The Student Room Group

Biochemistry where do i start?

I am really interested in Biochemistry and wish to study this topic but my college has no chemistry
or biology courses (i have no GCSES but rather functional skills and a BCS - so would prefer a vocational course) where can i go from here?
thanks
Reply 1
There is next to no chance of you pursuing biochemistry without a level 3 qualification in chemistry directly [see below the slightly less direct way]. Biology is less of an issue, if you can take do other sciences.

You may struggle if you do not have maths and English GCSE grades. I would possibly look into trying to get a basic level 2 maths/English qualification as it will hinder you in both further education opportunities and the work place.

Is there anything like BTEC Applied Science on offer near you? I don't know the exact details of this, but I think it's usually equivalent to two A-levels, and covers grounding in chemistry, biology, and physics. Before you sign up to anything though i'd contact potential universities and see whether whatever you choose is acceptable.

I would do my best to investigate other colleges that you could attend. I partly worry biochemistry will be a bit daunting and not fit very well if you end up trying to get in through a vocational-type route. The university courses will be very theoretical, and probably have a large exam-based assessment scheme.

What's BCS? IT-related qualification? What level? There's a possible view to doing what you can now (irrelevant to biochemistry) and going through a foundation year, to bring you up to speed to the required scientific level, something like this - this will take you an extra year, but it does circumvent the problem you have that chemistry isn't available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending