Is the UK a Christian nation? Watch

Poll: Do you consider the UK a Christian nation?
Yes (11)
23.91%
No (24)
52.17%
Kinda?... (11)
23.91%
BrightonDunkley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just wondering what everyone thinks. Is it a Christian nation? Should it be? What's your opinion
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think religion should stay the hell away from politics...
Green22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would not say that the UK is truly a Christian country but the politicians abide by their common sense for example when you commit murder you will go to jail etc.
Mia1001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Having religion as a fundamental part of a society could alienate a lot of minority groups, in my opinion
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's more of an agnostic nation. Most people don't have time to really think about it, they have more important things to worry about, they'll find out when they're dead, no sense worrying about it now.
Numan786
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a Muslim I would rather it was a Christian country but it is not one sadly.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes in that it is legally
No in that, in reality, it isn't.
So, kinda
If it is Christian it's agnostic Christian.
The_K1NG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No
Native To Europe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it is a largely Atheist country
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Numan786)
As a Muslim I would rather it was a Christian country but it is not one sadly.
Haha I agree completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think if the UK as a nation where the majority of people consider themselves to be Christian, with a growing number either belonging to another faith or considering themselves to be atheist.
scorpion95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say that yes the UK is a christian country as that is what is has been built upon, I know that the number of people attending churches are falling but that is for numerous reasons but it is still christian.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
British is a Protestant nation state.
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is. Whatever that means.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Christian based going secular. I guess the thing is when Europe adopted Christianity is moulded it to match our existing culture, so we celebrate the birth of Jesus on Christmas day for instance. It's kind of hard to really say because we have an overarching culture which transcends Christianity.
jangoice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's been built upon Christian beliefs but we're now moving away from those with changes to laws and more freedoms. I think that following by the strict rules set by the old faith the country would be out of touch and science would fall behind. However, like the current day issues we face such as cyber security, Christianity is also evolving more with more modern Christians being much more lenient on topics such as abortion, same sex marriage and alcohol. I'm a Christian but I'm a strong believer in freedom of choice and that if people want to move into new areas of science and such than old, outdated constraints should not hold them back.

Summery: Kind of a Christian country, built upon it, slowly changing. Christianity is rarely involved in the countries choices anymore.

Oh yeah, our queen is still technically "Defender of the Faith" thanks to good ol' King Henry VIII. Or so I think.
Hariex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
England has a very Christian history, for good or for worse. Most of us could walk down the street and appreciate a church monument. Faith schools, though not exclusively Christian, are still common.

In terms of culture, England is very Christian. However, in terms of belief, we are fairly atheistic. Off the top of my head, I think that the figure of 70% of people claiming to be Christians in 2001 has since dropped to 50% presently.
harryarmpits
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
I think religion should stay the hell away from politics...
religion = politics
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, it hasn't been for decades. We're majority atheist, and the number of christians will only continue to decline, thank god.

It was time churches were confiscated from this particularly religious sect and handed back to the public.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With Usury everywhere I don't think so. Christianity is dead in the UK. The laws are not made on the basis of Christianity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.35%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.45%
Nope, not that interesting (162)
40.2%

Watched Threads