toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B739 - Protection of Key Funding Bill 2015, TSR UKIP
Protection of Key Funding Bill 2015

An Act to prevent certain departments, or jobs from government funding spending in the near future

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Reduction of Funding
1) The British Government will be unable to reduce funding for the following departments until the 1st April 2018.
(A) This includes the national government in Westminster, and local councils.
(B) This also includes any funding decisions made by the governments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
2) These departments have been classified as essential, and although funding cuts to any department would be bad, and further cuts to these services would affect the health, safety or wellbeing of the current, or future generations.
3) Funding may be increased at any stage, but may never be reduced, until the date above.

2. Essential Services and Departments

1) The following services, and departments have been classified as essential to the health, safety or wellbeing of the current, or future generations and no funding cuts may be made
(A) Department of health, including all hospitals, medical treatment or medical facilities
(B) Department of Education, including all primary and secondary education facilities upto the age of 16. Along with facilities, this includes the necessary teachers and funding required to provide an excellent education
(C) The emergency services. This includes Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance. This includes all equipment necessary to carry out their duty, and the adequate number of personnel required to provide these services

Short Title, Commencement, and Extent

1) This bill, when passed, may be referred to as the Protection of Important Funding Bill 2015.
2) This Act shall come into force on the 1st April 2015.
3) This Act shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Should be up the the age of 18 as education is compulsory until 18 now.
also is this 2018 real time? If so I think this is ileagal as is stifles a future government which we aren't allowed to do right:erm: and they could just repeal this law which makes this a pretty pointless bill.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.

It is not the place of a party to bind the treasury in these difficult times.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, I appreciate the idea although it seems nonsensical for it be a bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely pointless given the sovereignty of Parliament.
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. I'd prefer this to come from the Chancellor (as the person responsible for finances on behalf of the government), than a party.
TeeEff
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. This isn't really enforceable, and given the necessity of flexibility when it comes to dealing with government finances, this should remain under the treasury's responsibility.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, surely this binds a future government?
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Incredibly naive to further protect A+Es and ambulance services while Social Care is still being sliced, easier relief could be provided by investment there. Although I do approve of protecting it.

Shouldn't there be a review to determine "minimal spending requirements" first?
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surprised to see UKIP promote such a pro-spending bill - a shift to the left, perhaps?

I'll probably have to vote against it for the reason Rakas outlined, that although I broadly support the bill's sentiment I don't think binding future governments is a great idea.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
Surprised to see UKIP promote such a pro-spending bill - a shift to the left, perhaps?

I'll probably have to vote against it for the reason Rakas outlined, that although I broadly support the bill's sentiment I don't think binding future governments is a great idea.
It all reminds me of Paddy's days in charge of them (a bit before me, i came afterwards so saw the after effects though). It was a time when Tory+Libers ruled and where even the Liberals and Ukip were viewed as commies.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Legal Eagle)
No. I'd prefer this to come from the Chancellor (as the person responsible for finances on behalf of the government), than a party.
I would love to see it from the chancellor myself, but the government seem to be lacking this term in economic legislation
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay - you can't bind Parliament so this Bill is unfortunately about as useful as a chocolate teapot: it might look yummy but good luck getting it to actually do what it's supposed to! I do appreciate the sentiment though
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
This is in cessation.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
This has been withdrawn
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (37)
13.5%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (22)
8.03%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (58)
21.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (40)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (33)
12.04%
How can I be the best version of myself? (84)
30.66%

Watched Threads