The Student Room Group

A2 Biology - module options

If i carry on with biology next year (A2) then one of the modules my school has 'chosen' for us is Application of Genetics. However, genetics is my least favourite area of biology and there is another option i would much rather do which is Environmental Biology. I'd rather do this because i find it much more interesting and i've touched on many areas of it in my AS geography course and i want to do geography at university. However this would mean self teaching myself the whole module if i was allowed to do that option. Do you think i would be allowed to?? (I bet i wouldn't be.) Has anyone else done a different module to the rest of their class? I really do *hate* genetics by the way!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. I can't really speak for your school, best way is to ask your teach asap. However, I think self-teaching yourself a module could be really difficult. I know genetics can be a bit confusing, but I think self-teaching yourself environmental biology might end up being as difficult as being taught genetics. It depends how quick you are to catch on to things really. Have you ever taught yourself things in the past and done well?
Reply 2
Ellie4
Hey. I can't really speak for your school, best way is to ask your teach asap. However, I think self-teaching yourself a module could be really difficult. I know genetics can be a bit confusing, but I think self-teaching yourself environmental biology might end up being as difficult as being taught genetics. It depends how quick you are to catch on to things really. Have you ever taught yourself things in the past and done well?

No i haven't taught myself whole modules in the past, although because of long term teacher absence this year and crap cover teachers i have kind of had to teach myself a lot of Health and Disease! Looking at the Environmental module, i have covered a lot of it in geography already and it seems sooooo much more interesting!

1. Ecological Fieldwork - i've done nearly all of this section in AS geog.
2. Pollution - seems learnable
3. Agriculture - seems to cover a mixture of AS and A2 geog topics and is interesting, unlike genetics
4. Conservation of resources - geog-like (again!)
5. Conservation issues - geog-like

I love geog :cool: :biggrin:
Reply 3
Well that sounds great (kinda sounds like it was written for you tbh!). I'd advise you to talk to your teachers as soon as you get back and see what they say :smile:
Reply 4
Ellie4
Well that sounds great (kinda sounds like it was written for you tbh!). I'd advise you to talk to your teachers as soon as you get back and see what they say :smile:

Yeah it does sound like it was written for me hehe. Thank youu x
Reply 5
The OCR green books are fantastic. I bunked most of my lessons this year and am teaching myself Mammalian Physiology and the book is very good at explaining the topics. Im sure if you commit enough time ,you will be able to do this topic yourself; and if there are a couple of tough points, your teacher would help you as well.
Reply 6
SiAnY
If i carry on with biology next year (A2) then one of the modules my school has 'chosen' for us is Application of Genetics. However, genetics is my least favourite area of biology and there is another option i would much rather do which is Environmental Biology. I'd rather do this because i find it much more interesting and i've touched on many areas of it in my AS geography course and i want to do geography at university. However this would mean self teaching myself the whole module if i was allowed to do that option. Do you think i would be allowed to?? (I bet i wouldn't be.) Has anyone else done a different module to the rest of their class? I really do *hate* genetics by the way!

You got Genetics... You don't know how lucky you are :biggrin:
Reply 7
SiAnY

hey.. yes u be making the right choice not to do genetics.. im doing the A2 bio at the moment and i have to do the applications of genetics and i have to say its soooooo difficult!!.. if i were u i would definetly do environmental biology, even if it means teaching myself the whole module!
Reply 8
Tanaz
hey.. yes u be making the right choice not to do genetics.. im doing the A2 bio at the moment and i have to do the applications of genetics and i have to say its soooooo difficult!!.. if i were u i would definetly do environmental biology, even if it means teaching myself the whole module!

I bet you anything my teachers will say NO WAY. Lol.
Reply 9
surprised they picked genetics for you..we were told that was the hardest of them..so few people did it. (perhaps paradoxically the people who did got the highest grades overall i think, but that was probably a self selection thing?)

the perk of going to a huge 6th form was we had a choice of all of them.. & the most popular was 'mammalian physiology & behaviour' (touted as the "easy" but lots of content option..)

bets bet is to ask the school i suppose..although i can see why they'd be reluctant to let you do that.. but if you did well at AS, are a highly motivated student in general & get some of the subject teachers on side then i suppose they might..
Elles
surprised they picked genetics for you..we were told that was the hardest of them..so few people did it. (perhaps paradoxically the people who did got the highest grades overall i think, but that was probably a self selection thing?)

the perk of going to a huge 6th form was we had a choice of all of them.. & the most popular was 'mammalian physiology & behaviour' (touted as the "easy" but lots of content option..)

bets bet is to ask the school i suppose..although i can see why they'd be reluctant to let you do that.. but if you did well at AS, are a highly motivated student in general & get some of the subject teachers on side then i suppose they might..

Yeah after reading the spec genetics does seem the hardest and most boring option.
Reply 11
SiAnY
Yeah after reading the spec genetics does seem the hardest and most boring option.

well..i chose it! :wink:

wasn't that keen on all the agricultural applications.

but i have a slight fond spot for genetics that still hasn't gone at undergrad. level.. :tongue:
At my college we could choose which of the optional modules to do, but we had to self teach. It was weird to begin with - not necessarily learning the same thing as the person sat next to you, and alot of the time I ended up just copying out big chunks of the text book. After a few weeks it got better (and learnt how useful diagrams are!), and I actually really enjoyed the self teaching. I've just finished Mammalian Physiology, and I have found there is a lot of detail you need to learn. Some of my friends did the Environmental option (mostly those who were already doing Geography or Env Science A-level), and there seems to be alot of overlap with these subjects. My teachers admit that the Env. Bio option is the easiest
Reply 13
I self taught myself my optional biology module as well, and i did mammalian physiology/behaviour. My teacher was saying that it is the longest module to do, and i definately agree with that because it is paper heavy, but i wouldn't have wanted to do any of the others. I was thinking of doing growth development and reproduction, but i can't stand plants so that idea didn't last long.
Lupin Loopy
At my college we could choose which of the optional modules to do, but we had to self teach. It was weird to begin with - not necessarily learning the same thing as the person sat next to you, and alot of the time I ended up just copying out big chunks of the text book. After a few weeks it got better (and learnt how useful diagrams are!), and I actually really enjoyed the self teaching. I've just finished Mammalian Physiology, and I have found there is a lot of detail you need to learn. Some of my friends did the Environmental option (mostly those who were already doing Geography or Env Science A-level), and there seems to be alot of overlap with these subjects. My teachers admit that the Env. Bio option is the easiest

I soo wish i could choose, i really do want to do Env Bio. I'm gonna ask when i start the A2 in June.
Sarky
I self taught myself my optional biology module as well, and i did mammalian physiology/behaviour. My teacher was saying that it is the longest module to do, and i definately agree with that because it is paper heavy, but i wouldn't have wanted to do any of the others. I was thinking of doing growth development and reproduction, but i can't stand plants so that idea didn't last long.

Seems like a few people have self-taught themselves successfully. I would feel weird to not be going to the lessons (but i don't really like the lessons anyway).
SiAnY
Seems like a few people have self-taught themselves successfully. I would feel weird to not be going to the lessons (but i don't really like the lessons anyway).

We still had to go to lessons. Every now and then our teacher would go over the more difficult parts
Reply 17
Lupin Loopy
We still had to go to lessons. Every now and then our teacher would go over the more difficult parts

I didn't have any lessons at all as i'm doing something called "open learning biology" which is like doing a home study course. I still found it ok.
Reply 18
the thing is, alot of people take chemistry alongside biology, and "Applications Of Genetics" involves alot of chemistry as well as biology, so chances are you'd be outvoted.

BUT i must say this, I've looked at the Environmental option book before, and it is FULL OF WORDY TEXT, so i dont recommend it. I personally did the "Mammalian option" which is ok, but its clustered with weird names and inner molecular biology that is quite difficult. Trust me out of all the module options, Environmental will be the boringest, and boring things tend to make people dont wanna revise it......
~Revol~
the thing is, alot of people take chemistry alongside biology, and "Applications Of Genetics" involves alot of chemistry as well as biology, so chances are you'd be outvoted.

BUT i must say this, I've looked at the Environmental option book before, and it is FULL OF WORDY TEXT, so i dont recommend it. I personally did the "Mammalian option" which is ok, but its clustered with weird names and inner molecular biology that is quite difficult. Trust me out of all the module options, Environmental will be the boringest, and boring things tend to make people dont wanna revise it......

I don't do chemistry but about half (maybe more) of my class do i think. But there are only *counts* 11 people in my class. The environmental option may seem boring to you but i'm really interested in it :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending