The Student Room Group

Why do people say MAT tests aptitude but STEP tests practice?

:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by CancerousProblem

Not a clue, having sat both I can say that I found MAT to be far less in depth, spending a few minutes on each question. Maybe they're trying to test intuition or something, but the questions are much briefer.
Whist practice will certainly make approaching STEP questions easier, I would still say that STEP is more of a challenge, and hence a test of aptitude than MAT.
Original post by joostan
Not a clue, having sat both I can say that I found MAT to be far less in depth, spending a few minutes on each question. Maybe they're trying to test intuition or something, but the questions are much briefer.
Whist practice will certainly make approaching STEP questions easier, I would still say that STEP is more of a challenge, and hence a test of aptitude than MAT.

Keep in mind that for MAT you have quite a strong time constraint, hence the briefness of the questions. (Question 1 takes longer than the other questions because it is multiple choice)
Reply 3
Keep in mind that for MAT you have quite a strong time constraint, hence the briefness of the questions. (Question 1 takes longer than the other questions because it is multiple choice)

The multiple choice section is not intended to take very long at all . . .

Who says this?
Original post by Mr M
Who says this?

Everyone

I was saying only the other day

And, I am sure I overheard someone in the queue at the grocers
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Who says this?

I heard a group of nuns talking in WH Smith and one of them was saying she could take STEP with one arm tied behind her back.
I can assure, a s**tload of people sitting STEP practise for months. Very few do well.
Reply 8
STEP I & MAT? Otherwise the comparison doesn't make any sense to me. Thinking about it, even that is not a fair comparison.
Original post by davros
I heard a group of nuns talking in WH Smith and one of them was saying she could take STEP with one arm tied behind her back.

This nuns thing is becoming a bit of a theme for you. Is there anything you feel you need to tell me?
Original post by davros

How exactly do you tie one arm behind your back?

:confused:
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M
This nuns thing is becoming a bit of a theme for you. Is there anything you feel you need to tell me?

I just find everything Tristram Hunt comes out with to be an utter embarrassment to be honest! He must be the only Shadow Education Secretary in history who's tried to make himself more unpopular than the incumbent Education Secretary.
To what extent can I prepare for MAT? Does doing STEP papers prepare me for MAT?
Original post by davros
I just find everything Tristram Hunt comes out with to be an utter embarrassment to be honest! He must be the only Shadow Education Secretary in history who's tried to make himself more unpopular than the incumbent Education Secretary.

He is particularly hopeless.
Original post by davros

I can, I write with one hand.
I'm pretty sure others have this skill aswell haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davros

I have met the man - he talks really well when he is talking about History - his subject - anything else = "sigh"
Oh, this is bull****, I know people who revised for ages and got 3's. Others who revised the same amount and got 1/s grades.
Mat does test aptitude to a certain point
STEP test everything, skills in exams, aptitude, mathematical skill, writing proofs all that good stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Step preps u for uni. Especially step 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest