The Student Room Group

Most Underrated Dog Breed

I'd go with Newfoundlands, Russian Blacks, Australian Terriers.
What do you think is the most underrated dog breed?

Scroll to see replies

Newfoundlands,St Bernards and Samoyeds. I grew up with Samoyeds when I was a toddler and I loved them to pieces. They were like walking cotton balls who loved licking people :3

Newfoundlands and St Bernards are insanely cute and they are simply amazing in terms of temperament
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Irish red setters, Dalmatians and papillons.
Reply 3
Samoyed and Malamutes

EDIT: pictures needed

Samoyed

Spoiler

Malamute

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Very biased, but at the moment German Shepherds. I was a bit scared of them, but we've had one for 18 months now and he is one of the most loveable, friendly dogs I've known. But many people see a big German Shepherd and avoid him/put their dogs on the lead.

He acts like he hasn't seen you for weeks after a few hours away :emog:
Original post by SiminaM
Samoyed and Malamutes

You get me! :smile:
Greyhounds maybe. Skinny as ****, so docile and lazy. I'm not a massive dog person, but if I owned one I'd get one of these from a shelter that had formerly been a racing dog and has now been dumped.

Reply 7
I think that the Greyhound and the Saluki are way too underrated and they're so lovable, it's hard to understand why anyone would get rid of them... :frown:
Also, the Clumber Spaniel. While the Cocker spaniel is very popular, the Clumber Spaniel I think is very underrated and hardly spoken or heard of, even though it's incredibly cute! :3
Reply 8
I'd also say Greyhounds (apparently people are put off by their appearance?) because they're adorable.

Also not sure if they're counted as 'underrated', but border collies are my faves.
Reply 9
I have an Australian Kelpie & a Whippet. Both fairly underrated I feel.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Greyhounds maybe. Skinny as ****, so docile and lazy. I'm not a massive dog person, but if I owned one I'd get one of these from a shelter that had formerly been a racing dog and has now been dumped.

Good shout. Too many people think that they need LOADS of exercise when really it's almost the opposite.

Original post by Truered
Very biased, but at the moment German Shepherds. I was a bit scared of them, but we've had one for 18 months now and he is one of the most loveable, friendly dogs I've known. But many people see a big German Shepherd and avoid him/put their dogs on the lead.

To whoever said German Shepherds, I get what you're saying about people not understanding them but I wouldn't say they're "underrated" (which is a difficult thing to define for a dog anyway) - GSDs are super popular and very common pets.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by k3ro
I'd also say Greyhounds (apparently people are put off by their appearance?) because they're adorable.

Also not sure if they're counted as 'underrated', but border collies are my faves.

Only ever heard people say they are ugly and look malnourished. Unless they are already fans of them like me or you. I think they look elegant. Short fur as well so won't stink your house out.

Agree e ai rapaz. The 100mph couch potatoes :cool:
Original post by Slyveon
Also, the Clumber Spaniel. While the Cocker spaniel is very popular, the Clumber Spaniel I think is very underrated and hardly spoken or heard of, even though it's incredibly cute! :3

Clumber spaniel master race checking in.

I don't like the ones bred for showing, but the working ones are beautiful dogs. Very friendly to people as well.

Most people probably haven't heard of them. Aside from a demonstration at the CLA game fair a few years ago, I have only seen one other clumber.
Original post by k3ro

It's so sad that not that many people like Greyhounds they are so lovable!
Reply 14
The Welsh springer spaniel.
Is always red and white in appearance, only a few breeders about these days. They are lovely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
St. Bernards! They are huge, cute, drooly dogs, massively underrated! Granted they grow into the size of a cow, but still...

*melts*
Doge.
Reply 17
Original post by Truered

I was terrified of my GSD when my Mum's ex brought her to the house at 8 weeks. I took her shortly afterwards as he wasn't caring for her and she is my world. 9 years on she is still as soft as a brush, enjoys watching TV and refusing to move off the sofa. You just have to ignore those people because what you'll get in return in love is irreplaceable. Never known such a big personality... they like answering back too you'll find out! Velcro dogs!

my friend has a Black Russian x and he is magnificent.
Irish setters :love:

IrishSetterBama10MonthsOld1.jpg
Weimaraners :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest