This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
was it me or was chem 6 a disaster? i mean some parts were ok but near the end i started tallying possible marks and i think the max was like a 40%!!!
do you think they'll lower the boundary for an A??

what do you guys think!!!!! hope im not alone in this!!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is this edexcel chem 6?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i thought that was ok!! it could have been a hell of a lot harder, thats for sure!! If it is edexcel, what questions did you do?? Everyone had to do 1, but i also did 2 and 4. I messed up that Kc question and then got -166 KJ mol^-1 but others got +166... damn!!! apart from that, it was all ok... how did you all find it?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I thought it was fairly challeging, dont worry too much about the exam, hopefully ure c/w can push the mark up. Its only 60UM
What did every one get for the 1st question? no of moles in X= 0.4081? concentration=4.081moldm-3?

I'll cry if i got that wrong
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I thought it was the easiest Chem 6 Synoptic Paper ever! Edexcel that is. Very generous, in my opinion, as it wasn't too demanding at all, much like the Chem 5 paper this year. January 2003's paper would be the "disaster" one, we were given that for the mock, and I was so stressed out for that paper. But this one's quite a walkover, I think.

Question 1 was pretty good, titration curves and simple mole, concentration calculations and a common chemical test.

I did Questions 2 and 4 from Section B. A lot of the stuff tested was from Unit 1 and 2 which was straightforward really. Shapes, Industrial Processes, Hess's Law, Bond Strengths and Halogens, all AS stuff basically. They mixed in a bit of Unit 4, calculations in particular (which was good since they have absolute answers, with absolute marks), Kc and Ka.

I got something like 4.08 mol dm^-3 for concentration of ammonia, 5.55 x 10^-4 mol dm^-3 for Ka, 1.00 for Kc, +166 kJ mol^-1 for the enthalpy of reaction.

Seriously, I don't think they could have been more lenient on the difficulty of the paper. They left out a lot of A2 topics enthalpy of solution, lead-acid battery chemistry, iron rusting, extraction of chlorine, boiling-point/composition graphs, pharmaceutical chemistry and many other nasty areas they could've put in (they had a lot of that stuff in past papers).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It was the easiest chemistry module 6 exam with edexcel ever.
Question 1 was a bit nasty, but manageable.
Question 2 was Ok....but i forgot the bond angles!
Question 3 was very easy indeed, except that 5 mark question about % yield

Exams are all over. FINISHED!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
got -166 KJ mol^-1 but others got +166... damn!!!

LOL

same

put 166 first then CROSSED it out
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Vin
I thought it was the easiest Chem 6 Synoptic Paper ever! Edexcel that is. Very generous, in my opinion, as it wasn't too demanding at all, much like the Chem 5 paper this year. January 2003's paper would be the "disaster" one, we were given that for the mock, and I was so stressed out for that paper. But this one's quite a walkover, I think.

Question 1 was pretty good, titration curves and simple mole, concentration calculations and a common chemical test.

I did Questions 2 and 4 from Section B. A lot of the stuff tested was from Unit 1 and 2 which was straightforward really. Shapes, Industrial Processes, Hess's Law, Bond Strengths and Halogens, all AS stuff basically. They mixed in a bit of Unit 4, calculations in particular (which was good since they have absolute answers, with absolute marks), Kc and Ka.

I got something like 4.08 mol dm^-3 for concentration of ammonia, 5.55 x 10^-4 mol dm^-3 for Ka, 1.00 for Kc, +166 kJ mol^-1 for the enthalpy of reaction.

Seriously, I don't think they could have been more lenient on the difficulty of the paper. They left out a lot of A2 topics enthalpy of solution, lead-acid battery chemistry, iron rusting, extraction of chlorine, boiling-point/composition graphs, pharmaceutical chemistry and many other nasty areas they could've put in (they had a lot of that stuff in past papers).
oh hush ya crappy lil mout
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
oh hush ya crappy lil mout
Huh, you blind? Can't you see the person who made the next post to mine also feels the same way? I did say it was my opinion didn't I?
Forders
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did ne1 do aqa?

it was hard

xxx
Falguni
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
quote: I thought it was fairly challeging, dont worry too much about the exam, hopefully ure c/w can push the mark up. Its only 60UM
What did every one get for the 1st question? no of moles in X= 0.4081? concentration=4.081moldm-3?

great - i thought i had messed up those calculations but i think i got the same thing. that means we both must have got it right

the paper was better that the ones ive seen i just forgot that the indicator was methyl orange (wrote it first but changed it later) and how to test for ammonia

also, i really messed up the kc value q in q4. but i might get method marks
La_la_la
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm sane enough to not do Chemistry!!! However I know all my friends who do chemistry found the papers today really really hard so try not to stress too much!! Have u finished now? I have but can't stop thinkin about the stupid exams. I've finally finished but now I'm not worrying about revision etc I'm worrying about having messed them all up!!! It's silly isn't it? Ahhh!
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah, it was a total disaster. i went into the exam hall without touching a single book. i left most of my answer book empty. didnt do any of the essay questions. I think i got 10%
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I did AQA Chem 5 and 6 today.

Chem 6 was easyifh (multi-choice)

Chem 5 was VERY hard, missed a lot out, and ran out of time, anyone else do it?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
anyone out there that can post up questions and answers for edexcel Chem 6B pls?? thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
anyone out there that can post up questions and answers for edexcel Chem 6B pls?? thanks
Go here: http://www.uk-learning.net/t8634/1.html
Forders
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
chem 5 sect B was hard but i thought multiple guess was hard too, no time no time!! ive faild it
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
chem 6 (AQA) was the easiest one I've seen - plus there's no mark shifting on that one (it's just a simple multiply your mark by 1.5 job). Mod 5 was horrible (section B) - I couldn't do the last question. NO REDOX POTENTIALS - WHAT ARE THEY PLAYING AT!?!?! It was just an excuse to have another module 2 paper!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
---

(my letter numbering may be off but you get the idea)

1a) 4.081 x 10-3 (for the concentration of solution X)
b) blah blah equivalence point at 37.1 cm3. Also remember that ph change over ranges of lower pH since weak base
c) its a CHEMICAL TEST. I tried reaction with HCL gas to give white ring of NH4CL in a dry tube. Not sure though.

2)a. PF5
b) trigonal bypyramidal. bond angle above and below was 90 degrees. not sure about that within the plane.
c)octahedral shape for PF6-. Bond angles of 90 degrees throughout.
d) hydrogen bonding causes higher bp of HF.
e) 5.55 x 10-4 (something like this for the value of Ka)

3)a. NO IDEA about common reagent but different conditions; step 1 was anhydrous ALCL3 while step 2 was alkaline HCN.
b) nucleophilic addition across carbonyl group to form hydroxynitrile.
c) 12.5% was the yield.
d) urea is soluble cause of the short chain length and polarity in the molecule.
e) disadvantages of NH4SO4 are very soluble so causes eutrophication. also relatively more expensive.

4) DONT ask. :P

( i know exams are done but i mean just cant help thinking about the screw ups!! give it a week and i'll manage to drink myself out of this stooper! take it easy!)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.14%
No (575)
65.86%

Watched Threads