is for only one of the 4 projects you will do throughout GCSE. While it is perfectly acceptable to follow that using photography for one project, you aren't showing enough variety of skills to get a good grade if you do that for all of your projects. For example, in my four projects my first was a mixed media sculpture project, the second a large watercolour abstract painting, the third a realistic watercolour painting and the fourth a pencil sketch combined with a clay frame (it was a section of tree made in clay with a hole in the middle where the drawing went as if it was in the knot of the tree), and I got full marks.

Also, if the teacher has already said that they won't be able to do photography throughout, at the end of the day whatever the student wants to do, if the teacher deems the project unsuitable then they will get them to change it, and they are the ones who know what the examiner wants.

I hope this helps

Edit: Also, I would definitely not recommend taking art if you're not dedicated to it. It is NOT an easy, relaxing subject. It's a lot of work and takes up a lot of time, in my case I spend the majority of my time on school work doing art.
guitaristemily
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you know what exam board the school do? ecuase i know that OCR do a lens and light course that is very simualr to the art course (i do both - feel free to ask questions)
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
I don't know about other schools but at mine you were only allowed to do paintings as your projects. Though this was probably due to my teacher rather than the exam board.

I would advise your daughter to speak to the art department at her school to get an idea of what its like there.
aoxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did GCSE art, and there was barely any photography in it. We did do some, to base observational drawings off, and show the progression of our work, but aside from that, there was no photography.

Art and photography are not the same subject, and it is highly unlikely she will be able to pass GCSE art without drawing, painting etc for her portfolio.

There is the option of doing GCSE art and then picking up photography at A Level, but without dedication, it is extremely hard to motivate yourself to do artwork. I would highly suggest speaking to the head of art at her school and look up the spec for her exam board online.
Tinkerstwo
Rep:
?
Thanks for the rtellies. The school is about to change from edexcel to Aqa for art. I did notice that both boards offer 'photography: lens and lights' as part of the art gcse. I think the school isn't geared up for it though. If anyone has done this 'lens and lights' option?

she has already asked her art teacher, who told her she could do mostly photograpghy but would have to do some drawing/painting.

She loves photography and (ok I'm biased) she seems pretty good. Art she isn't so keen on (though she seems quite good at the analysis stuff) and she isn't really brilliant at art. Can draw reasonably well, but I wouldn't say its outstanding.
guitaristemily
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the rtellies. The school is about to change from edexcel to Aqa for art. I did notice that both boards offer 'photography: lens and lights' as part of the art gcse. I think the school isn't geared up for it though. If anyone has done this 'lens and lights' option?

she has already asked her art teacher, who told her she could do mostly photograpghy but would have to do some drawing/painting.

She loves photography and (ok I'm biased) she seems pretty good. Art she isn't so keen on (though she seems quite good at the analysis stuff) and she isn't really brilliant at art. Can draw reasonably well, but I wouldn't say its outstanding.

i have done the ocr lens and light based course, as well as the fine art (actaully doing both exams in may/june time for them) havent done edxcel or aqa though. feel free to ak questions.
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

To be honest, a lot of the marks come from how you use your artists and how to analyse things as opposed to your actual drawing skills (although these are important too)
Tinkerstwo
Rep:
?
(Original post by guitaristemily)
i have done the ocr lens and light based course, as well as the fine art (actaully doing both exams in may/june time for them) havent done edxcel or aqa though. feel free to ak questions.

Thanks, I guess OCR sounds similar to Aqa.
How much work is involved with both. Is the lens and light option all photography? I guess since you are taking both, they are actually separate GCSES, in the same way as food tech and product design are both Design And technology GCSES.

Any other useful information you can offer will be gratefully recieved.
Tinkerstwo
Rep:
?
Y
(Original post by Gott)

btw, is your daughter on TSR? I'd find it a bit funny my mother being on TSR hehehe
No she isn't, she doesn't even do FB or whatever. I doubt she even knows what TSR is. I was googling for info and got here.
guitaristemily
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, I guess OCR sounds similar to Aqa.
How much work is involved with both. Is the lens and light option all photography? I guess since you are taking both, they are actually separate GCSES, in the same way as food tech and product design are both Design And technology GCSES.

Any other useful information you can offer will be gratefully recieved.

the lens and light opstion does invlove photography, but there is a lot of photoshop work in it also. In both subjects there is also a ton of coursework that is with 60% of the grade in each. the exam is woth 40%. at the each of each the exam and the coursework, you will have a ten hour exam to make a final peice. the exam is a topic of your choosing from a list, where as the coursework is a topic from your school.

In both, you will have to do artist research. you will also have to analise in the case of photography (you can do it in fine art also yet i find that in my case there is no point in doing do apart from a few notes - photoraphy you need to explain yourself more i find)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (177)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (192)
16.57%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.75%
Isolating with family (79)
6.82%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (44)
3.8%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.54%
Loneliness (113)
9.75%
Financial worries (51)
4.4%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (108)
9.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (84)
7.25%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.54%

Watched Threads