The Student Room Group

Street harassment because you are 'ugly'-it hurts and needs to stop.

Okay so we hear about girls being cat-called all the time with men shouting something along the lines of 'oi sexy' and so on whilst they are coming back from bars and clubs or wherever else they maybe, it's awful I'm sure, but I honestly cannot see it being as soul destroying as someone shouting abuse at you because you are ugly or unattractive.

Not everyone is attractive, so what? but it's far worse when a stranger thinks it's okay to beep at you and remind you that your one ugly human. I just think us not so attractive people get our say and our experiences of street harassment, yes woman do experience it and I am sure it makes them comfortable but in a sense it's just a reminder that in one way or another they are desirable, it's different when you get shouted at for being ugly. It really messes with you head.

Any views/opinions or experiences on this?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so we hear about girls being cat-called all the time with men shouting something along the lines of 'oi sexy' and so on whilst they are coming back from bars and clubs or wherever else they maybe, it's awful I'm sure, but I honestly cannot see it being as soul destroying as someone shouting abuse at you because you are ugly or unattractive.

Not everyone is attractive, so what? but it's far worse when a stranger thinks it's okay to beep at you and remind you that your one ugly human. I just think us not so attractive people get our say and our experiences of street harassment, yes woman do experience it and I am sure it makes them comfortable but in a sense it's just a reminder that in one way or another they are desirable, it's different when you get shouted at for being ugly. It really messes with you head.

Any views/opinions or experiences on this?

Yeah definitely agree with this. It's always the same kind of person who thinks that everybody gives a **** what they think too. People who feel the need to loudly judge everyone they see. I really, really, detest this kind of person, but...

I'm going to be brutally honest here, I have done this to people before. When I was like 15 or so and was generally a pretty unpleasant guy, I used to walk around school with my friends and just insult people who were by themselves, aggressively pointing out any fault they had.

Looking back, it's hard exactly to pinpoint why. I was definitely insecure myself. I also wanted to be accepted by the people I was hanging around with, and they were pretty nasty themselves and found it funny. I kind of turned off my empathy and didn't think about how it made these people feel. Needless to say I feel terrible about this now, and I'm not friends with these people any more...

Apologies for making this anon, I really don't want people to think that the current me is anything like this.
Thread moved to society
Feminists and some women like to play the victim. Street harassment isn't nearly as common place as they try to make everyone believe, plus many of the things they consider harassment are no such thing.

As men we face a much greater risk of verbal and physical abuse on the streets.
I'm sorry for your being treated so poorly, but I don't believe this form of street harassment is endemic in the way that cat-calling is, which involves a potential threat of sexual violence. So think of this as some idiot being an idiot rather than society as a whole being ****ed up, and if it persists by al emans report them for harrassment. :smile:
"Bullying" is a natural self defence mechanism, designed to make people conform to a certain look/standard/belief, when their own world view is challenged, and needs to be defended.

http://brainblogger.com/2013/02/01/bullying-a-rational-choice/

What are the benefits of bullying?

Bullying is a method of maintaining dominance within a social group, and through this dominance, gaining access to material and social resources whether by overt threat (such as the promise of physical retribution if one does not do what the bully wants) or via influence (for example, gossip or social exclusion). Bullies who bully by the use or threat of physical violence gain a reputation for strength. This decreases the likelihood that the bully will become a victim of aggression. Teenage boys who are believed to be tough are less likely to become victims. Through bullying, an individual can gain allies who will come to his or her aid in future conflicts, thus reducing the risk of engaging in, or instigating, such conflicts.

However, I disagree with cat calling or insulting people who are different.
Reply 6
having gone frombeing called ugly in the stree to being catcalled at (thanks puberty) i definetly agree. Catcalling isn't nice, it makes you self conscious and scared for your personal safety when alone, but being shouted insults at is ssomething you remember forever and leads to self hate. Thank god it's only ever usually done by young teenage boys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending