Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone do growth, reproduction and development or is that just me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I'd rather do this because i find it much more interesting and i've touched on many areas of it in my AS geography course and i want to do geography at university.
    *joy* great geography and environmental studies tie in so well, i'm having to do virtually no revision for tomorrows exam because of my geographical knowledge.

(Original post by SiAnY)
    However this would mean self teaching myself the whole module if i was allowed to do that option. Do you think i would be allowed to?? (I bet i wouldn't be.)
    it's possible that they will allow you to do it on your own; it's not in the least bit difficult, and as you do geog it'd tie in really well

ReputationRep:
    i do genetics, it was chosen for us, but it really isnt that bad! i mean i would have prefered mammalian physiology coz i like anatomy etc but if ur worried about genetics coz of all the punnet squares etc its only 1 chapter in the book, the others are relitively easy in comparison.
    ali

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Revol~)
    the thing is, alot of people take chemistry alongside biology, and "Applications Of Genetics" involves alot of chemistry as well as biology, so chances are you'd be outvoted.

BUT i must say this, I've looked at the Environmental option book before, and it is FULL OF WORDY TEXT, so i dont recommend it. I personally did the "Mammalian option" which is ok, but its clustered with weird names and inner molecular biology that is quite difficult. Trust me out of all the module options, Environmental will be the boringest, and boring things tend to make people dont wanna revise it......
    There is no chemistry in applications of genetics! I'm doing it now (exam tomorrow!) and i love it! I think almost all of it is really interesting, except for one tiny bit on plants which is dull! Maybe you were getting mixed up with the chemistry option Biochemistry, which involves a lot of foundation biology and is good for biologists? Good luck to everyone doing these modules tomorrow ! Jess

ReputationRep:
    i had to do the mammalian one, I would have LOVED to do the environment one! I think I could take it now and safely get 90%+ but school wouldnt let me. I don't know anyone who actually does environmental, for me, a geogo kenno it would be PERFECT!

ReputationRep:
    I have to do the environmental option next year and it is the one i would have picked last it sounds really boring to me. I really wanted to do genetics, and mammalian physiology sounds good as well but our teacher reckons they're too hard for some of our class (even tho she is leaving before A2 she has picked our module) I am really not looking forward to it esp since it sounds like geog, my least fav subject ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    surprised they picked genetics for you..we were told that was the hardest of them..so few people did it. (perhaps paradoxically the people who did got the highest grades overall i think, but that was probably a self selection thing?)

the perk of going to a huge 6th form was we had a choice of all of them.. & the most popular was 'mammalian physiology & behaviour' (touted as the "easy" but lots of content option..)

bets bet is to ask the school i suppose..although i can see why they'd be reluctant to let you do that.. but if you did well at AS, are a highly motivated student in general & get some of the subject teachers on side then i suppose they might..
    i quite like genetics...our school teaches it because they say it's most useful for anyone going on to do anything vaguely biology-y because genetics is advancing so much at the moment. i do geography and the environmental option sounds hideous - i much prefer human geography and found the conservation and succession bits in central concepts so boring! i haven't found genetics too hard and i think all the stuff about gene therapy etc is really interesting...but each to their own i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i quite like genetics...our school teaches it because they say it's most useful for anyone going on to do anything vaguely biology-y because genetics is advancing so much at the moment. i do geography and the environmental option sounds hideous - i much prefer human geography and found the conservation and succession bits in central concepts so boring! i haven't found genetics too hard and i think all the stuff about gene therapy etc is really interesting...but each to their own i guess!
    well, yes.. & considering i'm sitting a first year medicine Biochem & genetics paper in just under 2 hours i think it is quite useful!

my comments were just general about most people who do A2 Bio..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    well, yes.. & considering i'm sitting a first year medicine Biochem & genetics paper in just under 2 hours i think it is quite useful!

my comments were just general about most people who do A2 Bio..
    GOOD LUCK!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    thank hun. just got back.. my hair is stiff (cream) & upon taking of my shirt it seems that hundreds & thousands & then champagne had interesting effect!

now need to prepare for ball...yay!

(thinking i shall have a physiology viva in just over a week though..damn..but oh well..)

ReputationRep:
    Yay, i am allowed to do the environment option next year if i want, as are some other people in my class, but we will have to teach it to ourselves. But i might not be carrying on with bio now...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.