niall2308
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I did french in junior school for three years before dropping it for GCSE as I didn't like the teachers. I recently realised my love for the language and would love to pick it up for A-Level next year! Does anyone know any stories of doing A-Level French without GCSE? Is it possible?

Take into account that:
-im doing a level spanish as well, and currently working at an A* in spanish
-I have all my french notes from junior school
-I will get a french tutor over summer and all through a level
-I'm a natural linguist
-I would put 110% effort Into french
-I have all summer to try and catch up

So, does anyone think it's possible? Any advice?
physicsamor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Realistically, it would be a risk, because you didn't French study through your GCSE's so it might be slightly harder to pick up. A-Level french is difficult because it requires mainly on your ability to pick up grammar rules and sentence structuring.

However judging by what you mentioned, you most certainly seem to have the ability to do French and if you are so passionate about it, go for it!
Confidence is the key to success in A-Levels (and hard work)

What other A-Levels are you taking?
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think, if you're willing to get up to GCSE standard by the time you begin your A Levels then it would be entirely possible. That being said, it wouldn't be easy. I'm currently doing AS French with an A* at GCSE and it has been, for me, the biggest and most difficult jump out of all of my subjects (and I'm doing three sciences). A lot of AS French is assuming that your basic knowledge of French, particularly grammar, is already solid. Comprehension standard also has to be very high, very quickly.

On the bright side, you are already doing a modern language GCSE so you will be able to grasp exam technique fairly easily. If you get a tutor and are willing to work hard, you should manage it. Best of luck
Lunaray
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My friend in year 13 is doing AS french without GCSE, and I think he's also doing the A2 in the same year, so yes I think it is possible if you are willing to work hard enough and are a natural
niall2308
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by hysterialoretta)
Realistically, it would be a risk, because you didn't French study through your GCSE's so it might be slightly harder to pick up. A-Level french is difficult because it requires mainly on your ability to pick up grammar rules and sentence structuring.

However judging by what you mentioned, you most certainly seem to have the ability to do French and if you are so passionate about it, go for it!
Confidence is the key to success in A-Levels (and hard work)

What other A-Levels are you taking?
Thanks! I'm thinking maths spanish french and sociology, have to have our choices in by thursday!!
physicsamor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by niall2308)
Thanks! I'm thinking maths spanish french and sociology, have to have our choices in by thursday!!
Doing two languages is awesome, my cousin did french and spanish too and she came it out with good results
(That's how I know alot)

Doing maths and two languages is gonna be hard unless you do all the work and practise

I had to give my choices in in January but I am still allowed to change them. Hopefully I will do Maths, Physics, Business Studies and Spanish

Doing maths is my risk.

How are your grades like in the subjects?

(BTW SOCIOLOGY IS AWESOME)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
21.43%
No (33)
78.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise