How can I get an A in History at A2? (Edexcel)

Watch
tessimoghaddam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, in my AS History exam I got a B in the source based paper (Women Suffrage) and a U in the Russia paper (Tsar, Lenin and Stalin - which I will be retaking) so overall I got a D.

Now in A2 I'm struggling quite a lot and have been predicted a C but really want a A/B at a-level so I can go to a good uni, though I will be studying English.
I will be retaking the Russia unit so it can boost my AS grade but I don't understand how it can boost my A2 grades as ucas points come from the grades you get in A2 right?

I seem to be doing really badly in my essays both source based and normal essays if that makes sense? HELP!

What can I do to improve?
AS Edexcel topics

• Tsar Russia and Lenin, Stalin's Russia
  • Women Suffrage

A2 topics

• Germany 1900-45
  • Spanish History for coursework

If anyone's doing this or has done then would be great but am open to any advice.
PS: excuse the brief description of the topics!
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tessimoghaddam)
Hi, in my AS History exam I got a B in the source based paper (Women Suffrage) and a U in the Russia paper (Tsar, Lenin and Stalin - which I will be retaking) so overall I got a D.

Now in A2 I'm struggling quite a lot and have been predicted a C but really want a A/B at a-level so I can go to a good uni, though I will be studying English.
I will be retaking the Russia unit so it can boost my AS grade but I don't understand how it can boost my A2 grades as ucas points come from the grades you get in A2 right?

I seem to be doing really badly in my essays both source based and normal essays if that makes sense? HELP!

What can I do to improve?
AS Edexcel topics

• Tsar Russia and Lenin, Stalin's Russia
  • Women Suffrage

A2 topics

• Germany 1900-45
  • Spanish History for coursework

If anyone's doing this or has done then would be great but am open to any advice.
PS: excuse the brief description of the topics!
Your UCAS points come from the whole A-level not just A2.
For Tsar's Russia and Stalin, what do you think went wrong? Was it a lack of knowledge, or do you feel shaky writing essays?
You're clearly fairly able considering you got a B in the source paper so I'm sure you can replicate that in the Russia one.
tessimoghaddam
Rep:
?
Hi, in the exam we had 4 choices to choose from and we had to choose 2. First section was on the tsar and Lenin and you had to choose 1 question to choose from and I chose the first one which was on the Tsar or some persons policies (can't quite remember who) and by the time the exam was almost finished I knew I should have answered the second question instead. I knew my essay was going to be bad in that question and, I felt I didn't know enough but I also thought I didn't know much on Lenin either, which is what I think brought my mark down but I didn't think I'd get a U.... I also find it hard to structure essays as well even now in A2. Any suggestions as to how I can improve?
I got a B in the source based question which I have no idea how cause I'm usually not good with sources and also I only knew the basics of the facts if that makes sense? But I do feel like I did better revision for that unit because my friends asked me questions etc. So I have no idea! Usually I find I do better in essay based questions rather than source based questions so it was strange when I did better on the source question.
Also any tips on revision? I find it difficult revising for history cause there is just so much information to know and I get stuck trying to think of useful ways to get that information stuck in my brain!
tessimoghaddam
Rep:
?
Do you or anyone have any ideas on revision techniques, how I can structure my essays better and just how to do well?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (148)
62.45%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed