The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monafox
how many colonies are in a better position now than before colonialism?'.

Well, most are. That simply because of the massive spread of technology and medical advances over the last 100-200 years.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute that largely to colonialism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lilacwanda28
The British Empire is so hypocritical. There they were conquering all these lands and ruining all these people's lives, imposing their religion, language, lifestyle and power over them, and yet now we have political parties like UKIP wanting to stop immigration. So they can have second homes in Spain and travel and dominate wherever they want but no one else is allowed in this country?!

lmao yeah that reminds me

Original post by neal95
If you say that the British oppressed you so much, why adopt their customs, speak their language an move to their country? If you are not a positive minded and proud citizen then what point is there you living here?

Fun New Idea: people are allowed to live in a country AND critically examine (and even criticise!) said country's history/customs/politics at the same time.
Original post by monafox
how many colonies are in a better position now than before colonialism?
so the numerous barbaric acts such as vast genocides and brutal concentration camps, torture centres are civilised in your opinion? interesting.
And btw i'm not blaming british people for these acts but you can't possibly defend the extremely barbaric acts committed by the Britain in order to 'civilise'.

IMO the majority of the countries Britain has been in have fare better afterwards. I'm not sure of the other countries, but the British in India is way overstated and it wasn't as many people say. They treated Indians in a civil manner and yes, whilst they were obviously not seen as equivalent to a white British person, they were not enslaved in their own lands. It's the savage afghanistanis who turned on the British and mainly very conservative Hindus. The Sikhs were revered and proud warriors and allies of the British as evidenced by 2 world wars and alexander the greats attitude towards them.
An interesting piece of history to look into is the role of the British in the Bengal famines of the late 1800's. Truly saddening.
Reply 85
I hate the British empire because it is the primary cause and catalyst of my country of descent's complete and utter ruin. If it weren't for the British empire I would be relaxing by the beach rn, in 25-30 degree heat in a politically and socially stable, peaceful and calm state.

But alas, instead I'm STUCK HERE in the cold, unable to speak my mother tongue on a daily basis and in a country which caused my parent's country's ruin. I wish I could live in my country of origin but because of your forefathers, I CANNOT. Thanks a ****ing lot.
Reply 86
Original post by neal95
IMO the majority of the countries Britain has been in have fare better afterwards. I'm not sure of the other countries, but the British in India is way overstated and it wasn't as many people say. They treated Indians in a civil manner and yes, whilst they were obviously not seen as equivalent to a white British person, they were not enslaved in their own lands. It's the savage afghanistanis who turned on the British and mainly very conservative Hindus. The Sikhs were revered and proud warriors and allies of the British as evidenced by 2 world wars and alexander the greats attitude towards them.

Same story in somalia.

except they befriend couple of tribes and turned them against us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by молодой гений
Fun New Idea: people are allowed to live in a country AND critically examine (and even criticise!) said country's history/customs/politics at the same time.

Are they? Look at the France attacks and ask yourself, do you really feel safe/allowed to express your views? Would you be so open about them if you lived in a ghetto in Bradford? How about Saudi Arabia or Jordan or the countless other Muslim countries were flogging is allowed. Immigrants have it easy here and the more they stop moaning and start being greatful the better it will be
Reply 88
Original post by shaka33
I hate the British empire because it is the primary cause and catalyst of my country of descent's complete and utter ruin. If it weren't for the British empire I would be relaxing by the beach rn, in 25-30 degree heat in a politically and socially stable, peaceful and calm state.

But alas, instead I'm STUCK HERE in the cold, unable to speak my mother tongue on a daily basis and in a country which caused my parent's country's ruin. I wish I could live in my country of origin but because of your forefathers, I CANNOT. Thanks a ****ing lot.

PREACH SISTER.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Duncan2012
So what? In 1AD the same figure was above 30% before dropping. The decrease coincides with the emergence of the United States. Your post proves nothing (Source:https://infogr.am/Share-of-world-GDP-throughout-history)

When the United States emerged, the imperial powers' GDPs still grew, while India's, for instance, decreased. The United States clearly didn't affect Britain's economy that much, so I see no reason why it should have affected India's. However, when you have an imperial power exploiting your resources, that will tend to happen.
Original post by viddy9
The British Empire was, overall, a force for bad in the world. It took from its colonies, exploited them, and brought them little benefit. A clear example of this was in India. According to the highly respected Cambridge historian Angus Maddison, India's GDP share relative to the rest of the world was 24.4% in 1700. By 1870, it had more than halved to 12.1%, and by 1950 it was a small 4.2%. Since independence, its share of GDP has risen.

That was also the case with China, which wasn't affected by the colonialists till the late 1800's.

India's percentage GDP in the year 0 was 35% according to Maddison. It has always decreased since that point.

It was already decreasing before colonisation. IT decreased after.

So, if you are going to come up with nonsense, at least make sure it makes sense.
Original post by shaka33

Which country would that be? If it's Somali you've had 55 years to sort yourselves out but instead look what your people have done. How dare you sit here in a civilised, democratic and stable country and complain. British blood has been sacrificed througout history to provide those freedoms. No one is stopping you leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by neal95

i'm sure there were a few positive effects of the empire but you admit that the British Empire was ultimately evil and barbaric and didn't care too much about the people in their colonies like indians for example as they wouldn't have let them starve to death? i hope you're not an empire apologist
Reply 93
Original post by DorianGrayism
That was also the case with China, which wasn't affected by the colonialists till the late 1800's.

India's percentage GDP in the year 0 was 35% according to Maddison. It has always decreased since that point.

It was already decreasing before colonisation. IT decreased after.

So, if you are going to come up with nonsense, at least make sure it makes sense.

So, during those 1700 years, its rate of decline was 0.006% of GDP per year. Then, suddenly, from 1700-1870, the rate of decline is suddenly 0.07% per year, and then from 1870 until around independence it was 0.1% per year. That's a pretty big difference, and the causal link is the exploitation of India's resources by the British Empire.

Establishing causation is admittedly difficult, but the bottom line is that Britain had no right to be there and certainly didn't bring any real benefits at all - under their watch, India's decline in GDP massively accelerated and tens of millions were killed in famines that occurred due to foolish British policies, just as millions died due to Mao's bad policies in China.
Reply 94
Which country would that be? If it's Somali you've had 55 years to sort yourselves out but instead look what your people have done. How dare you sit here in a civilised, democratic and stable country and complain. British blood has been sacrificed througout history to provide those freedoms. No one is stopping you leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL if it was only that easy.

The fact that each state has a president should tell you something, you ****tard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
PREACH SISTER.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why are you posting pictures of somalia after the British colonized it? I thought we wrecked it :rolleyes:
Yes I do.

Unfortunately my country was too ruined for us to ever go there.

Yes that is really unfortunate.
Reply 97
Original post by intelligent con
why are you posting pictures of somalia after the British colonized it? I thought we wrecked it :rolleyes:

stop trolling me.
This is a serious thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98

Posted from TSR Mobile

You evidently have no knowledge when it comes to international relations and the deliberate Western influence on the stagnant political/social progression in African countries. As this is clearly the case, I will not debate this topic with you any further.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL if it was only that easy.

The fact that each state has a president should tell you something, you ****tard.

Post reported.

Username noted down for behaviour monitoring.

Latest