Cambridge MPhil Development Studies

Watch
KHP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Has anyone applied for this course/received a reply?

I thought it would be a good idea to get a feel for everyone's backgrounds and get a sense of when they will hand out offers.

I study Accounting and Finance and received a 1st in both my first and second year of study. Sadly, I have have not written many essays throughout the course of my degree (I think maybe only 6000 words max) but the topics covered by the MPhil look super interesting.

I assume many people who apply will have studied politics/history/economics.
lp27
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KHP)

I thought it would be a good idea to get a feel for everyone's backgrounds and get a sense of when they will hand out offers.

I study Accounting and Finance and received a 1st in both my first and second year of study. Sadly, I have have not written many essays throughout the course of my degree (I think maybe only 6000 words max) but the topics covered by the MPhil look super interesting.

You might have better luck in the " Cambridge 2015 Postgraduate Entry" thread, where I have seen a few posts from people who have applied for the MPhil in Development Studies. Good luck!
Newcastle456
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Got an offer, doing PPE at Warwick, achieved 56.3% in year 1 (didn't count) and 69% in year 2 (counts for 50%). Worked/interned at two think tanks, one in UK and one in India. Doing a dissertation on India's energy security.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KHP
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Deep456)
Got an offer, doing PPE at Warwick, achieved 56.3% in year 1 (didn't count) and 69% in year 2 (counts for 50%). Worked/interned at two think tanks, one in UK and one in India. Doing a dissertation on India's energy security.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow, congratulations!

When did you apply and when did you hear back?

Out of curiosity, have you done a lot of modules on development? (Obviously your dissertation is related).
Newcastle456
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Last Friday I got my offer, I think November.

Yes a fair few, think PPE generally has prepared me well for all the IR/Economics/Political masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gridiron-Gangster
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KHP)

I studied in that department and under one of the admissions tutors for that course, that I didn't study that specific MPhil.

Whilst I can't comment on the exact requirements without knowing the content of your course this is taken from the website:

The MPhil in Development Studies is largely for students with a background in one or more of the social sciences, although many students have had previous degrees in disciplines ranging from the humanities to the natural sciences. The academic backgrounds of the current intake, for example, include American Studies, Anthropology, Biological Sciences, Business Economics, Business Management, Computer Science, Development Studies, Economics, Economics and Politics, Engineering, English, Finance, History, Information Studies, International Relations, Journalism, Operations Research, Philosophy, Political Science, Public Administration, Public and International Affairs, Quantitative Economics, Social Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish and German, and Urban and Regional Studies. The normal requirement for admission is the equivalent of at least a high 2.1 degree in the British university system (minimum CPGA 3.7 out of 4.0 in the US system). Account may also be taken of other relevant qualifications and experience.

I can't comment on the written work but if it's of a high standard then will help. You would need to communicate effectively in your statement why you want to study this course and how it will benefit you in the long term and perhaps propose a suitable research topic in line with the interests of the members of faculty. The latter will be particularly important given your somewhat unconventional background in applying for this course and I would recommend visiting the faculty website, reading about research interests and perhaps emailing to clarify your eligibility and chances of admission.
zxte160
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KHP)

Hey, when did you apply? I applied in January so I am guessing I'll have to wait until March atleast to hear back!
droto021
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Submitted my final supporting documentation. How long is the wait? MPhil in development studies
redrose27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I received my offer and college placement in January! I'm surprised that they're taking this long still
droto021
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just submitted my final supporting document. Last minute application. How long is the wait?
elenahoyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any current students or alumni of Mphil Development Studies (Cambridge) here who could share some insights on what the programme is like? I have an offer but I'm wanting to hear more about what its like before making my decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (39)
28.89%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.89%
No I am happy with my choice (74)
54.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.41%

Watched Threads