Lucia001
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was just wondering what the difference between geography and geology is?

More so, which one is harder?

Right now I'm doing GCSE Geography, and speaking to my teacher at parents evening he felt comfortable that I could achieve an A.

Ultimately i I want to study medicine at university so I am taking biology and chemistry also, however I have been having second thoughts recently in favour of going into a career that will allow me to travel. So I was wondering whether geography or geology would be more suited to this?

Moreover i am thinking about also doing sociology, English lit, or French A level - of which I would drop one of these subjects after first year. Which of these subjects do you think would be most suitable?

Thanks a lot for reading all if this, haha.
Any suggestions would ultimately be helpful and I have various sixth form interviews coming up.

Thanks again x
izzyll
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
At my sixth form they only do geography A-level, which I study, and don't do geology. But... I think that geology is more science-based, there won't be as much of a human element, which there is in geography.

I went to a university open day and to take geology you had to have taken at least one of the science subjects, preferably biology, so this may be the case in many universities. I think that geology is more science-y, whereas geography focuses on both human and physical elements. :-)
JD7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well first of all, Geology is the basically the study of rocks. Do you fancy studying all the different types of rocks and soil, earth, and their processes and changes and the effects these have caused on the world? It can definitely be interesting but it does have to be your cup of tea if you want to study it imo...

I'm unsure which will help you travel more as Geography is rather broad and will depend a lot on what sort of job you get out of it. Geography is a great "in-between" subject between the humanities and science as you learn a bit of both and it does keep your options open. I suppose with Geology you would have to take frequent trips "outside" to actually get out and study the rocks.

(Also as a side note: who says you can't travel if you study Medicine? If I had the brains and the will to study medicine I would definitely join up to an organisation like Médecins Sans Frontièrs (Doctors Without Borders) and actually help make a difference for countries and people in need, rather than just "volunteer" somewhere for a few months in the summer then leave which has actually shown to do more harm than good).
Klmalone
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

I take both Geography and Geology.

I would definitely say Geology is more science based as it is an earth science, and Geography is a humanity!

I enjoy Geology much more than geography because Unit 1 is all about volcanoes earth quakes ( earth hazards) you name it!
Katy 1253
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I did geography and am currently taking geology. There is an element of Erosion, the rock cycle and sedimentary processes in both subjects however, Geology looks into more detailed, scientific explanations. If you love things about rocks, volcanoes, fossils and planetary geology (including the Earth) then this is the subject for you. Geography focuses on the whole world, geological processes, landforms, population, healthcare, famine etc. and so there is quite a large element of humanitarian studies in there. I personally preferred geography as I am interested in geology but find that with the amount of detail included, the lessons become rather laborious.
Liberty13
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
hey i want to have a career in climate change and conservation of biodiversity and am struggling to pick my a levels. I am definately going to take geography and biology but i don't know what to take as my third option. I'm thinking of taking geology but i'm worried i wouldn't find it interesting. Do you have any advice on what i should take?
wnbrn
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Liberty13)
hey i want to have a career in climate change and conservation of biodiversity and am struggling to pick my a levels. I am definately going to take geography and biology but i don't know what to take as my third option. I'm thinking of taking geology but i'm worried i wouldn't find it interesting. Do you have any advice on what i should take?
I’ve been doing A level geology for a month or two now and in my opinion it’s really hard to enjoy. To start of with you will learn about the different types of rocks; sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic. This means how they are formed, what processes are around them and the landforms they create. At the start you will also learn about minerals and how to identify them. It’s up to you if you like the look of it or not. I believe there is a civil engineering side of the course which means you will learn about a few case studies of certain projects.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Liberty13)
It depends what kind of angle you want to take - "climate change" is an incredibly broad topic, and you can get into a career in climate from most backgrounds. If you want to get involved in the actual climate science, Maths, Physics and Chemistry would be the best A Levels you could take. I didn't take Geology at A Level but I did study it at university so I think it's an excellent subject, but I think as far as A Levels are concerned, the traditional sciences are higher priority.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (119)
33.9%
Yes - a trusted person (95)
27.07%
No (93)
26.5%
I'm not sure (44)
12.54%

Watched Threads