Is it too early to make my firm choice?

Watch
Olaedo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have applied to study BSc Psychology at Lancaster, UEA, Liverpool, Hull and Northumbria and I have received conditional offers from all five of them.
These are my offers (highest first):
Lancaster = AAB, UEA = ABB, Liverpool = ABB, Hull = 300 points from 3 A Levels and Northumbria = 320 points from AS and A Levels, including at least BB from 2 A Levels. I am predicted AAB.

I have visited Northumbria and UEA; I like both but prefer Northumbria much more. I really like the city atmosphere and the accommodation is great. Northumbria also allow me to study French alongside my degree for 2 years, which the other universities don't offer.

My dilemma is whether to make Northumbria my firm and only choice (because I liked it so much) or whether to still consider Lancaster, Liverpool and Hull.

I'm in a dilemma because I really like Northumbria, which I can get into with just BBCc but I'm predicted AAB. I feel like I should choose a university with a higher entry requirement so that it will push me to achieve those higher grades which I am capable of.

What should I do? Should I wait to make a decision until I've seen the other universities? Is it sensible to choose a university with a higher entry requirement as my firm choice even if I like my insurance more?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olaedo)
I have applied to study BSc Psychology at Lancaster, UEA, Liverpool, Hull and Northumbria and I have received conditional offers from all five of them.
Lancaster = AAB, UEA = ABB, Liverpool = ABB, Hull = 300 points from 3 A Levels and Northumbria = 320 points from AS and A Levels, including at least BB from 2 A Levels. I am predicted AAB.

I have visited Northumbria and UEA; I like both but prefer Northumbria much more. I really like the city atmosphere and the accommodation is great. Northumbria also allow me to study French alongside my degree for 2 years, which the other universities don't offer.

My dilemma is whether to make Northumbria my firm and only choice (because I liked it so much) or whether to still consider Lancaster, Liverpool and Hull.

I'm in a dilemma because I really like Northumbria, which I can get into with just BBCc but I'm predicted AAB. I feel like I should choose a university with a higher entry requirement so that it will push me to achieve those higher grades which I am capable of.

What should I do? Should I wait to make a decision until I've seen the other universities? Is it sensible to choose a university with a higher entry requirement as my firm choice even if I like my insurance more?
Definitely wait until you have seen the others.

You lose nothing by having a higher offer for your insurance.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olaedo)

Well I'd say location is much more important than entry grades if your not happy you'll drop out or fail (believe I've been there) go for Northumbria if you love it but do wait you never know you might like the others more But if you don't you already have a idea of where you'd like to go
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Olaedo;53500555]I have applied to study BSc Psychology at Lancaster, UEA, Liverpool, Hull and Northumbria and I have received conditional offers from all five of them.

What should I do? Should I wait to make a decision until I've seen the other universities? Is it sensible to choose a university with a higher entry requirement as my firm choice even if I like my insurance more?[/QUOTE

do nothing yet await all your offers visit unis then decide based on where you are most comfortable and course content. as you have been predicted aab it is reasonable to expect you will achieve those. do not make a decision based on an unconditional offer. only you can decide the right uni for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads