Where is all this cancer research money going?

Watch
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
All the money raised for years n years why are people still dying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
channies
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably to fund the TV adverts to raise more money

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rugar Rell)
All the money raised for years n years why are people still dying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are many cancers and cancer is a complex illness.You not going to cure it in a fortnight by throwing money at it.
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile
There are many cancers and cancer is a complex illness.You not going to cure it in a fortnight by throwing money at it.
Its been longer than a fortnight...

Posted from TSR Mobile
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cancer Research UK
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk...idiaryNumber=0

With this charity, most of their spending is charitable spending, rather than income generation (which will include things like advertising). All good charities need to spend some money to advertise and generate more money.
Xenorebrem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess we could try praying instead.

:rolleyes:
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rugar Rell)
Its been longer than a fortnight...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cancer isn't something that cures itself by having lots of money thrown at it.
Blank786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cancer is a complex disease and there are lots of different types. Efforts are being made on more vigorous screening processes, treating 1/3 of cancers which are preventable and also finding new ways of management without having chemotherapy. To do this research money is going on how many people are at risk of cancer (1/2 of us) and how we can prevent the onset of cancer and how we can better manage and provide alternative treatments that would allow people more independence within their lifestyle
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Research is a lot more expensive than people give it credit for. In my current research project we are looking at cancer, and it cost us £300 for a single stock of antibody, and we are using three batches of antibody plus a number of other expensive reagents. That would take a whole bunch of sponsored runs to raise, and it is only a crappy undergrad project. The actual big studies to develop new drugs can cost millions.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cancer survival rates have actually exploded in the last 10-20 years. There are some forms we can reliably cure, and lots of new forms of targeted chemotherapy which are greatly improving chance of cure and survival time.

But cancer is not one disease. It better to think of each type of cancer as a different disease that will need a different treatment - that's a lot of diseases and it will take some time.

We are nowhere near there yet, but progress is being made rapidly. Medical science has never progressed at anywhere near the rate it is progressing now, in large part thanks to the kind donations of the public to charities like Cancer Research.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed