The Student Room Group

Help me pick my GCSE's.

I need to have my GCSE's picked by tomorrow, I am 14 years old and im in year 9. We are having our interviews tomorrow and Tuesday so i need your help and fast! So i want to become a vet and i dont know what to choose, for my first option i have put Triple Science because i am positive that would help me to become a vet then for my next option i have chosen P.E because i like doing P.E and then i dont know what to pick for my last option, i am stuck between Geography and German so if you guys could help i would be so thankful and greatful.
Someone please reply, i need your help now!!!
Triple science is a must if you'd like to be a vet as you will need science A levels and you need triple science to be able to do these. I'm assuming you are also doing maths and English as they are essential? Personally, I'm not sure if P.E is a good idea because it's not a very academic subject and completely irrelevant to your career choice. I'd say go for Geography and German and drop the P.E but if you don't want to do that then either of these is a good choice so choose the one you find easiest and have the best grades in.
Reply 3
Original post by lollipops1246
Someone please reply, i need your help now!!!

Hi so im sure with triple science you get chosen to do it as only a certain number of people can do it. To be honest you shouldn't be so focused on picking subjects around your career because a lot of peoples minds change over the years as they learn about different subjects and get interested in different things. Im in yr 11 and i do triple science, geography, business studies and French. Im sure you get 4 options. When wanting to head towards a career they usually focus on certain A levels and just say for example 5 A*- C including maths and english. I want to go into medicine and other than triple science non of my other subjects are linked to it. However for my A levels im picking biology, chemistry, maths and economics and they are a good link as biology chemistry and maths keep all medical schools open.
So what i would say is do what you like because the 3 important ones which are maths english and science and all compulsory, you dont have to do triple science to do science at A level, you need A and B in it at GCSE.
So basically pick what ever subjects you will enjoy and you find easy.
Original post by Aty100

So what i would say is do what you like because the 3 important ones which are maths english and science and all compulsory, you dont have to do triple science to do science at A level, you need A and B in it at GCSE.
So basically pick what ever subjects you will enjoy and you find easy.

I think your post is based on the requirements at your particular school. So to the OP, look at the requirements for the colleges you would like to go to and think about which A levels you might want to do. At my school we had to have A* in each subject we wanted to study at A level for example.
Reply 5
Also it is good to have a language, for instance they say if you and a friend have same GCSE but she does p.e and you do german and you both have the same grades for everything you are more likely to get the place because you have a language. I also dont know what P.E will do for you. Do geog and german and triple science. P.E is playing sports at the end of the day so you can do that outside of school and join clubs if you enjoy it.
Geography.
Reply 7
Original post by Kayleighw27
I think your post is based on the requirements at your particular school. So to the OP, look at the requirements for the colleges you would like to go to and think about which A levels you might want to do. At my school we had to have A* in each subject we wanted to study at A level for example.

Oh wow. Ive never heard of that. For every sixth firm and collage ive checked they always have for example to study maths or chem at A level you need A in them at GCSE but for biology you can do it by getting a B.
So what if people dont get A* in anything and get A or B they cant do A level?
Original post by Aty100
Oh wow. Ive never heard of that. For every sixth firm and collage ive checked they always have for example to study maths or chem at A level you need A in them at GCSE but for biology you can do it by getting a B.
So what if people dont get A* in anything and get A or B they cant do A level?

Well it completely depends on the college because each place can choose their own entry requirements. I'm sure there are colleges out there where you only need B or C for example. I went to a private school so it was fairly selective. I suppose if someone didn't get any A*s they wouldn't be able to do A levels at my particular school but I'm sure they would be able to study for them somewhere else. But one thing I did notice is that many places ask for triple science to do any science at A level, so it's a good choice for the OP, especially if they are considering being a vet. And it keeps your options open for basically any career.
Reply 9
I think you should pick triple science if you have been chosen for it because it will help you at A level. Usually entry for veterinary degree is usually with at least five GCSEs/S grades A*- C including maths and english and three A levels, including chemistry, plus two subjects from biology, maths or physics. Full entry requirements can be obtained from veterinary school admissions staff at individual universities. I think for A level it would be best to do Biology Chemistry and Maths so for your GCSE do triple science if you can and pick whatever else you want but geography and German would be better than P.E
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you all, the GCSEs have changed now so you can only pick three btw but I will take all of your advice into consideration, thankyou all, you've all been very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest