The Student Room Group

Help with Internal Resistance

In this video:

[If the embedded link doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jZP5OQ-NQ]

I'm wondering why he does (V1 - V2) / V2 x by the Resistance of the Resistor...

I'm only familiar with the equation of:

V_external = EMF - (Amps X Internal Reistance)

Any help? I need to know this and be familiar with it for my next coursework :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Fangedbeast
In this video:

[If the embedded link doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jZP5OQ-NQ]

Any help? I need to know this and be familiar with it for my next coursework :smile:

Thanks

Hello and welcome to TSR physics study help. :smile:

At what time in the video does this equation arise? I don't really want to look through the whole thing to find it!

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Hello and welcome to TSR physics study help. :smile:

At what time in the video does this equation arise? I don't really want to look through the whole thing to find it!

Thanks.

It's about 3 minutes in, V1 is voltage across the battery with no load attached, V2 has a resistance attached (they used a 100Ohm resistor, that shouldn't make a difference).

I'm having trouble seeing why that equation's correct as well. We measured internal resistance with a different method when we did it in class.
Original post by Fangedbeast

Thanks

Original post by lerjj
It's about 3 minutes in, V1 is voltage across the battery with no load attached, V2 has a resistance attached (they used a 100Ohm resistor, that shouldn't make a difference).

I'm having trouble seeing why that equation's correct as well. We measured internal resistance with a different method when we did it in class.

V1V_1 is the open circuit battery voltage and since the ohm meter has an extremely high input resistance (>>1x106 ohms), virtually no voltage (<<1uV) will be dropped across the battery internal resistance when the meter takes an open circuit voltage measurement. The open circuit voltage can therefore be assumed equal to the battery E.M.F. to 6 d.p or more.

V2V_2 is the p.d. developed across the 100 ohm load.

From Kirchoff's voltage rule, the p.d. developed across the battery internal resistance (100 ohms load attached) is then

Vint=VemfVloadV_{int} = V_{emf} - V_{load}

i.e.

Vint=V1V2V_{int} = V_1 - V_2.

Because the current in the load resistance must also flow through the battery internal resistance (series current path), we can say:

Iint=IloadI_{int} = I_{load}

VintRint=V2Rload\frac{V_{int}}{R_{int}} = \frac{V_2}{R_{load}}

Substituting for VintV_{int}

V1V2Rint=V2Rload\frac{V_1 - V_2}{R_{int}} = \frac{V_2}{R_{load}}

then make RintR_{int} the subject.

V1V2V2 x Rload=Rint\frac{V_1 - V_2}{V_2} \ \mathrm {x \ }R_{load} = R_{int}

QED. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik
V1V_1 is the open circuit battery voltage and since the ohm meter has an extremely high input resistance (>>1x106 ohms), virtually no voltage (<<1uV) will be dropped across the battery internal resistance when the meter takes an open circuit voltage measurement. The open circuit voltage can therefore be assumed equal to the battery E.M.F. to 6 d.p or more.

:smile:

How the hell did I not realise this? Everything else makes perfect sense now.
Original post by lerjj
How the hell did I not realise this? Everything else makes perfect sense now.
The thing with much of electronics is knowing how a measurement instrument works together with it's benefits and most importantly, it's limitations.

Students tend to pick up an instrument and assume the measurement is accurate to however many decimal places there are in the display, without understanding the implications of the accompanying equipment specifications.

Quick Reply

Latest