The Student Room Group

Pushing people away without realising it?

Basically, I've came to the conclusion that the reason why all of my friendships have resulted into nothing is because I push those closest to me away.

I'm in my first year at Uni now and all my flatmates are getting a house together for next year, yet I've chosen to live with another group of friends. This seemed like a good idea at the time because I thought I got along with this other group and they really wanted me to live with them. I also wasn't sure whether my current flatmates wanted me to live with them.

However, I now totally regret choosing to live with them. I'm starting to feel closer with my current flatmates as I'm beginning to open up more. I've always had trouble opening up to people as I've gotten it into my head that it's weak and that people have to see me at my best.

This is going to come across really mean, but I can't help the way I feel... The friendship group I have chosen to live with next year are all pretty socially awkward. They annoy me half the time and don't like going to the same clubs I do. I'm not sure what was going through my mind when I said I'd live with them.

Basically, upon trying to find a group of friends I fit in with, I've pushed away a perfectly good friendship group that was right in front of my eyes due to my own insecurities.

Looking back, I've realised that this has happened throughout my life. My closest group of friends I've ever had back in secondary school thought I hated them because I pushed them away so much.

Anyone have any advice or experienced something similar? I'm sick of making the same mistakes.
I ain't dis-satisfied with living by myself and you probably won't be either. Take care
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
I ain't dis-satisfied with living by myself and you probably won't be either. Take care

I don't want to live by myself...
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to live by myself...

Then learn from the mistake that you claim you know by now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending