The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mine are in December...
Good luck with them everyone!

I've resat the English GCSE this week with the year 11's from our school and thought it was easier than last year!

And a piece of advice for everyone..don't worry too much about the exams they really aren't as bad as they seem!

My results were okish for some subjects and not so good for others, this is purely down to the fact that coursework was very little, lol!

I got:
Applied Sciene: 2 B's
English Literature: C
Art: C
Maths: D - resitting in May/June with the year 11's
English Language D: - did the resit this week with some year 11's
German: D
Food Tech: D
Geography: E
ICT: E - because something went bust with the school computers so all my coursework got wiped off like a few weeks before coursework had to be handed in! :frown:
We have 2 weeks of mocks (well, 8 days as we don't have the mondays of the weeks) as soon as we go back after the Christmas holidays.
Reply 4
i have it in a week... not revised yet.... yikessss
Good luck everyone. Mine were in January....prolonged it a bit but atleast I had the three-week Christmas Holiday to revise in :smile:
Reply 6
I'll join in and say Good Luck whenever your exams are, also remember they are an indication to see how your prograssing . As I just got a C but in the end got an A so it just goes to show it is flawed. Good Luck!
Reply 7
Mine start on the 27th November :eek:
Reply 8
Good luck to everyone. I'm so glad i'm not revising over Christmas although those that have it in january are lucky in a sense because they learn more of what's in the exam.
I have mine on the 22nd Nov, any1 got any good tips on how to revise without getting stressed?!
Brown Eyes Angel
I have mine on the 22nd Nov, any1 got any good tips on how to revise without getting stressed?!

Don't try to do too much. They're only mocks, so although they're important in a sense because they'll give you formal exam practice and an indication of what grades you should be aiming for, they're used more to highlight your strengths and weaknesses than for assessment. Limit yourself to perhaps 2 hours a night. Focus on your weakest subjects, but don't neglect your strongest ones completely. Do the same with topics or areas within each subject. Give yourself some variety by mixing up the subjects/topics and maybe doing half that you enjoy/find easy and half that you don't. Take regular breaks.
Reply 11
Mine are the last 2 weeks of December - just before we break up. I hate mocks.
Mine start on Monday for 2 weeks. Sounds like fun! Does everyone here have study leave for mocks? Our school used to do it but I don't think it does now.
We only had study leave for the real things. And even then, it was only for the two weeks in June when the bulk of the exams took place.
when is the real thing? i though GCSE has paassed
I had my mocks from the beginning of December, which lasted two weeks, and then I had the rest of the month off. I was a bit annoyed at the time because I didn't have the Christmas holidays to revise, but in hindsight it was better because I had the holidays free! :biggrin: So all of you people who have it early, just be glad that you have it over and done with.

And please, don't worry too much about your mocks! I did, like with everything else, and it really wasn't worth it in the end. The grades I got in the mocks were fairly representative of the actual GCSEs I had got, but if I had done worse it would have made zero difference. Teachers say they will formulate predicted grades from them, but predicted grades really mean nothing at GCSE level (unless you're applying for another college I suppose, but even then it doesn't all have to be straight A*/As!). However, if, for some of your subjects, your mocks count towards your final grade (e.g. one component of my Music GCSE mock consisted of a performance that will be used in the final grade), then work towards that the most.

Good luck! If you need any help I'm always here. :smile:
mine are at the end of november- omg they are soooooooooon. better get studying!!!
Reply 17
Mine are a week tomorrow.. :afraid: Good luck everyone though! :smile:
Mine start 26th I think. Regarding study leave, our school doesn't even do it for the real GCSEs. Is this against any kind of rule? I really would love to see our headteacher get the sack.
Reply 19
RobJonesxx
Mine start 26th I think. Regarding study leave, our school doesn't even do it for the real GCSEs. Is this against any kind of rule? I really would love to see our headteacher get the sack.

Our school has never given study leave at the mocks, and have now reduced study leave before the real thing to about 1 week :frown: It's not a rule, it's completely up to the school :p:

Latest