Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My dad won't let me buy a book from the Amazon website because he doesn't want to give out his credit card details over the net (etc) but the books on there are so cheap compared to bookshops. How can i persuade him into buying me something?

ReputationRep:
    i think they take solo and switch too, so if you've got your own account you'd probably be able to buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    My dad won't let me buy a book from the Amazon website because he doesn't want to give out his credit card details over the net (etc) but the books on there are so cheap compared to bookshops. How can i persuade him into buying me something?
    you cant, old people dont trust it no matter how much you say.

i only start buyin form it when i got me own credit card...but they take debit cards too dont they?

ReputationRep:
    if he's being like that then he probably wont change his mind...but millions of people use it, so it is obviously safe, old (in loose terms, and generalising)people are often funny about things like that. have you tried telling him it is perfectly safe and stuff? would he prefer him being there and seeing you do it? if he refuses outright i would try an older brother/sister for their credit card, or your mum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i think they take solo and switch too, so if you've got your own account you'd probably be able to buy it.
    I'll look into that!

ReputationRep:
    Yeap, they definately accept solo cards I use mine all the time. You can actually send them a cheque instead to pay for it if you don't like using cards - It will take a while for you to get your stuff though. When you've payed for your stuff, go to 'checkout' and there's a bit where you can select to pay by cheque and they'll give you an address to post it to.

ReputationRep:
    I buy books off amazon all the time. Just tell your dad that millions of people do it all the time. It is perfectly safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I buy books off amazon all the time. Just tell your dad that millions of people do it all the time. It is perfectly safe.
    Yeah i told him that but he still doesn't think it's safe! Argghh. I'll try again when he comes home from work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Just memorise his credit card number. You won't need his permission to buy books from then on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking)
    Just memorise his credit card number. You won't need his permission to buy books from then on.
    Oh yeah, like he won't notice when he gets the bill. *lol*

ReputationRep:
    I love amazon - especially the used books section, as you get almost new books far cheaper than in the shops.

Personally, I've never had a problem with paying on Amazon, but the older generation are very wary - and with good cause sometimes (i.e. paypal isn't highly regarded by a lot of people after getting ripped off). You could always make a wish list and ask people to buy books for you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    www.bookbrain.co.uk to compare new book prices
    www.abe.com for second hand books. Use advanced search for different countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    You could always make a wish list and ask people to buy books for you :rolleyes:
    Or you could steal them from the library like I do. Nothing better than a five finger discount.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could steal them from the library like I do. Nothing better than a five finger discount.
    thats what i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    thats what i did
    What's your technique? Mine is armed robbery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Yeah i told him that but he still doesn't think it's safe! Argghh. I'll try again when he comes home from work

Another option is to check walmart. When walmart has a book it is normally cheaper than other places.

ReputationRep:
    No! Libraries are a public convenience and don't do that

The books are put there for everybody to use - it costs nothing to hire them out or renew, so don't deprive others of the chance to read them.

Thats such a silly idea. It's made me sad that people would do that

ReputationRep:
    No! Libraries are a public convenience and don't do that

The books are put there for everybody to use - it costs nothing to hire them out or renew, so don't deprive others of the chance to read them.

Thats such a silly idea. It's made me sad that people would do that
    I don't deprive others of reading the books. I sell the books off at competitive prices. So if anything, I'm doing them a favour.

ReputationRep:
    I don't deprive others of reading the books. I sell the books off at competitive prices. So if anything, I'm doing them a favour.
    how so? cos by you knicking them and then selling them off they have to pay to get the books, not pick them up for free :confused:

ReputationRep:
    how so? cos by you knicking them and then selling them off they have to pay to get the books, not pick them up for free :confused:
    Yes, but I sell the books to them at half the regular price. I'm a Good Samaritan.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.